PDA

View Full Version : How to advance timing on PN motor?

SAGISI
2012.11.06, 12:17 PM
Anyone know how to get more timing out of pn motors? I heard you can advance the timing somehow.

Mike Keely
2012.11.06, 01:02 PM
You need to take the endbell off the motor and have the armature in your hand to change the timing. It is not legal for stock racing in most events. Changing the tining is more for club racing if they allow it. Some armatures will break a wire if you try to go advance the timing to much.

SAGISI
2012.11.06, 02:53 PM
You need to take the endbell off the motor and have the armature in your hand to change the timing. It is not legal for stock racing in most events. Changing the tining is more for club racing if they allow it. Some armatures will break a wire if you try to go advance the timing to much.

What are the next steps? What do you twist and in which direction? Im guessing you hold the armateur in a vice and use a pliars to turn shaft?

reaper
2012.11.06, 04:28 PM
Hold the armature and turn the comm in the opposite direction to normal travel , on turn by a few degrees or this may cause problems and any more than about 15* will make your motor run retarded
The only real way to know if you are doing it correctly or gaining anything is by using a motor dyno

SAGISI
2012.11.06, 04:55 PM
Hold the armature and turn the comm in the opposite direction to normal travel , on turn by a few degrees or this may cause problems and any more than about 15* will make your motor run retarded
The only real way to know if you are doing it correctly or gaining anything is by using a motor dyno

What kind of tool do you use to turn the com? Dont want to scratch it or crush the com with pliers. I have a motor master that I will be using.

reaper
2012.11.06, 05:00 PM
Depends how tight it is , sometimes just fingers if not pliers with tissue paper on .
The motor master is what i use

SAGISI
2012.11.06, 05:10 PM
Depends how tight it is , sometimes just fingers if not pliers with tissue paper on .
The motor master is what i use

Thanks! Ill try it today. Going off 10th scale experience with timing im assuming i will have higher rpm, less torque, hotter temps?