PDA

View Full Version : Brushless MR03VE on AWD chassis?

rodolfosolis
2013.01.24, 09:08 PM
Does anybody know if the brushless motor would fit on an AWD chassis, using an MR03VE main board, just replacing the servo motor with an standard AWD servo motor? Thank you for your information!

DMALMAD
2013.01.24, 09:45 PM
I would assume so since the new brushless motor is the same size as a stock brushed motor and plenty of people have converted their awd's to run mr-03 boards, but I may be wrong.

cowboysir
2013.01.24, 10:02 PM
The VE board is visually bigger than an mr03 board but doesn't look much bigger length wise than an AM board so I bet it'll be an easy conversion.

yamar6
2013.01.25, 10:02 AM
It should fit

d1nzfe
2013.01.25, 11:42 AM
Yes it fits, only the top cover needs to trim alittle to clear the longer board.
:)
A pic without the cover .
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7649/36511101513305037198762.jpg

herman
2013.01.25, 12:14 PM
nice! rims choice as well… were you able to figure out programming the ve on the computer?

TheSteve
2013.01.25, 04:35 PM
Running the brushless in my AWD is my goal. The efficiency and power should work really well with the AWD, not to mention the drivetrain offers enough drag braking so the the fact that the motor has very little should work out great.

My AWD already stomps all the MR03s, may as well make it even quicker.

Felix2010
2013.01.25, 06:04 PM
Sick whip d1inzfe:D daddy like.

@TheSteve- Keep kickin' tail and takin' names with your AWD, glad to hear someone has the courage to run AWD vs MR03.hehe;):) As for making the AWD quicker? I think brushless is definitely AWD-friendly, torque-heavy punch plus very respectable high-end RPM. If Kyosho's Orion VE BL motor delivers this much performance right out the gate, I hope to see upgraded brushless motors to up the performance ante of the AWD even more.. We shall see.

I definitely would love to see more photos and track/race results of brushless-AWD conversions:)

cowboysir
2013.01.25, 08:32 PM
Running the brushless in my AWD is my goal. The efficiency and power should work really well with the AWD, not to mention the drivetrain offers enough drag braking so the the fact that the motor has very little should work out great.

My AWD already stomps all the MR03s, may as well make it even quicker.

It also helps you and Grant have been RC racing for 30+ years...

I do think a BL AWD would be the way to go.

TheSteve
2013.01.25, 09:13 PM
It also helps you and Grant have been RC racing for 30+ years...

I do think a BL AWD would be the way to go.

Years of experience never hurts(only been driving RC for 27 years though) I haven't driven my awd at a meet for a long time, only my mr03. At home though no matter the day or layout my awd is always faster then my mr03. Grant saw it and configured an awd in a similar manor, his awd is also faster then his mr03. They are more work to drive though, we do miss the mr03 steering servo.
You are a long ways away but if you're ever in Langley let me know, you can drop by and do some laps. A good sized track is setup 24/7.

herman
2013.01.25, 09:39 PM
TheSteve
not to mention the drivetrain offers enough drag braking so the the fact that the motor has very little should work out great.

hi, with the limited time i had with the mr03ve (d1nzfe let me try his when i visited singapore), it did have very little drag brake, like it was more like coasting to a stop rather than braking (kinda like the dnano, if you tried one)… i believe drag braking can be programmed once linked to the computer.

TheSteve
2013.01.25, 10:00 PM
hi, with the limited time i had with the mr03ve (d1nzfe let me try his when i visited singapore), it did have very little drag brake, like it was more like coasting to a stop rather than braking (kinda like the dnano, if you tried one)… i believe drag braking can be programmed once linked to the computer.

It sounds perfect for the awd car, the transmission provides plenty of drag braking, the motor doesn't need to provide any. I have two dnanos - great little cars! Now if I could find a place with an mr03ve in stock(at a good price) so I can get one and remove the electronics and motor.

d1nzfe
2013.01.27, 10:37 AM
nice! rims choice as well… were you able to figure out programming the ve on the computer?

we havent got any luck with that yet, the same goes for those in malaysia. :(

herman
2013.01.27, 09:51 PM
i think that there is some sort of an adapter that you have to use...

http://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20130118/21/kyoshoblog/10/20/j/t02200165_0640048012382399441.jpg

from here kyosho blog (http://ameblo.jp/kyoshoblog/)

TheSteve
2013.01.31, 12:37 PM
Mr03ve is on the way, should have my AWD converted to brushless next week some time. Will be fun to compare lap times on my home track with the brushless versus an Xpseed V AWD motor.

gctkaz
2013.01.31, 06:13 PM
Grant saw it and configured an awd in a similar manor, his awd is also faster then his mr03.
So that's what happened. Grant was at the last meet and whooped us, I couldn't believe how fast that AWD was.

I also changed the gearing a bit on my AWD and somehow it felt so fast I couldn't control it, but I didn't get to run it long before a hit broke my chassis at the knuckle slider.

Looking forward to seeing what you'll make of the VE board, Steve.

Cherub1m
2013.02.01, 07:19 AM
So that's what happened. Grant was at the last meet and whooped us, I couldn't believe how fast that AWD was.

I also changed the gearing a bit on my AWD and somehow it felt so fast I couldn't control it, but I didn't get to run it long before a hit broke my chassis at the knuckle slider.

Looking forward to seeing what you'll make of the VE board, Steve.

Are you guys running on RCP or Carpet? and which Grant are you talking about? the Grant from PN?

TheSteve
2013.02.16, 01:25 AM
My MA015 SP orange edition is now converted to brushless. I have only done bench testing for now, I will post a performance update after I do some laps this weekend.

The swap did have a few small issues, all related to the steering. As many people know if you install an MR03 board into an AWD car you get very little steering. This occurs because the feedback potentiometer doesn't move as much in the AWD. This same problem occurs when installing an MR03VE board into an AWD of course. There are two solutions - if you're using a transmitter with a module such as the 901SM you can generally turn the ATV/EPAs up to get enough steering. If you are forced into using something such as a KT18 you can add some resistors to the outer legs of the potentiometer. I tried both options.
Adding the resistors is a terrible solution, while it does work you lose massive steering resolution.
I use a Futaba 4PK for my transmitter, turning up the steering EPA gives me lock to lock steering but has its own problem. Its hard to explain here but due to how the digital packets are generated by the 901SM module the car would lose the radio signal briefly when performing very fast right to left transitions. This is indicated by the red LED on the car flickering. The reason for the problem is the data packets are being generated slightly off of time frame to frame(this relates to how the radio sends the signal to module) Anyway the solution to the problem is to use the mixing built into the radio. I mix channel 1 to channel 3 but invert channel 3. This means whatever channel 1 does(the steering) channel 3 is doing the exact opposite. This will cancel the framing error and you get a 100% solid link with the car. This may not occur with all module based transmitters, it can vary with the frame rate of the transmitter and the number of channels.

josyskunk
2013.02.16, 04:52 AM
Hi Steven,

I have encountered the same problem as you, my VE board keep flickering sometime. I am using a 4PK as my radio too. But I know absolutely zero about channel mixing on my radio. Can you show me step by step how to do it:D

Thanks in advance

TheSteve
2013.02.17, 03:45 AM
Joey - I will post programming instructions when I have time.

I did do a couple hundred laps tonight and was very pleased with the results. No question I get more run time. The power delivery is also very smooth. If geared too aggressive I think top performing batteries will be required. I've already gone to a larger spur and smaller pinion then I was running with the Xspeed V AWD motor but still have more speed. Motor starting is much better then I was expecting for a sensorless motor.
Tomorrow I plan to do more laps and will try some of the ICS programming options and fine tune my gearing. I will be shocked if I don't do a faster lap when its all done. For the type of running I like to do I see the brushless adding good value to my AWD car.

josyskunk
2013.02.17, 06:48 AM
thanks Steven :)

TheSteve
2013.02.19, 01:37 AM
OK, 4PK programming. There are several menu options in the 4PK, they change depending on if you select level 1, 2 or 3. I use level 2 for all of my models.
There are also several types of mixing but the easiest one I found to use was the one labeled "boat". Select that menu and then the following options:

*TRG-BRK > NORMAL

*TILT MIXING
CH1>3: -100
CH3>1: 0
MODE: ON

That is all you need to do.

This commands channel 3 to do the opposite of whatever channel 1 is doing(Channel 1 is the steering channel). On the mr03ve electronics channel 3 doesn't appear to be used at all(I don't think it supports tikitiki) so using it is no problem.

If you then select the "SERVO" menu you can see bars that indicate the position of the steering, throttle etc. When you move the steering wheel you should see the channel 1 and 3 bar graphs moving in opposite directions.

I've driven quite a bit with this setup and its working flawlessly with the 4PK so I'm sure you'll be 100% when you made the change, no more red light flickering or loss of signal.

josyskunk
2013.02.19, 10:29 PM
Thank you very much :D

TheSteve
2013.03.04, 04:07 PM
After many laps with the brushless installed in the AWD car I love it more then ever. The motor is well sealed inside the chassis but doesn't overheat so running battery after battery is possible(did 1800 laps on Saturday) To get the most out of it your batteries need to be good, if they are tired at all you can feel it in the torque of the motor instantly.
Still looking forward to getting a second one, just as soon as Kyosho releases another batch in Japan.

xtof1974
2013.05.23, 10:27 AM
hello everyone i'm very interesting by this solution. Is it possible to get a tuto in video or with pictures to make the the same assembly. At present i have a big problem with my 33T PN .my fets Come unsoldered from the board because of overheat .this might be my solution.:)

danieluki
2013.05.25, 02:38 AM
After watching this I think I will wait to Kyosho...
Hope Kyosho incorpore the MR03 digital servo to this chassis... if not would be a great mistake...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6Gy6Vqq9SYo/UZmhkWB8VEI/AAAAAAAAbTw/2gKAYwoLKVY/s640/972261_471176152965610_1309306190_n.jpg

Black RX
2013.09.02, 12:40 PM
when you install the VE's board and servo into the ma-10/15 chassis, do you need to do more soldering ?

or you can just open the the mr 03 ve's and the ma 10/15's chassis with he screw driver and move the board along with the servo without any soldering works ?

and how about the motor mounting for the brushless motor in the awd chassis ? :D

TheSteve
2013.09.02, 03:00 PM
Yes, soldering is required. You need to reuse the AWD servo motor and on/off switch. Its also easiest to reuse the pot. The brushless motor mounts just like a regular brushed motor.

Black RX
2013.09.03, 02:22 PM
Yes, soldering is required. You need to reuse the AWD servo motor and on/off switch. Its also easiest to reuse the pot. The brushless motor mounts just like a regular brushed motor.

i see

do you use the awd's servo to be connected with the mr-03 board ?

or you move the mr-03 ve servo along to the awd chassis ?

TheSteve
2013.09.03, 02:25 PM
The servo motor is completely different so you need to use the original AWD servo and just connect the wires to the VE board. The servo motor wires are connected the same as the VE has them connected. The pot wires however need the outside two wires swapped side to side(there are three wires total)
If they aren't swapped the steering will just go hard over to one side as soon as you power it on or move the wheels.

neo_hito
2014.04.09, 01:02 AM
apologies for reviving an ol' thread, but I tried doing this and it ended with the limited steering problem...
so decided cbf, installed the old unit to handle the steering AND the VE board just for the motor, bound both to the same tx :P
I've only ran it for a couple of times, but can anyone think of any disadvantages going with this? battery drain?

I also welcome any solution to the steering problem... haven't tried the resistor method but if its terrible then i dont wanna be any part of it haha