PDA

View Full Version : Shizuoka 2011, Special Edition, MR-03 Chrome Chassis

arch2b
2013.02.24, 05:14 PM
thought i would share pictures of the Shizuoka 2011, Special Edition, MR-03 Chrome Chassis i picked up from ebay.

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1438/medium/IMG_4347.jpg

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1438/medium/IMG_4348.jpg

the finish quality is very nice.

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1438/medium/IMG_4349.jpg

cowboysir
2013.02.24, 06:07 PM
Me likey!

Big premium for the chrome?

arch2b
2013.02.24, 06:17 PM
no, not really. cost me $25 shipped from jpn

TheSteve
2013.04.09, 04:18 PM
Just got one of these today, very pretty. I think I might have to actually use it, I like all of my cars to be unique/different.

arch2b
2013.04.09, 04:42 PM
Just got one of these today, very pretty. I think I might have to actually use it, I like all of my cars to be unique/different.
we are alike in that regard. i have the yellow chassis and red chassis setup as well as a stock black. i prefer each of my cars to be unique as well.

lfisminiz
2013.04.09, 06:47 PM
Same here...i would run it. I run my 3 yellow chassis.:)

TheSteve
2013.04.09, 07:22 PM
I'm thinking of using it with my VE system, its going to take a little grinding to get the electronics to fit and I'll need to find a way to hold the servo motor in. If possible I'd also like to use the chrome top cover too, might be able to pull it off.

lfisminiz
2013.04.09, 07:51 PM
I'm thinking of using it with my VE system, its going to take a little grinding to get the electronics to fit and I'll need to find a way to hold the servo motor in. If possible I'd also like to use the chrome top cover too, might be able to pull it off.

If you see anymore chrome chassis...let me/us know. Would like to pick one up.

arch2b
2013.04.09, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't hack it up for a brushless. They are to hard to find. They only made so many.

TheSteve
2013.04.11, 01:56 AM
Well in the end it didn't require much hacking at all. If it was expensive I wouldn't modify it but it was 22 dollars and if I can't enjoy it not much point in having it. I run my yellow chassis, may as well run my chrome one. I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out. I am calling this car the "Terminator".

http://thesteve.ca/mr03vechrome43s.jpg

phea
2013.04.11, 02:41 AM
Shiney! Are those sanyo batteries? I remember those were a hot commodity back when I first started mini-z.

TheSteve
2013.04.11, 02:49 AM
Yep, Sanyo 1000mah. What can I say, when I started in RC the hot cell was the Sanyo sub-c 1200mah SCR nicad. Old habits die hard and when I got these last year there was a local Sanyo distributor so they were well priced and factory fresh. When charged properly they are still an impressive cell.
btw, this is way off topic but none of the current chargers made do a nimh cell justice...

arch2b
2013.04.11, 07:37 AM
not bothered by the cost... just the rarity. :cool:

looks very good though. could you share a picture of the modifications? i may just do that myself if it's that easy.

i was surprised at the quality of the finish myself. the red chrome kit i have isn't nearly as clean and smooth. maybe silver is just easier to do.

TheSteve
2013.04.11, 04:07 PM
I guess I should have taken pictures, I just get into the moment and don't like to slow down. The main chassis requires 5 minutes of shaving or so, if you compare a regular mr03 to the VE chassis you can see where you need to shave so the board will sit in properly. You will also need to add a dimple or a hole in one side to clear a component on the PC board. If you look at the VE chassis you can see its fully open in that spot. Then shave down the steering servo motor mounts completely flat and put the VE servo motor hold down piece into the chassis and drill some tiny holes for the screws.
That takes care of the chassis, the top piece needs quite a bit of the front part machined out so it will clear the PC board. I was able to only shave out a square so its still solid all around. I drilled the bind button hole and also notched the cover near the gyro connector so the green and blue LEDs can be seen. The front cover could be left stock but I decided to drill the proper antenna hole and a small hole for the red LED.

The chrome is quite thick which may be why they don't do the lower front part, I doubt the front kingpins would snap in properly. The base color of the chassis is a yellow and the upper pieces are a darker colored plastic. It does not appear the chrome will wear off that easily which is nice. I'll be looking for more rare/SP chassis bits, unique cars rock.

arch2b
2013.04.11, 05:10 PM
if you find them, give me a message ;) here (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38693&highlight=arch2b).

TheSteve
2013.04.14, 11:19 PM
Drove the chrome car yesterday, it looks just killer when on track. You see the odd reflection through the bodies front window as the chrome chassis catches the light. It is also a little reflective when the blue LED on my transponder blinks.

arch2b - get the chassis installed, its totally worth it!

DaveW
2013.04.15, 01:20 AM
Terminator. :eek:
Bring her out on Sunday. I'd love to see it.
How longs the lineup for the switch from red to blue LED's?
Blue is so cool. :cool:

TheSteve
2013.04.18, 12:40 PM
Rubbed the wall the last night (very lightly even) and the the chrome upper suspension support snapped off. I've seen it happen during heavy hits with a regular chassis but its clear the plastic used with the chrome pieces is very weak - so perhaps they are better left for display purposes.

arch2b
2013.04.18, 01:13 PM
i run the reflex front suspension so front cover points would have to be removed anyway, which is one of the reasons i'm hesitant to cut one up irreversibly.

TheSteve
2013.04.21, 11:52 PM
Ran the chrome beast with a R246-1341 damper system today and it did great! I replaced all of the motor wiring with some very nice black silicone wire which got rid of all tweak.