PDA

View Full Version : Need some updated info

Zrc
2012.11.29, 01:02 PM
Hi All, I'm calling it quits with larger scale rc so I'm back to Mini Z's ....again. After 10 years of managing a club and dealing with outdoor racing I've FINALLY decided to return to Mini Z's and simply ENJOY the hobby. Yes, I may try to get a club together but mostly just want to find the fun again.
So, after doing some reading on the forum I'm looking to get some new stuff and maybe upgrade some old stuff.
Here's the plan and I'm very open to suggestions.
1. I have MR01's, an MR02 and a MA010. All the old AM versions. Can the 02 and the 010 be upgraded with 2.4ghz. boards ??
2. I have a couple of M8 radios and a KO Ex1 Mars (not the R version). It appears all I need for the M8's are the KO module and one of the available adaptors from R246 or PN. can the older Mars be upgraded the same way ??
3. Any particular upgrades suggested and essential for the MR03 ? Is there any particular "version" to find ? (I've seen a special edition chassis that comes with some optional goodies)
4. I have a I-Lap timing system we used for 10th scale. Anybody with I-Lap experience have any situations with it ?? I've been using LapsFree software.
5. Planning on getting some RCP again but it looks like they don't sell direct. Suggestions for the best place to buy from ? And what tracks would you suggest I get to have a decent starter track ( IE: 2 wide L's or Wide L and Oval,etc.) Noticed they have different "sections" available now like radius turns and such. Which pieces might you suggest getting with the primary track "kit".
Obviously I'm thinking of a suitable starter track to get a few people involved with that we could grow as more people get involved.
6. Does anyone race at a track where a drivers stand of any sort is used ??
My 16x6 trailer was built in modular fashion. The 8x3 sections can be taken off the main trailer frame and I'm wondering if having the 2.5 foot elevation is worth using them for.
7. Lastly, I've sent a message to the shop inquiring why a large number of items are "out of stock". I'd like to support the shop but if they don't have the goods; where are most people buying cars and gear from ??
Thanks All. Can't wait to get back to having fun again !!

briankstan
2012.11.29, 02:28 PM
Hi All, I'm calling it quits with larger scale rc so I'm back to Mini Z's ....again. After 10 years of managing a club and dealing with outdoor racing I've FINALLY decided to return to Mini Z's and simply ENJOY the hobby. Yes, I may try to get a club together but mostly just want to find the fun again.
So, after doing some reading on the forum I'm looking to get some new stuff and maybe upgrade some old stuff.
Here's the plan and I'm very open to suggestions.
1. I have MR01's, an MR02 and a MA010. All the old AM versions. Can the 02 and the 010 be upgraded with 2.4ghz. boards ??
2. I have a couple of M8 radios and a KO Ex1 Mars (not the R version). It appears all I need for the M8's are the KO module and one of the available adaptors from R246 or PN. can the older Mars be upgraded the same way ??
3. Any particular upgrades suggested and essential for the MR03 ? Is there any particular "version" to find ? (I've seen a special edition chassis that comes with some optional goodies)
4. I have a I-Lap timing system we used for 10th scale. Anybody with I-Lap experience have any situations with it ?? I've been using LapsFree software.
5. Planning on getting some RCP again but it looks like they don't sell direct. Suggestions for the best place to buy from ? And what tracks would you suggest I get to have a decent starter track ( IE: 2 wide L's or Wide L and Oval,etc.) Noticed they have different "sections" available now like radius turns and such. Which pieces might you suggest getting with the primary track "kit".
Obviously I'm thinking of a suitable starter track to get a few people involved with that we could grow as more people get involved.
6. Does anyone race at a track where a drivers stand of any sort is used ??
My 16x6 trailer was built in modular fashion. The 8x3 sections can be taken off the main trailer frame and I'm wondering if having the 2.5 foot elevation is worth using them for.
7. Lastly, I've sent a message to the shop inquiring why a large number of items are "out of stock". I'd like to support the shop but if they don't have the goods; where are most people buying cars and gear from ??
Thanks All. Can't wait to get back to having fun again !!

1. Yes you can upgrade the boards in the MR-02 and MA-010.

2. Yes wit the modules youll just need the adapter for them to work in the M8s. for the mars it should work with just the module. I know you can use the module in the MarsR without issue, Id assume it would be the same for the mars.

3. I like the PN a-arm for the front of the O3, the rear of the car Id setup the same as you would the 02. Damper, motor mount, and either the Ball Diff or the Pn Gear diff.

4. The I-lap will work with the min-zs itll also work with the flipside timeing software.

5. Depending on size available I would go with the 2, possibly 3 wide L tracks and add some of the wide inside corners. That makes a great starting setup. (if you need tracks I can help you with getting them. Im a RCP dealer, you can also get them through the MZR shop).

6. Lots of tracks use drivers stands, something along the lines of 18-20 is good, for the smaller tracks its probably not needed. For larger tracks its a plus for sure.

7. Depends on what you need, in this econmy most stock is smaller, thats how my store is surviving. Most things can be custom ordered. Also look at places like kenon.

I hope that gets most of what you are looking for.

Mike Keely
2012.11.29, 06:05 PM
You can upgrade the boards but they are close to $100, so my choice would be to buy a plain MR03. The servos are much better on the MR03's in my opinion. The PN double H arm front end is very good and Reflex racing also makes a good front end for less money. On the rear of the car as Brian said just do the normal aftermarket T bar, plus a rear pod and ball diff and axle like you would a MR02.

The bodies are really getting better for the serious racer. The Audi R8 is very hot at this time plus the Ferrari 599X. Both are 98mm wheel bases with +3 mm offset rims that give a wide stance to help stop the traction rolling for a lot of people. For stock motors I think most people are running 94mm cars because they rotate faster.

Tires have also improved a lot. For RCP tracks for starter go with Kyosho #30 high traction front slicks and Kyosho #20 rear slicks. If really needed some super glue on the sidewall of the fronts will do wonders to stop the twitchiness. But this will also take away some steering.

As for shops TinyRC supports us with this thread and Brian's shop, Reflex racing, Kenon Hobbies.

Zrc
2012.11.30, 04:37 PM
Thanks fellas.
Can you tell me what this "tiki tiki thing is all about ?? It appears to be some sort of "boost" system or something similar to the "turbo" function you see on some toy quality rc cars.
Does anyone use it in racing applications ?
Considering the idea of selling 1 of my M8's and the EX1 to buy the EX-5UR. Is it worth it ?? Or should I stick with the idea of using the module adaptor for the M8.
Thats the radio I've been using. The EX1 I've never used but I know it's a good radio. Just don't know if it's really worth it or just get something current and specific for the Z.
I took a look in the shop and both the Ferrari 599 and 360 caught my eye. After talking with a couple of guy's who might invest in a track with me, we're thinking of trying to "semi scale" the Circuit of the Americas track. Thats the end game but we'll have to build into it. Right now it's garage space only.
BTW, where do we find details on which bodies are what wheelbase ?
Am I correct that mr03 N is narrow and W is wide ?? Are the Mid Motor cars still considered the better handling of the bunch ?
Seeing some reference to a MR020. What is it ?? Tried searching but can't find a description.
Lord I'm so behind the power curve !:confused:

Mike Keely
2012.11.30, 05:33 PM
No idea about the tiki thing.

The EX-5UR has all the radio adjustments that you will need.

I tried the M8 before with the AM version of the MR02 and could not get the reverse to work. I think that I was doing something wrong because I know that other guys were using it.

The N is for narrow and the W for wide.

Yes, the mid motors are the better handling cars.

I think the MR020 is the old Mr02 with the new style of MR03 PC board.

blt456
2012.11.30, 06:45 PM
The tiki tiki "boost" can be set on your transmitter (requires you to set a button to push). It allows you to momentarily have more power than normal (I think the board only puts out 70% power normally and for up to 3 seconds, you get 100% power). I'm not sure if those are the exact numbers but I tried it once and didn't like it at all. It is useless for racing.

As for parts, you don't need a PN double a arm or Reflex front end to go fast.

HammondCheese
2012.12.01, 01:51 AM
Hi, the tiki tiki system is meant for handicap races. The idea is everyone uses a tiki tiki board. You set it up to give the faster racers to get fewer boosts per lap so the slow guys get more boosts to give them a hand keeping up. As stated above, it doesnt make you faster - 'non boosted' is about 70% power, boosted is full power and yes you can turn it off for normal racing.

I've got an EX-5 and am happy enough with it at the moment (at least happy enough that I'm not willing to pay to upgrade :) ). If you're going to change from the EX-1 just make sure beforehand that you have a concrete feature that you are changing for. Do some reasearch as to the supposed pros and cons. Drive your current setup a bit, then decide if any of the differences are worth the cost to you. Of course if $ dont matter then let me suggest the EX-10 or the Ex-1KIY instead.

Try http://mini-z-guide.com/bodies.htm for a bit of a guide. It has a lot of the wheel offsets. Theres also a thread on here somewhere with someone trying to set up an offset database. You do realise that the 599 is a 98mm wheelbase and the 360 is a 94mm? Both have been popular at times - if you care then currently youd find there are other choices that are more popular for both lengths ( the 430GT and Lexus Sc430 for 94 mm, and the TRP Mosler and Audi R8 for 98). If you love a car for its looks then go for it. But there are real differences in things like shell weight, clearance for hop up parts, handling, stability, and corner handling (ie the round front of the 430GT usually causes less problems if you collect a wall than in a car with a front splitter like the SC430). Not all shells are equally competitive.

I think th eothers have handled your other questions ! :)

briankstan
2012.12.01, 09:42 AM
Just to clarify if you have a "Tiki Tiki" chassis you are not running at 70%, you get the full 100% of the power unless the feature is enabled on the chassis and it needs to be enabled in order to run the boosting feature along with all cars that would be utilizing it.

I don't know of any place that actually uses it, but I'm sure there are probably some.

Zrc
2012.12.02, 10:31 AM
Thanks All !! This is really alot of help. I've got a line on a used ex10 so i may just go that way. I'll keep 1 M8 with the old AM module for those older cars I have. If the ex10 deal doesn't happen I'll likely get the ex5ur.
If anybody's interested in a M8 or EX1, let me know via PM or email.
Shopping for a MR03 MM now. I'll be buying a Mosler white body and a R8 white body to use for racing.
Got a question on decals. Are there any good sources for them in mini z size ?? Studio 27 use to be a name i heard often enough but i think their gone. The link I have doesn't work anymore.
I'll skip any interest in the Tiki Tiki stuff.
For anyone having experience with tracks using elevation changes, what's the best way to bend or shape RCP when you need a curve upwards or downwards ?? Or maybe you have to glue it in some fashion ??