PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for wheel hop elimination?

trexflyer02
2013.01.07, 12:45 AM
Hello all, just got into Mini-Z about a month ago (but have been doing RC for the past 8 years or so). I picked up an MR03 and have various hopups on it and am currently tied for the lap record at my local RCP track ... but I can't for the life of me get rid of the wheel hop under power! :( I can audibly hear it as well as see the spoiler bouncing, and I can't help but think it's hindering my lap times.

My setup:

MR03, 94mm wheelbase
PN front tower bar
PN 1˚ camber front arms (in rear position for about 1-2˚ caster)
Blue front springs
Kyosho medium T-plate
PN 94-98 motor mount
PN DDS, Atomic discs, blue/blue springs
PN 50t motor with 9/53 gearing, per our spec class
PN ball diff
PN 20deg slick front and 6deg radial rears
Lexus SC430GT body, +1/+1 wheels

My buddy's Lexus runs a near identical setup and is dialed, almost no hop at all. I have tried going to stiffer and softer DDS springs, as well as trying soft, medium, and hard Kyosho graphite T-plates. The soft seems to have the least amount of hop, but is consistently a couple tenths slower than the medium with the hops :rolleyes:

I have searched here and there aren't too many recent threads on this ... and the ones that are recent seem to have suggestions that I have already tried. I'm trying to get a fresh look on this and am willing to try just about anything, so please help me out here guys! :)

Rune
2013.01.07, 06:05 AM
Hello all, just got into Mini-Z about a month ago (but have been doing RC for the past 8 years or so). I picked up an MR03 and have various hopups on it and am currently tied for the lap record at my local RCP track ... but I can't for the life of me get rid of the wheel hop under power! :( I can audibly hear it as well as see the spoiler bouncing, and I can't help but think it's hindering my lap times.

My setup:

MR03, 94mm wheelbase
PN front tower bar
PN 1˚ camber front arms (in rear position for about 1-2˚ caster)
Blue front springs
Kyosho medium T-plate
PN 94-98 motor mount
PN DDS, Atomic discs, blue/blue springs
PN 50t motor with 9/53 gearing, per our spec class
PN ball diff
PN 20deg slick front and 6deg radial rears
Lexus SC430GT body, +1/+1 wheels

My buddy's Lexus runs a near identical setup and is dialed, almost no hop at all. I have tried going to stiffer and softer DDS springs, as well as trying soft, medium, and hard Kyosho graphite T-plates. The soft seems to have the least amount of hop, but is consistently a couple tenths slower than the medium with the hops :rolleyes:

I have searched here and there aren't too many recent threads on this ... and the ones that are recent seem to have suggestions that I have already tried. I'm trying to get a fresh look on this and am willing to try just about anything, so please help me out here guys! :)

Since you get less chatter with softer t-plate it suggests that it need more dampening.

What are you using as damper fluid on your DDS?
Try going heavier on dampening.

Usual suspects for wheel hopping:
- Tires not taped/ glued to the rim. See if they fold over by inspecting the inside of the tire.
- To thin or no damper fluid on DDS

blt456
2013.01.07, 11:50 AM
Do you race in the bay area? I'm assuming this because you mentioned a PN 50 turn spec motor with a 9/53 fixed gear ratio.

If you do, you should try to soften your rear or replicate my setup, which is similar to yours. This setup has worked great for me at my two local tracks and doesn't chatter. Also, make sure the damper disks aren't tight on the damper post. PN delrin damper disks tend to fit really tight on the posts, so you have to cut the center hole out a little bit in order to reduce friction. If you still need help and you live in the bay area, come to inside line racing and I can take a look at your car and help you out.

Body: Lexus sc430 with atomic lexan window and reflex lexan wing

Front:
- Rev kingpin (kyo lower arm w/ kyo flourine balls, kyosho upper arms)
- pn lowdown knuckles (.5mm below, 1mm above)
- pn blue front springs
- pn delrin +1 20mm rims w/ kyo 30 slicks trued to 23mm

Rear:
- pn v3 motor mount (#2 up)
- pn dds (green springs)
- ball diff (reflex hubs, pn shaft, 5 balls, r241 plates, 53t lsd spur)
- pn delrin +1 20mm rims w/ pn6 radial
- pn 5 silver t-plate
- Team associated 35wt shock oil on top damper plate

ChiMiniRc
2013.01.07, 01:34 PM
Do you race in the bay area? I'm assuming this because you mentioned a PN 50 turn spec motor with a 9/53 fixed gear ratio.

If you do, you should try to soften your rear or replicate my setup, which is similar to yours. This setup has worked great for me at my two local tracks and doesn't chatter. Also, make sure the damper disks aren't tight on the damper post. PN delrin damper disks tend to fit really tight on the posts, so you have to cut the center hole out a little bit in order to reduce friction. If you still need help and you live in the bay area, come to inside line racing and I can take a look at your car and help you out.

Front:
- pn blue front springs

Rear:
- pn dds (green springs)
- pn 5 silver t-plate

Can you share a pic of your front end setup?

bcpzx3
2013.01.07, 02:22 PM
Flyer in name, started a month ago, 50T 53/9, sounds like you race at aeromicro. Come by Inside Line Racing sometime and the experts can help you get rid of the chattering issue. The employees can point you to the proper person for help.

trexflyer02
2013.01.07, 07:33 PM
Since you get less chatter with softer t-plate it suggests that it need more dampening.

What are you using as damper fluid on your DDS?
Try going heavier on dampening.

Usual suspects for wheel hopping:
- Tires not taped/ glued to the rim. See if they fold over by inspecting the inside of the tire.
- To thin or no damper fluid on DDS

I tape my tires, no folding.

Interesting, I am running 80wt after a suggestion from another racer, which may even be too much given the next post...

Front:
- pn blue front springs

Rear:
- pn dds (green springs)
- pn 5 silver t-plate

I have a PN5 T-plate, so I will try that as well. I am running Atomic discs which fit snugly and are sanded, so that whole assembly is pretty smooth. I will try running thinner shock oil, perhaps I am going overkill on that.

Flyer in name, started a month ago, 50T 53/9, sounds like you race at aeromicro.

:)

blt456
2013.01.07, 07:54 PM
80wt oil is way too thick for both bay area tracks. I have run AE 35wt oil at FPR on many different occasions and since aeromicro uses the same track, same setup applies. Thinner oil will make your car react faster and you will notice more body roll.

I would suggest using the kyosho soft tplate with green springs and making sure there is no play with the damper post and disks. If there is, the entire rear end will rotate before touching the disks and that will cause chatter.

trexflyer02
2013.01.07, 09:15 PM
80wt oil is way too thick for both bay area tracks. I have run AE 35wt oil at FPR on many different occasions and since aeromicro uses the same track, same setup applies. Thinner oil will make your car react faster and you will notice more body roll.

I would suggest using the kyosho soft tplate with green springs and making sure there is no play with the damper post and disks. If there is, the entire rear end will rotate before touching the disks and that will cause chatter.

Definitely will give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

blt456
2013.01.07, 09:22 PM
No problem! If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message or drop by Inside line racing.

bcpzx3
2013.01.09, 01:38 AM
Daniel: Joe wanted to make his previous setup work, which was almost impossible to stop from chattering. Once one of the tuners finally convinced him to go with a different setup his car is now working great. You are more than welcome to come race mod with the guys. There is a racer using 50T 53/9 in mod class, who is able to take on most of the mod guys. So no need to feel that you will be underpowered if you don't have a mod motor to use.

DanDan
2013.01.09, 02:29 AM
Daniel: Joe wanted to make his previous setup work, which was almost impossible to stop from chattering. Once one of the tuners finally convinced him to go with a different setup his car is now working great.

Refreshing to hear! Joe is a good guy and I'm glad his car got sorted out. You got my message awfully quickly ;)

You are more than welcome to come race mod with the guys. There is a racer using 50T 53/9 in mod class, who is able to take on most of the mod guys. So no need to feel that you will be underpowered if you don't have a mod motor to use.

The only guy I personally know of aside from me who tried that was Luke & last time I saw his car, he had installed an Atomic powerplant. I don't think I'd be able to hold a candle to Stephen, Romel & Ray with my meager little 50t. It's hard to keep up with even with proper motor.

ARN
2013.01.14, 01:00 PM
are your tires hitting the body under suspension travel?

I found with one of my bodies that under full body roll the front tire touched the body and it caused a crazy hop....

also, once my h-plate was loose.... easy fix, I'm sure you would have noticed that....

trexflyer02
2013.01.15, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Over the past week or so I have taken 4 tenths off the track record with the help of an improved setup and a Reflex adjustable front upper arm mount. Running 2deg camber and approximately 6deg of caster, which gives gobs of on-power steering.

I went back to a PN 5 T-plate which seemed to reduce wheel hop significantly over the Kyosho medium. I am also running 40wt shock oil on the damper disk.

are your tires hitting the body under suspension travel?

I found with one of my bodies that under full body roll the front tire touched the body and it caused a crazy hop....

also, once my h-plate was loose.... easy fix, I'm sure you would have noticed that....

All good in those two respects. I'm running the SC430GT body with the adjustable CF front body mount. I think I have 3 shims -- just enough to get it to not rub the body. ;)