PDA

View Full Version : Tips for fastening tire nuts

nmodin
2012.10.30, 01:23 PM
Howdy,

A newb question here. I have an issue where I've gotten a crack in the body so the front gives a little causing my front tire getting into contact with the body if I bump and turn at the same time. That usually ends up with my tire getting torn of the wheel.

The solution for this was superglue and carving, but I still get contact sometimes, which made me put on new wheels (+-0 instead of +2) on my Weider body. Now the issue is that my pit crew doesn't seem to know how to fasten the nut anymore. :D

Is there some easy way to be able to actually fasten it without completely freeze the wheel up ? Now I just go by fingerspitzgefuhl with a catastrophic loss of a front wheel after a few laps ...

Would it be possible to add a tiny shim that just makes contact with the inner part of the bearing or something like that ? Some grease in the nut ? Sacrificing a virgin pit crew member under a full moon ?

briankstan
2012.10.30, 02:06 PM
get the lock nuts, (PN, Atomic, Kyosho, they are all good). Tighten them down, then back them up about 1/4 turn. you don't want the pressure on the bearing, but you also don't want a lot of slop in there either. Wheel should spin free.

if the broken body is the issue, fix it or replace it, changing the wheels offset won't make the problem go away. it will also affect the handling.

nmodin
2012.10.30, 02:46 PM
get the lock nuts, (PN, Atomic, Kyosho, they are all good). Tighten them down, then back them up about 1/4 turn. you don't want the pressure on the bearing, but you also don't want a lot of slop in there either. Wheel should spin free.

if the broken body is the issue, fix it or replace it, changing the wheels offset won't make the problem go away. it will also affect the handling.

I have that blue nut from Kyosho, but it still comes of. I guess I'll just keep trying to get it just right. Do they wear out btw ? Would I have better luck with a new nut perhaps ?

I don't mind the difference in handling actually since we are running on a mini rpc track where the narrower wheels seems to produce tighter cornering.

briankstan
2012.10.30, 05:58 PM
I have that blue nut from Kyosho, but it still comes of. I guess I'll just keep trying to get it just right. Do they wear out btw ? Would I have better luck with a new nut perhaps ?

I don't mind the difference in handling actually since we are running on a mini rpc track where the narrower wheels seems to produce tighter cornering.

the lock nuts will wear out from time to time and should be replaced, if it's backing off by itself then it's time to change them.

bcpzx3
2013.02.05, 12:51 AM
http://questforamainchamp.blogspot.com/2012/10/bearing-shim.html

arch2b
2013.02.05, 06:37 AM
you could also try atomic S6 19mm front wheels which will give slightly more clearance between the tire and the body.