PDA

View Full Version : Zombie R1... can it be brought back?

imxlr8ed
2012.10.20, 11:44 AM
I'm about to either fry an ASF module or resurrect my JR R1 radio. But before I go mixing pinouts and powering up things incorrectly, I'm curious if you can give me any guidance here. I've always liked my R1 and I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to run a MiniZ. I'm really getting confused trying to find the pinout information for the 901 module and there is nothing out there as far as guidance for the R1.

So far, I have the ASF Module fitted into an old synthesised FM module for the R1, I have the wires ready to go into the ASF, but I'm still not exactly sure which should go where.

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated!

imxlr8ed
2012.10.23, 01:09 AM
Well, after exhaustive web research, and what I was sure was going to be the coolest update I've ever made to any of my gear... My R1 is now toast. :(

It still, technically speaking, works, but I somehow managed to fry the display. Either I bumped wires during testing, or I just didn't hook it up right. The 901 module is fine though... At least it wasn't a total electronics cookout! I've now gutted that and installed the little black box from it to get one of my KT18s working again (yipee! :rolleyes: ). At least I've got an extra controller for friends now.

Ah well, win some, lose some!

I'm pretty sure I had it wired right though, but I didn't realize tje display was out until I flipped the radio over and powered it up again. Kinda hard to guess where all the settings are when there are so many on that thing. I have dissected the radio, and there is a single resistor on the board that looks slightly baked so I may try to swap it out yet... but I think for now I'll just quit while I'm ahead.

Sorry I didn't wait for a response... I get a bit impatient when I've got a gear ripped apart and a solder gun in my hand!