PDA

View Full Version : AWD class for Mini-Z Cup

Sinister_Y
2012.11.30, 01:24 PM
As per Kyoshosan's blog (and the original source of his information for that post: http://ameblo.jp/kyoshoblog/ )

AWD Rally class will be introduced by Kyosho for their cup series. From the translation it seems you must run narrow all the way around, even if your body came with wide rears and you must you 60 deg tires all the way around (MZW2-60).

Interesting concept. I had proposed a rally class at MC3. Maybe these tires will make things more interesting...

Felix2010
2012.11.30, 01:33 PM
Wow 60 degree slicks? Do they even make 60 deg treaded? Isn't that harder than the old stock tires that came with the older Autoscales?

HaCo
2012.12.01, 04:22 AM
Definitely looks like a good, no awesome, idea! :D :D :D

Will test this on RCP, have allready run on ASC tires in the past on my AWD.

Felix2010
2012.12.01, 06:31 AM
I know you've been around Mini-Z for a while HaCo, so no disrespect meant:) - But 60 degree tires?

I've tried newer ASC tires on my MR's (On RCP) and the last couple/few years' worth of ASC's and Readysets from what I've purchased came with what seem like W30 and N40, which is definitely not too bad on RCP...
But on the older ASC's, like 5,6,7 years ago - Didn't Kyosho use the crappiest tires they could to sell with the ASC's? And by that I mean very, very hard tires(And slick of course)... I'm thinking the old-ASC tires might've been 50's and not even 60 deg tires... I know Rally AWD means some drifting, but how do you get Narrow 60 deg slicks to get any more traction without soaking the bejeesus outta them in WD40 or similar traction enhancing compound(Which are usually illegal I think); Or maybe truing them and then using heat on them at the start would give some initial traction maybe I guess... 60 degree tires justs sounds like no fun to me, unless you want to call it "Drift Class" :D .

Just my opinion, which is pretty insignificant now that I'm thinking... Nevermind, I'm probably wrong.:o:o

color01
2012.12.01, 06:49 AM
Based on a few experiments, an AWD with cut-down 50deg slicks all around can actually grip alright. It does drift of course but at the same time, since you're always on the gas it's deceptively quick. Again, not that it IS quick, but it's quicker than you might think.

Kyosho's tire compounds have changed a bit in 10 years anyways, the new 60's might be better than the old 50's. And if they're still rock hard, groove 'em on the truer. :D

mleemor60
2012.12.01, 06:56 AM
Any rule or class that can teach or promote throttle control isn't a bad thing. The lesson carries over to the other classes and can improve your performance there.

Felix2010
2012.12.01, 08:17 AM
Both your points are valid color0 and mleemor60. A.) New K 60deg might be a lot better than older K 60deg; B.) And throttle control is VERY important, I agree totally. One of the most difficult things to learn and gain skill at IMHO. Using harder tires would promote much better throttle control which can be used to make advances in skill in other classes of racing.

Pierro
2012.12.01, 01:08 PM
Hi!

Definitely interresting challenge there. AWD with rally bodies and rally style driving would be so much fun.

I personnally ride my celica either with drift tires or the tires that came with the body. On rough side of RCP, pretty decent grip but still a bit of a slide so you can go fast but not THAT fast at the same time.

Also, running hard tires solve the problem of traction rolling the AWD tends to have when you push it to the limits.

DanDan
2012.12.01, 05:03 PM
Where can I find info on the Mini-Z Cup?

Are there any US dates established yet?

HaCo
2012.12.02, 02:25 AM
Hi!

Definitely interresting challenge there. AWD with rally bodies and rally style driving would be so much fun.

I personnally ride my celica either with drift tires or the tires that came with the body. On rough side of RCP, pretty decent grip but still a bit of a slide so you can go fast but not THAT fast at the same time.

Also, running hard tires solve the problem of traction rolling the AWD tends to have when you push it to the limits.

Well, I also got the celica (wide tires in the rear) and also ran it on RCP with original tire. I found it went well, not too much wheelspin.

Yesterday I've been testing with harder tires that I found in 'old stuff'-boxes. The biggest problem was finding 2 pairs with the same amount of grip. But it was working, even on my narrow RCP track.

I guess the guys from Kyosho tested the setup before releasing new rules.

I started RC on parking lots and the street: dirty roads with out of the box (tamiya rally block) tires. My first idea when I read about the new rules was to get more or less the same experience as back then , but now with my AWD, just to explain the excitement. :-)

So: I want a new set of tires to test this asap! :D :D

Pierro
2012.12.02, 05:43 AM
You definitely need to come more often at the club Haco. :D
I'm also looking for other way of racing than the almighty hot lap.

HaCo
2012.12.15, 08:08 AM
Just received a set of 60degree slick tires. They are bone hard, the hardest rubber tire I have. Hope to test them this evening!

arch2b
2012.12.15, 05:02 PM
Where can I find info on the Mini-Z Cup?

Are there any US dates established yet?

Kyosho Mini-Z Cup has not run in the U.S. in MANY years. There was rumor kyosho USA was trying to bring it back but it's not developed and it's been several years since that effort started.

HaCo
2012.12.16, 02:48 AM
Had a testrun yesterday: great fun!

SteveDb made a video of Pierro and me:
f******k link removed
The focus has the 60degrees tires on. It could b?e great rally cross fun with Mini-Z, hope to see such series in near future in Belgium!

color01
2012.12.16, 06:08 AM
Looks good! Wish it'd be viable over here.

HaCo
2012.12.16, 01:01 PM
The FB link with dots:
http://www_dot_facebook_dot_com/photo.php?v=480834085288016

herman
2012.12.16, 09:54 PM
currently not available :(

LED
2012.12.19, 12:24 AM
Thinking strongly about buying an AWD now (wanted to last yea but didnt happen). I have a question, would this class accept all bodys or only "rally" bodys?

color01
2012.12.19, 12:34 AM
I'd probably call "gentlemen's agreement" no matter what the rules came out to be... do you really want to see a Mosler in a class like this? :p

LED
2012.12.19, 12:29 PM
no offcourse not :)
I'm thinking the porsche 911 GT3
I dont realu know what rally bodys are available besides the lancia (wich I dont like :p)

Pierro
2012.12.21, 12:00 PM
Hi Led,

You can mostly choose between Mitsubishi and Subaru. Those are the most popular rally scheme with many versions available.

Other rally bodies are indeed the delta or the Celica and now the DS3.
On the old days you could find a focus like the one HaCo Used at the HM cup.

There is also the Stratos but it's 86 wheelbase so it won't fit the AWD chassis.

My weapon of choice will be the celica.

LED
2012.12.21, 12:21 PM
I'm liking the mazda rx-7. Dont know if its rally :-p And I think the new citroen when it comes out.