PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Autoscales!!!!!!!

monkeyZ
2013.02.25, 03:04 PM
Am I the only one that thinks $70 USD for a painted autoscale is getting to be kind of ridiculous? I can buy an entire race prepped slot car for the price of an Autoscale body with the same livery and better detailing. I just don't see any value in buying the Autoscales now that they are nearly $80 USD by the time you get them shipped to you. I realize that white bodies are available, but their prices is also going up quite a bit here too. I really feel like the value is just not there anymore and with the consistent price increases from Kyosho it seems they are trying to eliminate many of us from the hobby.

WorldClassZ
2013.02.25, 04:08 PM
It certainly reduces their usability either for racing or beating around and there's only so many autoscales one wants to collect and display.:(

ScoobyPete
2013.02.25, 05:29 PM
I used to use autos scales to race and have now switch to white bodies. A lot cheaper than a auto scale and they are lighter. Also you don't feel quite so gutted when they get damaged. I don't collect the auto scales, and with the prices going up am reluctant to buy any. Just be thankful you have a wider supply in the states they are next to impossible to buy in the uk some have to either pay the same $ as you guys and then a lot more shipping on top. Flea bay is always a good place to look.

RussF
2013.02.25, 06:27 PM
Its too bad they are so expensive. They sure look nice to have realistic paited cars to race with but ya for $70 plus, I'll just paint my own even if they are kinda boring looking in comparison.

Cherub1m
2013.02.25, 08:19 PM
Am I the only one that thinks $70 USD for a painted autoscale is getting to be kind of ridiculous?

You are not alone, many think the same and many have cut back on buying Autoscales has a result. I know I will be pulling out the glue to reinforce my bodies so they last longer.

machgo5go
2013.02.25, 08:40 PM
Still paying $50.00 and keeps me going since nothing beat the real thing.
If you find someone in this country that can paint like an Autoscale with ALL the details & CAN follow a Real Replica scale like, then I consider more on white body.

kyoshosan
2013.02.25, 10:45 PM
I agree that the autoscale bodies are getting more and more expensive but like machgo5go I can find all the new bodies on ebay and on some US stores for $50. Older bodies you can find for $38 or less. But I agree that Mini-Z is getting too expensive to make it an attractive class. I still believe that MR-02 EX should not cost more than $100 and that Kyosho America should be Promoting them more aggressively like they do in Japan w/ the Mini-Z CUP.

my 2c.

Felix2010
2013.02.26, 03:02 PM
I agree that the autoscale bodies are getting more and more expensive but like machgo5go I can find all the new bodies on ebay and on some US stores for $50. Older bodies you can find for $38 or less. But I agree that Mini-Z is getting too expensive to make it an attractive class. I still believe that MR-02 EX should not cost more than $100 and that Kyosho America should be Promoting them more aggressively like they do in Japan w/ the Mini-Z CUP.

my 2c.

Yes there are internet companies that sell the R8 in all its variants, for less $$ than most if not all USA Kyosho authorized stores. But that's another piece of the puzzle @why painted Autoscales are too much $$$... USA stores can't compete even at 0% profit. The recession's hit, for the most part US, has past its max - But it's left more scrutinizing public when it comes to purchases, so even though we may have the coin to pay, a better deal straight from Japan is still the better deal and... Just another reason USA gets little to no respect from Kyosho here, and there's plenty of bread to be made i the US. The whole Mini-Z thing has gone waaay too high overall (compare to 1/10 cars, we pay equal to more for the best stuff I mean..) Price gauging stifles the whole hobby. Look at price increases over the past 5 years and look at the dwindling Mini-Z scene...

herman
2013.03.12, 04:19 AM
just came back from a short trip from homg kong and posted some pics in the new autoscales for 2013 thread... one thing i forgot to mention... hong kong autoscale prices...

due to the circumstances... it was late, and the shop that i went to was the only shop that was open (this was the same shop where i bought my mr03 when they first came out... i purchased the last one they had... and oddly again i was one of the last customers in the shop)

i guess i should get to the shops earlier next time... but i digress...

over the years, i remember autoscale body pricing to go nothing but up...
hong kong dollars / approx. u.s. dollars
150 / 19
180 / 23
200 / 25
220 / 28
250 / 32
300 / 38
310 / 40
350 / 45

although i know it is a lot cheaper in h.k., prices have indeed gone up... older bodies however are a lot cheaper 200-250 range... last year one shop was offering an autoscale for 100hkd... should of kicked myself in the butt for not taking it even though it wasn't a body that i liked...

a couple of years back when the mclaren longtail (lark) came out... one shop that had it (actually it was the only shop where i saw one) priced it at 350hkd (almost 100hkd more than what the other current bodies cost at the time) ... crazy i thought to myself... who would buy them at that price? i was pretty sure that the price would definitely go down to the 'regular' 200-250hkd price after a couple of months... i figure it was a 'who wants it right now' price and the law of supply and demand kinda played a role somewhere

who would've known that pricing these days would reach that level??? and yep you all could call me crazy for purchasing them.... probably if the other shops were open, i could have compared prices... but in this particular instance... i guess i had no choice... yep you can call me crazy again (don't know when i'll be back again, and knowing current prices out of h.k., i'd be crazy not to purchase them) :D

probably 3-5 months after, when the 'new' bodies are a bit older, and not so 'new'... i believe prices would have gone down, to the level of the 'older' bodies...

perhaps on my next trip... :D or who knows... maybe pricing will stay at the current 350? i'm crossing my fingers they don't.... :D

arch2b
2013.03.12, 06:10 AM
It's reassuring price increases are a global issue vs us complaining in the North American market. In many instances its still cheaper to buy abroad and ship than buy domestically. We find ourselves repeating the first 5 years or so of mini-z with domestic dealer cost exceeding import cost making it a hard sell for domestic retailers. Our local LHS doesn't buy new autoscale a anymore. Just kits and white bodies. Autoscales now are priced to high to sell through.