PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Tires

DanDan
2013.02.07, 12:45 PM
Now that we are in the midst of the great PN tire epidemic of 2013...

What can we use for rear tires that are comparable to the PN 6 degree rear?

I know in order to run the K20 on the rear I would have to make some setup adjustments and even after that I won't be able to keep up with the PN 6 equipped cars. I haven't tried the "Super-Soft" Kyosho 10 degree tires yet. Is there an Atomic tire that would work that doesn't contain silicone?

Sammich
2013.02.07, 01:03 PM
we commonly use Kyosho 20(R) and 40(F)

miamimcnutt
2013.02.07, 02:31 PM
we at HSH run kyosho 20(R) and 30(F)

DanDan
2013.02.07, 02:41 PM
We used to run Kyosho 20 rear tires, but we found that the PN tires are much better. Even some our area's best drivers couldn't get the Kyosho 20's to hook up well enough to be competitive. The only way we could run Kyosho 20's is if everyone were to run them to make the field even.

cowboysir
2013.02.07, 03:25 PM
Do you guys have access to a tire truer? I've gotten good results with K20R but I get a good step up in performance if i groove my K20's on the truer.

Sammich
2013.02.07, 03:29 PM
for me, at least on RCP, it took forever for my PN tires to warm up...the Kyoshos were money when i finally got them broken in

blt456
2013.02.07, 04:57 PM
The two bay area tracks only comply with PN rear tires as of now. Kyosho 20 slick rears used to work, but since so many people ran PN tires on these tracks, they are the dominant tire brand. You can use traction compound to get more traction or use a PN lsd spur gear to retain same diff characteristics but with a looser setting, which equates to more rear grip.

Rrr06 tires have good life despite how fast the tread wears down on some tracks. Some tracks are more abbrasive than others, which speeds up the wear rate. I have noticed this at some tracks I've been to.

TheRinger
2013.02.07, 05:23 PM
Now that we are in the midst of the great PN tire epidemic of 2013...

What can we use for rear tires that are comparable to the PN 6 degree rear?

I know in order to run the K20 on the rear I would have to make some setup adjustments and even after that I won't be able to keep up with the PN 6 equipped cars. I haven't tried the "Super-Soft" Kyosho 10 degree tires yet. Is there an Atomic tire that would work that doesn't contain silicone?

What's the issue with PN tires? Supply problem?

lfisminiz
2013.02.07, 06:10 PM
What's the issue with PN tires? Supply problem?

Ya i wonder that too. Mine are very good. Whats your issue?

DanDan
2013.02.07, 09:00 PM
Look at kenon's website. You can't get PN 6's right now. Both local tracks are out.

ChiMiniRc
2013.02.07, 09:06 PM
Look at kenon's website. You can't get PN 6's right now. Both local tracks are out.

PM if you need some. There is a local hobbyshop that has them. However, they appear to be a new compound and will slip right off (brand new set) unless you tape them down well.

ChiMiniRc
2013.02.07, 09:10 PM
Oh, and at the same time, we've had great success with the Kyosho 20 radials. UNtrued are great and trued are fantastic. However, we run 70t motors with 7t or 12t (64p) gearing. Anything faster and I can see you losing the rear end a little. The Kyosho 10d rears are VERY soft and I would almost say they need gluing or serious strong tape. (Then again, the most recent batch of PN 6d rears seem as soft).

d1nzfe
2013.02.07, 09:19 PM
PN6 are definitely providing more grip on RCP and contributing to better lap times over k20s by 0.2s per lap(on our track).
I do agree in some pn6 namely radial and parada are softer than x-type 6s.

yasuji
2013.02.07, 09:21 PM

dan i did some testing over the last week that we have been out of stock
the rxr06 has been working really good with thex15

trexflyer02
2013.02.07, 10:19 PM
dan i did some testing over the last week that we have been out of stock
the rxr06 has been working really good with thex15

Really? I tried RXR06's and had nearly no rear traction. Just way too hard of a compound...

yasuji
2013.02.07, 10:31 PM
Really? I tried RXR06's and had nearly no rear traction. Just way too hard of a compound...

the first pack of battery felt a little looser than the rrr but as the x pattern went away it got more grip on the other possibility is the rsr06... however you must true it flat or at least sand off the coating to break them in :)

trexflyer02
2013.02.08, 12:17 AM
the first pack of battery felt a little looser than the rrr but as the x pattern went away it got more grip on the other possibility is the rsr06... however you must true it flat or at least sand off the coating to break them in :)

Hmm ... maybe I'll have to try them again. Parada 6's are my favorites as of late, but just like the radial 6's, they are out of stock :(

Sammich
2013.02.08, 06:24 AM
The two bay area tracks only comply with PN rear tires as of now. Kyosho 20 slick rears used to work, but since so many people ran PN tires on these tracks, they are the dominant tire brand. You can use traction compound to get more traction or use a PN lsd spur gear to retain same diff characteristics but with a looser setting, which equates to more rear grip.

Rrr06 tires have good life despite how fast the tread wears down on some tracks. Some tracks are more abbrasive than others, which speeds up the wear rate. I have noticed this at some tracks I've been to.

i forgot about that too...that does make a difference

DanDan
2013.02.11, 04:17 PM
We tried trued 6 slicks, trued and grooved 6 slicks, X-Patterns and Kyosho 20s.None of them worked as well as the bald worn out 6's I would have thrown out 3 weeks ago.

It might just be time to take a vacation from Mini-Z until tires come back. Racing is going to be ugly without the right tires.

ChiMiniRc
2013.02.11, 04:26 PM
I'm not sure what's going on with the newest batch of rrr06 we got. Some were super soft. So soft that a standard pn70t without holding the diff will spin a brand new tire right off the rim. Then another package they were just as expected and ran great.

And on the flipside, I have to take back my comment on the Kyosho 20 degree. I had a faster more aggressive car that wouldn't hold the rear end in turns and moved to the rrr06 and almost had too much traction. Car had way more push so I had to move to an even softer front tire. It seems the Kyosho 20 degree in the colder weather (or more specifically, colder track) seems to suffer more.

DanDan
2013.02.11, 08:03 PM
In order for the car to balance correctly, I probably have to run a harder front if I run a harder rear.

Back to the drawing board.

yasuji
2013.02.11, 08:25 PM
ive been told that the RRR06 should come back in to stock before the end of the month....
in the mean time i will be working on my driving ability!...with the x-pattern rears my car seems to drive really similar to how my car feels @ ILR!:D

DanDan
2013.02.12, 02:05 PM
ive been told that the RRR06 should come back in to stock before the end of the month....
in the mean time i will be working on my driving ability!...with the x-pattern rears my car seems to drive really similar to how my car feels @ ILR!:D

Nice, thanks for the update ;)

DanDan
2013.02.12, 02:44 PM
I finally got the X-Patterns to hook up. They definitely need to be given time to break in. In my case it look wearing off most of the X-Pattern for it to grip better. With my car/setup it look some adjustments to get it feeling right, but I'm really picky with my setup so it might be a simpler process for other racers.

yasuji
2013.02.12, 10:02 PM
I finally got the X-Patterns to hook up. They definitely need to be given time to break in. In my case it look wearing off most of the X-Pattern for it to grip better. With my car/setup it look some adjustments to get it feeling right, but I'm really picky with my setup so it might be a simpler process for other racers.
:)
just true it off....thats the easiest way!

DanDan
2013.02.12, 10:41 PM
:)
just true it off....thats the easiest way!

Noted, thank you Grant! I got the X's going, but I couldn't get the slicks to hook up. Tried new, used, trued, grooved, then again with another set just to make sure. I know someone who likes the slicks at ILR, but I couldn't personally get them to grip.

speedyracer
2013.05.31, 09:20 AM
Why must tires be trued? Why can't they be factory trued?

say it started 2.5 mm and we true it so final thickness becomes 2.0mm (say).

If it's factory trued, we want the initial thickness be at 2.5mm.

Well i guess for maximum profitability.

ChiMiniRc
2013.05.31, 09:49 AM
Why must tires be trued? Why can't they be factory trued?

say it started 2.5 mm and we true it so final thickness becomes 2.0mm (say).

If it's factory trued, we want the initial thickness be at 2.5mm.

Well i guess for maximum profitability.

In order for them to be trued, they would have to mounted to the rim.
So now you have to get the right offsets, right style, and right tire compound and brand.
Plus I would say most prefer the tires to be thinner. Say, if the MFG started at 3.0mm, we'd still true to 2.0mm in your example.

cowboysir
2013.05.31, 12:29 PM
Tires don't necessarily need trueing if you've got the time and the laps to scrub them in. Performance wise properly glued and trued tires are a quick way to get instant grip and proper, consistent direction from the front end.