PDA

View Full Version : Drifting Setup. What does what?

LED
2013.01.20, 04:29 AM
Hi all
I have recently purchased an AWD only for the purpase of drifting.
I have looking around alo for tuning tips, but they are hard to find.
So I would like to center all things in this thread. I will fill in the first post as answer come in. This way it's an easy tuning thread for new AWD owners like myself.

So my questions are simple. What effect do following things have on drifting:

- Front springs: harder/softer
- Rear springs: Harder/softer
- Toe in/out front
- Toe in/out rear
- Camber front
- Camber rear
- ball diff front and what does a loose or stiff diff do
- ball diff rear and what does a loose or stiff diff do
- one-way diff front
- one way diff rear
- locked diff front
- locked diff rear
- Offset rim front
- Offset rims rear
- Wheelbase shorter/longer

Any other simple tricks or things to know?

Thank you

LED
2013.01.23, 05:35 PM
apparently not alot of drifters here?

dugrant153
2013.02.17, 10:55 PM
I've just rekindled my passion for Miniz and drifting. Right now, I am starting with drift tires, which I bought many years ago. They're really hard. I think next think would be an ideal surface and a lot of space. Not too sure how I'm going to figure that out.

monkeyZ
2013.02.17, 11:43 PM
You will want to bind the rear diff. You can either buy the kyosho solid rear diff or stuff something into the gear diff to create a solid diff. Some people use a one-way in the front as well to give more steering control.

You can also add negative camber as well to help initiate and maintain drift.

monkeyZ
2013.02.18, 08:14 AM
I've just rekindled my passion for Miniz and drifting. Right now, I am starting with drift tires, which I bought many years ago. They're really hard. I think next think would be an ideal surface and a lot of space. Not too sure how I'm going to figure that out.

We run on normal RCP and on commercial carpet.

I also forgot to mention that we are using the kyosho plastic wheels.

LED
2013.02.18, 08:17 AM
You will want to bind the rear diff. You can either buy the kyosho solid rear diff or stuff something into the gear diff to create a solid diff. Some people use a one-way in the front as well to give more steering control.

You can also add negative camber as well to help initiate and maintain drift.

Thank you for the reply.
Would that be negative cambers in the front, rear or both?

steve71075
2013.02.20, 07:41 AM
From reading various threads about the web when first getting my awd , I went with 4.5 negative camber all round , .2 toe in front and rear , solid rear axle , front one way , bearings , alloy drive shafts and alloy servo saver assembly .

Currently running a Pn racing 70t motor which quite a few people recommend , planning on swapping that out for something a bit quicker though maybe a speedy awd?

I'm also looking for a 6t centre shaft gear so I can modify the chassis for counter steer , 6t 28t at the front and 8t 26t at the rear .

Steve

art3ria
2013.02.26, 04:59 PM
From reading various threads about the web when first getting my awd , I went with 4.5 negative camber all round , .2 toe in front and rear , solid rear axle , front one way , bearings , alloy drive shafts and alloy servo saver assembly .

Currently running a Pn racing 70t motor which quite a few people recommend , planning on swapping that out for something a bit quicker though maybe a speedy awd?

I'm also looking for a 6t centre shaft gear so I can modify the chassis for counter steer , 6t 28t at the front and 8t 26t at the rear .

Steve

I have CounterSteer in my MA015, the max effective CS that you can get is 144% because you can't add more direction angle, more CS without more direction angle is not effective.
To get this you have to modify the centershat in the front side and add 6t Pinion, we have some prototypes in testing to produce it and sell.

you can add modify to get 10T pinion at rear but you will get a lower ratio that can be dangeorus to your ESC.

I come from 1:10 Drift RC. and i use similar setup in my own MA015:

Fron Camber: -1/-2 .
Front Suspension: I.A.S : White Regular Atomic AWD Springs.
Front Diff Gear :EagleRacing Diff: 6T Pinion - 28T Spur.
Front Toe :-1.

Rear Camber: 0
Rear Suspension: S.A.S : White Atomic SAS Springs.
Rear Diff Gear: 3Racing Spool : 8T Stock Pinion 26T Spur.
Rear Toe: 1.

Tires: Kyosho Narrow Dirift Tires Front&Rear.
Motor Kyosho XSpeed.
Ratio: 19T-29T.
Cs 144%

Wheel Base 90mm with a S2000 Body but with CS has better performance to drift in 94mm

Sorry my bad English.

steve71075
2013.02.26, 07:49 PM
Would definantly be interested in one of the gears as I'm struggling to find anything to fit . Where have you managed to find your 6t ?

English is perfect , I'd had not have guessed it was not your first language :D

art3ria
2013.02.27, 03:34 AM
Would definantly be interested in one of the gears as I'm struggling to find anything to fit . Where have you managed to find your 6t ?

English is perfect , I'd had not have guessed it was not your first language :D

The mr02/03 6T pinion is your friend. :D it has the same pitch that the spur of awd diff.

steve71075
2013.02.27, 06:56 AM
Thanks for that , will order a pack and try it out ;)

art3ria
2013.02.27, 07:24 AM
you have to cut it and sand a little the main shaft, if you want i can upload some picks of a testing shaft that we machined to plug the pinion.

If you do more bigger the hole of the pinion the most probably will be that you break the pinion because it is to much thin. the only way is sand or machine the front side of the shaft to adapt it.

steve71075
2013.02.27, 09:39 AM
Pictures would be fantastic , I've searched and searched the web for any information without any luck .

Steve

HaCo
2013.02.27, 01:14 PM
Can someone explain countersteer please?

art3ia, which diffsetup do you run? (I hope I didn't miss it :-) ).

Would adding thick grease in the rear diff give the same result as a solid axle?

art3ria
2013.02.28, 03:28 AM
Sorry, yesterday i couldn't take any photo, today i will upload it.

About Cs, is named to a mod that we do in own 1:10 4x4 chasis to get a lower ratio from rear side and higher from front.
This cause that the rear wheels turns more faster that the front wheels, the rear wheels try to overpass the front wheels because the Rear wheels take more RPM for the diference of ratio.

If you want contronl it you have to counter steer with the front wheels keep the car whitout doing a total spin. This mods is named CouterSteer.

It gives to you more real sensation to drive a car as a RWD and not an AWD.

In my 1:10 Tamiya TA05 VDF i have 220% of counter steer.
There is a good video for learn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTsrNsrvVg8
Show the front wheels in any curve.

Regards.

LED
2013.02.28, 10:26 AM
So 220% meaning the rear wheels RPM is 2.2 times higher then the front??
That seems alot :p

eit. nice vid. the amount of camber on those cars is insane :D

NoBrainer
2013.02.28, 12:11 PM
he is talking about 220% countersteer and not rpm if I read this correct.
I might be wrong though.

Bodom
2013.02.28, 01:10 PM
So 220% meaning the rear wheels RPM is 2.2 times higher then the front??
That seems alot :p

eit. nice vid. the amount of camber on those cars is insane :D

he is talking about 220% countersteer and not rpm if I read this correct.
I might be wrong though.

LED is right and NoBrainer - wrong :)
220% means rear wheels RPM is 2.2 times then the front.

LED
2013.03.04, 06:56 AM
Sorry, yesterday i couldn't take any photo, today i will upload it.

Hi. Had time to take that picture yet?:)

About fitting an MR02 gear, what did you do with the bearing? As I see it you would need a different bearing that would fir around the gear? Any extra info on how you did this would be very much appreciated.