PDA

View Full Version : Low wheel selection?

Sammich
2012.10.02, 01:11 PM
I've been doing some searching, mainly for some aluminum wheels, but also for some other plastic/delrin wheels, and some S6 wheels, trying to mainly find some +3W rears and some, between, +1/+2 Front, for beating around and some for racing. I dont know if the online places i've been looking are the wrong places, but i just cant seem to find wheels.

let's say i've searching for S6 wheels, primarily for around the house. i'm looking for +3W rears and +2 front...i can't find them. even in different colors, is it possible to get some assistance. i hate making a unnecessary thread as i've done tons of searching and shopping on EGR mart, atomic and other countless sites i've shopped on..i just can't find the wheels i'm looking for. any assistance will be appreciated.

mleemor60
2012.10.02, 02:00 PM
Bryan, The S6 wheels from Atomic I believe are all delrin and come in .5mm increments from 0 to 1.5* offset for the fronts in both 19 and 20mm and available in white or black. The rears are available from 0 to 1.0mm in the rear 20mm only in both colors. They are of exceptional quality and durability. Atomic has a line of dished wheels available in all offsets in black, white and chrome. Construction is plastic and they can be fragile in the bearing web area. They also make a line of 20mm spoked wheels in a double 5 spoke pattern in all colors including chrome. These are quite fragile so I would use them only in an emergency. EGR mart is(it seems) reducing their options for aluminum wheels to just a few of the most popular offsets from Atlas.

PN has a wide variety of wheels available as well. You can check their site for options. They used to have quite an array of their own aluminum wheels that were nice looking and reasonably durable.

R-246 which is Kyosho's performance line has several designs of Aluminum wheels as well so don't forget to check them out. The line is available through the re-sellers like TinyRC and PN(RC Kenon).

You should also check our forum benefactor at TinyRC.com. He tries to keep an inventory of the most used wheels from all the manufacturers so you should give them a try first.

It can be a bit daunting. Especially until you land on a chassis set up and body style for racing. Once that is completed the task gets easier and more specific.

Anybody on the forum will help you all they can. Just ask.

arch2b
2012.10.02, 02:12 PM
there are 8 examples of +3 rear wheels available in the shop here alone from PN, 2 examples for atomic, 2 examples for kyosho.

simply put, mini-z shops don't carry a lot of overhead these days due to decline in sales in a recession. no one wants to have an overstock inventory of aluminum wheels which are more expensive than plastics holding up capitol that could otherwise be spent on items with higher turnover. it's not always easy finding everything you want to get in a single location. you can email a shop to inquire about restocking particular parts. most are happy to look into that for you but anyone looking for the immediate purchase may just find shopping to be frustrating.

just check the usual domestic shops and pull your orders to the least number as as possible. otherwise, email the the shop you prefer and ask for reorders.

Sammich
2012.10.02, 02:14 PM
Bryan, The S6 wheels from Atomic I believe are all delrin and come in .5mm increments from 0 to 1.5* offset for the fronts in both 19 and 20mm and available in white or black. The rears are available from 0 to 1.0mm in the rear 20mm only in both colors. They are of exceptional quality and durability. Atomic has a line of dished wheels available in all offsets in black, white and chrome. Construction is plastic and they can be fragile in the bearing web area. They also make a line of 20mm spoked wheels in a double 5 spoke pattern in all colors including chrome. These are quite fragile so I would use them only in an emergency. EGR mart is(it seems) reducing their options for aluminum wheels to just a few of the most popular offsets from Atlas.

PN has a wide variety of wheels available as well. You can check their site for options. They used to have quite an array of their own aluminum wheels that were nice looking and reasonably durable.

R-246 which is Kyosho's performance line has several designs of Aluminum wheels as well so don't forget to check them out. The line is available through the re-sellers like TinyRC and PN(RC Kenon).

You should also check our forum benefactor at TinyRC.com. He tries to keep an inventory of the most used wheels from all the manufacturers so you should give them a try first.

It can be a bit daunting. Especially until you land on a chassis set up and body style for racing. Once that is completed the task gets easier and more specific.

Anybody on the forum will help you all they can. Just ask.

Yea, that's part of the aesthetic 'problem' i'm running into as you mentioned the offsets available. I can't find the S6 or anything that resembles that wheel design in +3 for the rear and +2 for the front.

Even the CE28 aluminum wheels, i cant find in a +3/R +2/F selection. i wouldnt mind one or 2 sets of one of these few wheels for around the house or at the tennis court, but i just cant seem to find them around anywhere in teh offsets i'm desiring. i'd like both to be flush if i'm just beating around. For functionality, it's a totally different ball game. I've check tinyrc as well, with no luck. i'll try to do a more in depth search for R246 Kyoshos but i think i've exhausted everywhere i've looked online.

Sammich
2012.10.02, 02:17 PM
there are 8 examples of +3 rear wheels available in the shop here alone from PN, 2 examples for atomic, 2 examples for kyosho.

simply put, mini-z shops don't carry a lot of overhead these days due to decline in sales in a recession. no one wants to have an overstock inventory of aluminum wheels which are more expensive than plastics holding up capitol that could otherwise be spent on items with higher turnover. it's not always easy finding everything you want to get in a single location. you can email a shop to inquire about restocking particular parts. most are happy to look into that for you but anyone looking for the immediate purchase may just find shopping to be frustrating.

just check the usual domestic shops and pull your orders to the least number as as possible. otherwise, email the the shop you prefer and ask for reorders.

ok that makes alot of sense. i remember emailing EGR mart about some team atlas wheels, i think they couldnt get a certain size in. but i'll contact these other sources i've seen and see what i can get my hands on. thanks alot

mleemor60
2012.10.02, 04:22 PM
Another concern with using high offset aluminum wheels is the bend factor. The more leverage(distance from bearing) that can be applied to the outer edge the easier it is to bend the spokes.

If you can find a set, try using Mosler wheels. Nice BBS style spoke design. They are +2 front and +3 rear. They can be painted easily to match whatever color you want and are pretty sturdy. They are all I use for racing.

Sammich
2012.10.02, 04:44 PM
I really dont like web design that BBS has in relation to the HSV body, maybe the McLaren spare i have, but i really dont run that around too much. I'm more of a spoke design person w/ this particular body.

i like the PN solid delrin wheels for racing, personally, so far.

i appreciate that input though.

arch2b
2012.10.02, 04:49 PM
in 10+ years, i've bent maybe 2-3 aluminum wheels. i think that concern is highly overblown. i have tossed countless plastics wheels however due to cracked hubs, spokes, rim edge, etc. the bigger issue people seen to have with aluminum wheels is simply the weight.

Sammich
2012.10.02, 04:52 PM
only reason i want the aluminum is for around the house/aesthetics. i wont be running these during the race, what so ever. MAYBE to see a before and after affect during practice of how many seconds it takes off of normal or HL times, but that's it.

hatley
2012.10.02, 08:01 PM
I have a set of spoke 3s front and rear they r at high-speed on a car but I can pull them and send them to u they r alum.

Sammich
2012.10.03, 10:54 AM
i'm unsure of the wheels you are speaking about hatley..