PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question: EX-5UR or KT-18 ?

dedstik
2013.01.08, 10:25 PM
Guys...

Just starting down the Mini-Z road with a definite eye toward some fun racing as soon as I can get around the track with a little speed.

Lots of guys are starting out with the KT-18 TX. I don't mind the looks of the KT-18, but as a fixed wing RC pilot I'm used to expo, dual rates, and end-point (travel) adjustments.

I've been looking at the EX-5UR as a good first TX along with an MR-03.

What do you think...Am I discounting the KT-18 too much?

TIA for any thoughts.

:dedstik

chad508
2013.01.08, 10:48 PM
If it was me I would keep an eye out for a used ex10 or ex1. Price wise you can get one for abou the same price and a world of difference in quality.

briankstan
2013.01.08, 11:51 PM
I will second what Chad said. That is the radio most of my club uses and it's a great radio. Find a used one and get the module. It'll be about the same price but alot better.

NoBrainer
2013.01.09, 02:51 AM
EX5-UR is a great radio, much better that the KT-18.
More posibilities and better control.

arch2b
2013.01.09, 07:39 AM
for a beginner, the ex5-ur is a solid choice. it has much of what is really needed and model memory in case you have multiple cars.

if you can find an ex-10 used for a good price, similar to ex5-ur, with a module, it would be worthwhile to get that. the module is very hard to find these days though. it's just a slightly bigger, much heavier, all the bells and whistles ex-5ur that accepts modules if you care to use it for other rc systems. it's overkill for the average mini-z owner for sure but what guy doesn't want the tx with all the bells and whistles, even if they never use all the functions.

i would skip the kt-18 all together. some like it, most don't.

chad508
2013.01.09, 08:58 AM
Only problem I have woth the ex5 is that it feels cheap and the wheel feels very sloppy. Other than that it is miles apart from the kt18, but now days a good used ex10 with module can be had wellunder 200.

LED
2013.01.09, 10:19 AM
I have the EX-5UR since the day it was released (in japan)
I love it. Yes it feels cheap, no it isnt bad quality, yes all the function work perfectly.
But for me the biggest advantage of feeling cheap is that is it very light. Even with 8 AA batteries.
I also second what chad said about the steering wheel, but with a mousse cover from another brand that is solved quickly and cheap.

The only thing it doesnt have is dualrate.

imxlr8ed
2013.01.09, 10:50 AM
I have all three, all three serve their purpose.

Get the EX10 if you want to run other scales of RC cars, you can swap modules for different systems. Excellent radio for quite some time!

Get the EX5 if you want a great radio that can only be used with Mini-Zs (unless KO Propo gets off its ass and builds an ASF reciever for other scales!!! :mad:)

Get the KT-18 if you want to strengthen your throwing arm... just kidding!
It's an ok radio, I'd keep a manual handy, it's got a lot of features but no screen to guide you. Mine works just fine for my loaner cars.

Get a EX10 Eurus if you've ever noticed a real-feel difference in radio signal rates.

Get a KIY if you want to be the coolest kid on the driver's stand and you feel like blowing through half a grand!

chad508
2013.01.09, 12:26 PM
I knew I got a KIY for a reason lol

imxlr8ed
2013.01.09, 01:25 PM

Sorry, I was joking with Larry and telling him that it should have a "Win Race" feature on it for that amount of $$$! Just push the "Win" button and set the controller on the driver's stand. :D

I also think it should have something like Siri on it so you can make trim adjustments by voice command during races.

Maybe a web browser and camera too?

Traveler
2013.01.09, 02:00 PM

Did you really???

Gowkaizer
2013.01.09, 02:30 PM
How about a GPS and sonar with that? XD

Sammich
2013.01.09, 02:59 PM
alot of what i was going to say in regards to the 5ur has been said. i do like my 5ur, but seeing as though i eventually want to run more r/cs other than mini z's it's one of the few reasons i'm eventually looking to buy another remote w/ more 'bells and whistles' i dont even think i've went through all the functions on my remote that i can to fine tune my driving. but at the end of the day i do like it alot, and i'm glad i didnt get the KT

chad508
2013.01.09, 03:03 PM
alot of what i was going to say in regards to the 5ur has been said. i do like my 5ur, but seeing as though i eventually want to run more r/cs other than mini z's it's one of the few reasons i'm eventually looking to buy another remote w/ more 'bells and whistles' i dont even think i've went through all the functions on my remote that i can to fine tune my driving. but at the end of the day i do like it alot, and i'm glad i didnt get the KT
It was a lot of money but I really like it. It was the first radio that I could actually feel a difference in reaction time. I spend a lot of money and time on this hobby so I always want the new gadget. It's my weakness.

NoBrainer
2013.01.09, 03:11 PM
But a KIY is not (my personal opinion) the best way to spend your money if you drive more than Mini-Z.
That main module is expensive and with the connection to the handle may not be the best solution.

A EX-10 Eurus with a RF-902SM for Mini-Z and a RF-904FH module & KR-411Fh receiver for other cars is a better solution.

But this guy is only asking for which one. And I would go for a used EX-10 Eurus or a new EX-5UR. Depending on what he could lay his hands on first....

Traveler
2013.01.09, 03:12 PM
It was a lot of money but I really like it. It was the first radio that I could actually feel a difference in reaction time. I spend a lot of money and time on this hobby so I always want the new gadget. It's my weakness.

If you let me touch it, I'll have one more reason to come down later this month :rolleyes:

imxlr8ed
2013.01.09, 03:14 PM
If you let me touch it, I'll have one more reason to come down later this month :rolleyes:

LOL... :D 2 funny!

Only a matter of time until someone shows up at the track with something like this:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=88&pictureid=1561

chad508
2013.01.09, 03:59 PM
Traxxas already has something like that.

If you come down marwan I promise to let you not only touch it but you can even play with it. Lol

chad508
2013.01.09, 04:03 PM
I agree the KIY is not a cost effective radio when it comes to running multi scales. I have a eurus that I use to run mini. With but starte using it with 1/8 buggy. I hated the fact that the radio was always dirty and oily so I opted for a second mini dedicated radio.

lfisminiz
2013.01.09, 04:32 PM
I agree the KIY is not a cost effective radio when it comes to running multi scales. I have a eurus that I use to run mini. With but starte using it with 1/8 buggy. I hated the fact that the radio was always dirty and oily so I opted for a second mini dedicated radio.

Hey Chad...is your working ok? Mine and everybody else i know are having problems with the KIY. I sent mine back...waiting for it.

chad508
2013.01.09, 04:48 PM
I have been hearing the same thing, but as of now I have had no problems. What was yours doing

lfisminiz
2013.01.09, 05:04 PM
I have been hearing the same thing, but as of now I have had no problems. What was yours doing

Well, mine and most others i know were not keepnig the TH. in nuetral. In my case, i was all good at Maj, then when i went to run car again, turned all on and the car was running without any TH input from me. Eddie said thats basically what there problems were.

TheSteve
2013.01.09, 05:13 PM
My question for the original poster would be if he also runs larger scale cars? There are many radios which can be used for everything and that may be the best investment. I really like having one transmitter for all cars/scales.