PDA

View Full Version : Mr-03 narrow viper body setup suggestions?

ChiMiniRc
2013.02.17, 10:39 AM
I have a racer in are club that REALLY wants to run their viper bodies. He understand narrow bodies on an RCP track is going to present problems. We are going to do our best to try and make it work. My assumption is traction role is going to be an issue.

In other threads I've read traction role troubleshooting heads towards thicker oil on the damper plate and stiffer front springs. Pay attention to body role introducing chassis drag or body drag which could cause the car to catch the track and flip.

Any suggestions at making a narrow setup with the Viper body a success. The racer is open to buying whatever is needed for it to work.

NoBrainer
2013.02.17, 11:48 AM
what about the reflex adjustable front. Can that help traction roll if he raises the roll center?

imxlr8ed
2013.02.17, 12:10 PM
Some well worn-in Atomic 30 fronts... I've always had luck with these for narrow cars. Good tire tape, or superglue the tires on. If supergluing, it never hurts to get some glue on the sidewalls to kill the traction roll entirely. The car may push like all heck though... it's a fine line where the glue stops and the traction starts, a tire truer will help with this and some good tire rounding skills. A bit harder front springs but I wouldn't go too crazy, it really depends on the traction levels available.

I could go on and on with every little tweak to get the narrows to get around better (plastic removal from windows and body, raising up the body clips, lowering the nose clip, lexan wing... etc.) but they've all been on here at one time or another.

Rune
2013.02.17, 04:46 PM
Harder springs often bites back ;) If there are high grip levels its sometimes better to let the car roll some.
Agree with Nobrainer and imxlr8ed for the rest.

Put ballast in the centre tunnel also, and stay away from to high profile on the rear tires.
One more thing that can help, are to increase the ride height in front vs rear. Negativ rake will lessen the weight transfer.

ChiMiniRc
2013.02.17, 08:25 PM
Harder springs often bites back ;) If there are high grip levels its sometimes better to let the car roll some.
Agree with Nobrainer and imxlr8ed for the rest.

Put ballast in the centre tunnel also, and stay away from to high profile on the rear tires.
One more thing that can help, are to increase the ride height in front vs rear. Negativ rake will lessen the weight transfer.

I like the idea of running the front higher. I do have a tire truer. You feel truing the tires down helps with roll? He doesn't mind spending money on wheels and tires so I gather we'll try glue.

bcpzx3
2013.02.17, 08:57 PM
use a harder front tire and adjust driving style.

herman
2013.02.18, 04:26 AM
with the viper being narrow rm body... he might want to consider getting the atomic motor mount that will allow a 90 mid mount configuration...

then swap out the standard ball diff shaft with the shorter ball diff shaft, which i also believe is made by atomic (if you do a search, i believe atomic bundles this together)... this will allow the viper to use wide rims in the rear instead of the narrow...

theoretically, i believe this combo will improve the handling... anybody try running this set up?

here's the pic...
ar265-v2 offers 2mm rear track width reduction while ar265 offers 1mm rear track width reduction compared to the original ball diff
http://www.egrracing.com/shop/images/medium/atomic/AR-265-V2_m.jpg

http://www.egrracing.com/shop/images/addition_atomic/AR-265-V2_inst_2.jpg