PDA

View Full Version : Mr-03 ve

unearthed name
2012.11.28, 02:38 AM
i don't know where to put this, so here goes.

http://www.kyosho.com/common/image.php?id=132619

Chassis pre-installed with high performance brushless motor!
Next generation MINI-Z introduces even more durability and power!
The next evolution of the MINI-Z Racer now incorporates the latest brushless motor technology into its performance. Never used before on a MINI-Z, this model includes the same-sized ‘Team Orion XSPEED VE’ brushless motor with its characteristic high durability, power, RPM and a flat torque feel. The MINI-Z takes full advantage of the brushless motor’s efficient low friction; non-contact properties that minimize wear and reduce electrical noise to deliver outstanding linear response and smooth acceleration for a sensorless brushless motor that is approved for use in the MINI-Z Cup and other official races. A limit applied to maximum RPM keeps the playing field level for all drivers. In addition, a newly designed circuit board with ICS function connects to a PC (adapter sold separately) for precision setting adjustments. Just download the ‘ICS VE Manager’ software from the Kyosho website to manage the brushless motor settings and remove the RPM limit to extract the full potential from your machine. The newly designed upper cover also allows simple mounting of the optional gyro on top and the chassis is equipped with the MR-03 ball diff that was previously optional. Now the MR-03’s dynamic performance is turbo-charged with brushless motor power to mark a new stage in the evolution of MINI-Z performance and technology.

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/detail.html?product_id=109398

for more info

danjoyy25
2012.11.28, 03:05 AM
Just realised all my PN Racing motor mounts won't fit :eek:

herman
2012.11.28, 03:40 AM
hmm... wondering if you could drill holes on the motor so it can fit third party mounts... at least it won't need a special controller... (kt-18 and ex 5ur compatible)...

any guys have ideas as to price?

machgo5go
2012.11.28, 05:46 AM
Just realised all my PN Racing motor mounts won't fit :eek:Kyosho purposely made it this way because as manufacturer, they want to keep it simple in their own way and only incorporate with their own hop up R246 product line. But do not be surprise after release later on, some existing third party mini z hop up parts company may make an adaptation to this!;)

arch2b
2012.11.28, 06:55 AM
i don't know where to put this, so here goes. as this is a new product, here is fine. the topic is redundat however as there are already several long threads on this product.

HERE (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38349) and HERE (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33696) already. oh, and THIS (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38420) one.

unearthed name
2012.11.28, 10:30 AM
better if you consolidate this thread into that factory brushless mini-z thread?

HaCo
2012.11.28, 11:00 AM
What motor do they run in the Mini-Z cup they talk about? Is it tge stock motor or X-speed. Like the fact that you can make sort of speed setting.

mugler
2012.11.29, 12:32 AM
bad mistake on kyosho's part to omit those motor screw holes...most likely scenario is aftermarket manufacturers will immediately release their own brushless motors with screw holes and kyosho motors will be as irrelevant as their brushed box stock or xspeed motors for that matter...

Bodom
2012.11.29, 01:16 AM
Now looking at the picture I could tell that "The newly designed upper cover also allows simple mounting of the optional gyro on top " - maybe, but it seems like they made the whole upper cover one piece with the front cover :eek: That's bad idea.

unearthed name
2012.11.29, 01:16 AM
or we can just drill the can ourselves. careful not to hit the coil though.

danjoyy25
2012.11.29, 01:23 AM
It will be interesting to see when/if HFAY, ISRL, MINI-Z WS and a few of the big meets like PN Regionals/WC and other comps in allowing the use of this new brushless system.

arch2b
2012.11.29, 06:56 AM
bad mistake on kyosho's part to omit those motor screw holes...most likely scenario is aftermarket manufacturers will immediately release their own brushless motors with screw holes and kyosho motors will be as irrelevant as their brushed box stock or xspeed motors for that matter...

Bingo! :(

arch2b
2012.11.29, 06:57 AM
It will be interesting to see when/if HFAY, ISRL, MINI-Z WS and a few of the big meets like PN Regionals/WC and other comps in allowing the use of this new brushless system.

It will be interesting indeed. I would assume they will be within a new class really. I don't see how you could mix them all with reasonable moderation or control.

TheRinger
2012.11.29, 11:54 AM
All I can think of every time I see this brushless chassis is.............box stock class. :D:D:D:D

machgo5go
2012.12.08, 10:02 AM
http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/products/rc/detail.html?product_id=109398
23,100 Yen = $297 USD. Little steep but it should be fun.
Can't wait to slap a Double A-Arm on this baby!

180SX SR20
2012.12.22, 09:26 AM
They'e going for Y16170 (pre-ordered).

arch2b
2013.02.14, 08:47 AM
Well, 1st week available in the usa and no flurry of posting on the VE. i can only surmise this means it is not selling well :confused: i would not say that would be surprising given USA pricing.

Chicken Little
2013.02.14, 10:02 AM
With ready-sets and autoscale prices on the rise, a brushless mini-z just seems unwarranted especially when you can get the same amount of speed or more for the price of a $25 motor and a fet job.

blt456
2013.02.14, 10:46 AM
I got to drive a brushless miniz. The motor was very responsive (no delay) and very linear. However, it lacked a lot of punch abd drag brake. I know that some companies will come out with new motors soon because the stock motor's characteristics make the miniz hard to drive.

Some people have told me that brushless motors are more efficient than brushed motors. I think that is great but since most races are only 5-10 minutes, I don't think greater efficiency is advantageous.

Sinister_Y
2013.02.14, 01:09 PM
we just got our shipment. We reduced our order big time, but still took delivery of 6 units. Which 5/6 are presold. One of the guys at the track already had a brushless which we tried out. I liked it, but I like more drag brake, which I'll have to fiddle with when I crack the box open tomorrow night. Also, most guys when with the R246 LM mount whereas I will be going with the MM HB mount.

TheSteve
2013.02.14, 01:51 PM
North American pricing is a little scary. I ripped my ve apart last night and will hopefully be installing the motor/electronics in an AWD car tonight. At my track we tend to run till the batts die and if we're on a roll we'd like to swap them out and keep running. Turns out its possible to melt the chassis of an AWD car doing this so the brushless should work great in it. I believe I have also identified the part to change on the PCB so it will work seemlessly with the servo from the AWD car.

Felix2010
2013.02.14, 02:00 PM
You can't just swap out the coreless/brushless servo motor from the 03VE PCB with the the old-style square servo motor? There's a part to change on the PCB?

I know the 03 PCB's have a shorter ratio gearing in the servo, but I've used 03 boards in AWD and MR02's before and just adjusted the steering servo throw to adjust for the different servo gear assemblies in the different models.

TheSteve
2013.02.14, 02:42 PM
You can't just swap out the coreless/brushless servo motor from the 03VE PCB with the the old-style square servo motor? There's a part to change on the PCB?

I know the 03 PCB's have a shorter ratio gearing in the servo, but I've used 03 boards in AWD and MR02's before and just adjusted the steering servo throw to adjust for the different servo gear assemblies in the different models.

You can just do the swap directly and then compensate with servo throws but I'd rather solve the problem 100% so its the same as any factory MiniZ.

The board from my AWD will be going into the ve chassis to be used in a 90mm high motor series so by swapping a part between the two boards the steering should work perfectly on both.

Sinister_Y
2013.02.14, 03:07 PM
we've already had our "mad genius" repair one board. His input was that that the design choices were poor for the board.

TheSteve
2013.02.14, 03:21 PM
we've already had our "mad genius" repair one board. His input was that that the design choices were poor for the board.

Thankfully I haven't had to repair one yet. I did note last night that power is hardwired to the fets, the switch only turns on the electronics now.

Felix2010
2013.02.14, 03:34 PM
Poor design choices for the VE brushless board? I would definitely like to know any opinions on this and what can be done to improve them (hard-wiring the battery terminals, larger gauge wire all-around,etc). And the FET's are no slouches from what I've read online; A 2x2x2 would seem to be adequate for even a PN32t or Atomic CHILI motor.

Hardwiring power to the FET's I would think is a huge improvement on the motor output design of the printed circuit board.

What if in addition, the power switch is bypassed and the proper power wire for the chassis to the board gets upgraded -- Do these mods make for the improvement in decreasing electrical resistance in the same way as/or better than when these same upgrades are done to a brushed-RA23 unit?

TheSteve
2013.02.14, 04:04 PM
Upgraded wiring would help, adding a power capacitor would help. Bypassing the switch will make no difference as motor power doesn't go through the switch in the mr03ve. Adding more fets likely wouldn't hurt but I doubt you'd see much difference as they used decent fets this time around.

ChiMiniRc
2013.02.14, 07:40 PM
Even though the motor output leads are hard wired, don't forget you have the bullet connectors. So a motor swap will still be easy. However, the hard wire comes into the board vertically. This causes the motor wire to exit vertically into the top shock and caused my car's wires to wear quickly and break the wire at the board after a couple of battery packs.

Felix2010
2013.02.14, 10:36 PM
I don't know why I considered removing the power switch if the FETs are wired directly to the power source... my bad.

Sinister_Y
2013.04.02, 07:41 PM
for those of you that want drilled cans, we offer that service:

http://minicarclubofcanada.com/Shopping.aspx?ShowType=item&ItemID=235536203&CategoryID=248

tudor_47
2013.05.30, 01:59 AM
Hi

anyone knows the actual size of the MR03VE board?

thanks!
/Johnny