PDA

View Full Version : AWD to rwd conversion ?

Penumbra
2012.12.08, 04:49 PM
Anyone has tried to disable the fwd from the awd and so make it a rwd ?

I tried this last week because my fellow racers all drive rwd and I wanted to be a bit more equal.

I must say that I really like the handling of it and so wanted to ask if others have done the same and if, when well tuned, it can cope with regular rwd's?

thanks in advance

cowboysir
2012.12.08, 06:18 PM
Does your AWD beat their RWD's? I'd be curious to know where your AWD is better...

All things being equal(converted AWD), its hard to find the right left/right weight balance to make an AWD perform as well as a RWD and with a bit more complex driveline you lose out in rolling efficiency.

color01
2012.12.08, 06:36 PM
Could be a carpet track. I was never able to beat Cherub1m's fast lap (AWD SC430 monster) with my MR03 the three times we met, carpet just doesn't provide enough forward traction for the RWD's to outcorner AWD.

HammondCheese
2012.12.09, 05:47 AM
Anyone has tried to disable the fwd from the awd and so make it a rwd ?

I tried this last week because my fellow racers all drive rwd and I wanted to be a bit more equal.

I must say that I really like the handling of it and so wanted to ask if others have done the same and if, when well tuned, it can cope with regular rwd's?

thanks in advance
The part you want is QteQ Mini-Z AWD Conversion set for FWD/RWD..... :) But platform vs platform a converted RWD AWD suffers from a number of disadvantages compared to the 02 and 03 (total weight, weight distribution for a start). Not so bad that a good driver won't be able to beat an average one though.

Penumbra
2012.12.09, 11:24 AM
Forgot to mention that we use a carpet track. And that I have a atomic SAS rear end installed so that gives a bit of advantage. But I was most surprised by how well my "rwd - awd" goes into the corners and exits them faster then a regular rwd. The only disadvantage for me is that I have a bit more understeer. But by giving a bit more camber ( still at 0 ° now ) i hope to resolve that problem too.

thanks already for your anwers.

Regards

ps: do you guys think that with this setup I would be able to enter a rwd competition ? or is this strictly based on chassis ( mr-02, mr-03 )

NoBrainer
2012.12.09, 05:11 PM
It would be much better if you could fit the AWD rear on a MR-03 chassi.
Then you would get a narrow chassi with low center of gravity and the nice MR-03 front.

hrdrvr
2012.12.09, 05:30 PM
/\ Where would you put the motor?

NoBrainer
2012.12.09, 06:43 PM
working on a solution.

Cherub1m
2012.12.23, 03:16 PM
Could be a carpet track. I was never able to beat Cherub1m's fast lap (AWD SC430 monster) with my MR03 the three times we met, carpet just doesn't provide enough forward traction for the RWD's to outcorner AWD.

Hey color01

I have to say when ATM was only making the 10 degree rear AW Grove tires then yes the AWD was dominant on the carpet but since ATM started to make the 7 degree rear AW Grove tires the field has been equalized. Fast lap, total laps are equal now at Cruzin. In short has traction pick up the 2WD becomes hard to beat and the AWD advantage dwindled. Now its a just a preference. We race them together now at Cruizin in a GT Mod Class.

Felix2010
2012.12.24, 06:11 PM
Hey color01

I have to say when ATM was only making the 10 degree rear AW Grove tires then yes the AWD was dominant on the carpet but since ATM started to make the 7 degree rear AW Grove tires the field has been equalized. Fast lap, total laps are equal now at Cruzin. In short has traction pick up the 2WD becomes hard to beat and the AWD advantage dwindled. Now its a just a preference. We race them together now at Cruizin in a GT Mod Class.

I understand that as traction increases the AWD drive advantage decreases, but I don't quite understand - With the harder 10 degree tires, the AWD was faster than the MR03? And with the softer 7 degree tires - The AWD was not faster? Even with the softer 7-degree tire?

Cherub1m
2012.12.24, 06:53 PM
I understand that as traction increases the AWD drive advantage decreases, but I don't quite understand - With the harder 10 degree tires, the AWD was faster than the MR03? And with the softer 7 degree tires - The AWD was not faster? Even with the softer 7-degree tire?

Yeah, what I notice when we had only 10 degree rears the AWD still had good traction and rotated very well around the corners. With the 7 degrees I feel the 2wd gained the much needed rear traction and the power could be laid down on the track. For the AWD the 7 degrees gave provided more rear traction and the AWD tracked straighter but you lose a little with the steering. In short you end up gaining stability but lose a little steering with the 7 degree tires for the AWD but lap times remain the same. I tried softer tires on the front, unfortunately the traction was to much and the car over steered. May just need more tuning, but at Cruizin that carpet had decent traction and the 2wd's are right there.

Felix2010
2012.12.24, 10:48 PM
Ahh I see, the new 7degree tires helped the RWD MR02/03's gain traction to put down power and keep up with & surpass the MA010. (I still say MA010 is boss):)

Cherub1m
2012.12.25, 09:19 AM
Ahh I see, the new 7degree tires helped the RWD MR02/03's gain traction to put down power and keep up with & surpass the MA010. (I still say MA010 is boss):)

Keep up yes:), surpass no:cool:, even yes:), who is the boss? no contest AWD is boos :D