PDA

View Full Version : TDS on carpet setup

Penumbra
2013.02.15, 03:12 AM
Hi All

I went for a full upgrade on my mr-03 yesterday. To make adjusting and fine tuning a little easier I first mounted the double a arm from PN and did a basic setup so that it runs as good as beofre the upgrade. Then I mounted the tds system and now I do have some issues I cant get rid off and I wanted to know if any of you could point me in the right direction. I know it will take some hours of fine tuning but it always helps if someone can tell me , go softer , go harder,...

The problem I have now is that the car has a lot move oversteer in the mid and exit of the corners.

And I have serious dribbling issues at the back

so I would like to sove that.

here is my current setup:

Front is ok as I tested that seperately but any way I will mention it here.

front PN racing double a arm with green springs, caster at 0, tie rod : + 0, camber at standard position.

REAR

central damper : PN racing blue spring and standard silver return spring and a little bit of friction grease and the spring collar touches the spring without preload

side dampers: PN racing green springs with a bit of friction grease and the spring collars just touch the springs without preload
side dampers

tires are glued and taped.
front 20 atomic competition
rear : 7 atomic v groove

we ride on a very flat carpet track with high grip.

any help is appreciated :)

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33513&stc=1&d=1360919471

Traveler
2013.02.15, 03:32 AM
I would guess you need more dampening. What kind of grease are you using? Kyosho 15,000 Diff Gear Grease works well. Lots more on setting up the PN TDS HERE (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34065)

Penumbra
2013.02.15, 05:15 AM
I am using the friction grease that came with the atomic SAS kit for my awd it's a very , very sticky grease so I really use a very small amount of it.

thanks for the info already ! much appreciated!

Penumbra
2013.02.15, 06:45 AM
UPDATE: I did some testing this noon and I changed the tie rod to a +0.5 and the car is much calmer now but still has some oversteer. I compensated with with my receiver and did lower the steering range to 83 (instead of 85) and agin this improved handling and got rid of the dribbling issue.

But my question now is: did I just compensate the problem with other solutions and so the actual problem (in the tds ) remains or is this the way to go.

regards

K

chad508
2013.02.15, 08:14 AM
i only use a kyosho oil shock on all my tds cars. only way i can get the dampening i need.

yasuji
2013.02.15, 09:11 AM
UPDATE: I did some testing this noon and I changed the tie rod to a +0.5 and the car is much calmer now but still has some oversteer. I compensated with with my receiver and did lower the steering range to 83 (instead of 85) and agin this improved handling and got rid of the dribbling issue.

But my question now is: did I just compensate the problem with other solutions and so the actual problem (in the tds ) remains or is this the way to go.

regards

K
what t plate r u using?
the spring combo in the rear is a little odd....
normaly red or stiffer on the main shock
and red or softer on the side shocks

Penumbra
2013.02.15, 09:48 AM
I'm using an atomic carbon x flex plate 6mm stage 1

And so you would suggest a harder central spring ? also on carpet? I will try that tonight.

and fro the side damper springs the softest I have is red , I will try those too.

thanks allready

Sammich
2013.02.15, 10:25 AM
i use 15k in mine...it might actually be dry right now, now that i think about it

yasuji
2013.02.15, 10:54 AM
I'm using an atomic carbon x flex plate 6mm stage 1

And so you would suggest a harder central spring ? also on carpet? I will try that tonight.

and fro the side damper springs the softest I have is red , I will try those too.

thanks allready

idk what stifness that t plate is.... i use the pn racing #4or#5 fiberglass t plate
and for the side shocks i use the blue spring that u are using on your main shock
and on the main shock i normaly use red or green
btw.... i use the option springs for the top shock

Penumbra
2013.02.18, 06:53 AM
and yet another update. Today I tried the red springs on the side dampers. Spring collars just touching the springs so no preload.

This gave a lot of understeer on exiting the corner.
T progressively started with some more preload on the side dampers and this made it a bit better but no major improvement. SO tomorrow I'm going to try harder side springs..

Still, more suggestions are welcome :)