PDA

View Full Version : awd atomic sas dribbling issue

Penumbra
2012.12.17, 07:36 AM
Hi All

I bought a atomic sas kit v3 a while ago (with the stock plastic dampers) and it drove really well on the CARPET track we have here.

No I ordered the aluminium shocks from atomic together with the spring kit (green, red, gold and orange springs)

I started of with the gold ones with a bit of preload ( as i did with the plastic ones with silver springs) but the car now dribbles at the rear. I treid to give more and less preload but the issue remains. SO I would like to ask in what direction I will need to look for a solution.( softer/ harder spring)

I'm happy with the overal handling it's only the dribbling rear I want to get rid off

my current setup

94mm wheelbase

front atomic competition tires 20°
toe in : 0
camber: 1.5
standard springs + 1 shim

rear atomic competition tires 20°
toe in : 0 ( but i can see there is a bit of to in when isntalling the sas kit ,even with 0°arms)
camber : 1
sas kit v3 gold springs

(the spring kit part number i'm talking about is atomic AWD220)

Bodom
2012.12.19, 01:51 AM
Any grease in the rear shocks? Maybe you need more dampening.
Try some thicker grease or try any grease if you haven't put some yet.

Penumbra
2012.12.19, 01:03 PM
thanks for your reply,

I did put the grease in that came with the sas kit and I already did use that in the plastic version of the shocks. Maybe putting in a bit more , I will try that tomorrow. anyway last night I did nothing else that trying every different setting, tried all spings but no solution :( Then I did put back the plastic version of the shocks with the standard silver springs and that was the only thing that gave a bit of a good result. S o stange as the only thing thats different is the alu shock bodies against the plastic shock bodies.. I'm completely lost :s

the only extra problem that came up is that when I give full throttle the car bows off to the left.. When I drive slowly it's compeltely straight but when pushing full throttle it goes banana :)
any idea on that?

mleemor60
2012.12.19, 01:18 PM
Sounds like torque steer.

ScoobyPete
2012.12.19, 04:02 PM
thanks for your reply,

I did put the grease in that came with the sas kit and I already did use that in the plastic version of the shocks. Maybe putting in a bit more , I will try that tomorrow. anyway last night I did nothing else that trying every different setting, tried all spings but no solution :( Then I did put back the plastic version of the shocks with the standard silver springs and that was the only thing that gave a bit of a good result. S o stange as the only thing thats different is the alu shock bodies against the plastic shock bodies.. I'm completely lost :s

the only extra problem that came up is that when I give full throttle the car bows off to the left.. When I drive slowly it's compeltely straight but when pushing full throttle it goes banana :)
any idea on that?

I'm no expert but here's a few tips I have picked up on the SAS kit.

On the going left adjust the preload on the right spring, maybe as little as half a turn, maybe as much as 2 turns, experiment a bit find what works best.
Another thing I have done is swapped the ally pre load adjusters for the plastic ones, as the ally ones kept coming loose. I see that they now supply them with the plastic collars instead of the ally ones. My ally shocks are quite old now:D

On the dribbling I'm guessing you mean it's drooping/sagging at the back? If so try moving the tops of the springs in towards the middle of the car. The further out the shocks are at the top the softer it will be, move them in to the middle of the car and the shocks become stiffer as the angle of the shock becomes more acute.

I have the ssg pro V-III and use the orange springs with the shocks towers in the middle hole of the 5 adjustments and about 1mm of droop. I also use the gooey stuff atomic supply with the kits. I don't use a lot just a small blob (about the size of the ball bearings in the diff) on the end of the shaft so it offers a bit off resistance and will slowly push back out a bit on its own with out the spring.

I clean the shocks using white spirt called mineral spirits/turpentine in the US, it's a thinning/cleaning solution painters use. This dissolves the gooey stuff quite nicely so I drop the dismantled shock body into an egg cup with enough white spirit to submerge them. Leave them to soak for a while and then dry them off and rebuild. Make sure you get the residue out of the shock body, move the shaft in and out a few times and this usually is enough to clear it out. You could also use the white spirit to thin the goo but I haven't really tried it.

These work for me, but one mans meat is another mans poison.
Hope you find some nugget of good stuff that helps out in my ramblings.

Penumbra
2012.12.21, 10:03 AM
Thanks scoobypete, I 'll try your suggestions out and let you know.

regards

kevin