PDA

View Full Version : Pnwc 2013

tudor_47
2013.03.06, 12:07 AM
PNWC 2013 needs a thread.

I got curious and found the rules ( http://s431563875.initial-website.com/rules/ ) for PNWC 2013 and it states that one is to run on the smooth side of the RCP track.

Anybody has some insight into why run on the smooth side?
Is it to slow things down? PN has som e new tires that work very well on that side?

Traveler
2013.03.06, 03:34 AM
Hmmm... Interesting... Very interesting... Good find!

hilldebrandt
2013.03.06, 04:54 AM
I saw on RC Kenon's f******k page that they started running on the smooth side last month with very little changes to their setups.

briankstan
2013.03.06, 07:39 AM
I was curious as to why the change as well. we don't typically run the PNWC races as we don't have room, but wondered why they changed what side they were running on.

yasuji
2013.03.06, 09:30 AM
I was curious as to why the change as well. we don't typically run the PNWC races as we don't have room, but wondered why they changed what side they were running on.

the surface change has been discussed over the last few years as many clubs all over the world run the smooth side with no problems and i for one welcome the new challenge!:)

there are +/-
+ for the smooth side:
more consistent surface form tile to tile(even with the wide range of different rcp/kyosho/xmod tracks/thickness that we have ranging from 2002-2008)
much cleaner(no rcp dust just tire dust)
tires last almost twice as long(from a buisness stand point this is a bad thing)
a wider range of tires work well on this side(even the kyosho slicks)
NO set up change from the surface change for me!

-
having to spend the time to turn the track over
tires last almost twice as long:D

that being said... i feel the smooth side has alot of rear grip and less front bite making it easier to drive harder into corners without the fear of traction roll... :cool:

briankstan
2013.03.06, 09:48 AM
In my opinion one of the great thing that has always held the mini-z community together was the face that with running on the same surfaces anyone could travel to any other club or race location and know pretty much know what to expect from location to location. It seems that with in the last year there have been some groups that want to change it up and have moved from RCP to Carpet, or changed the side that the RCP is run on. I know it's the right of each group to decide what they want to do and how but at the same time it can cause problems and hesitation for people as to what to expect when going to race at different events as they are no long able to practice at home tracks giving some an advantage over those that don't have the access to the same products. I feel this can hurt participation in the events moving forward, similar to larger scales running carpet and asphalt, most will simply prefer one of the other and stay within their comfort zone.

Traveler
2013.03.06, 10:05 AM
^ I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. :)

Other than my home RCP track and the one at my LHS, I have run on 3 others that I can think of, all on the rough side, and none were even close to the others and setup changes were always required, sometimes major. :o

I've never run on the smooth side of RCP, although I always wanted to. As soon as I get a chance, I will flip my small home track and try it out. If only 1/2 of what Grant said about the smooth side is true, I may not switch back :eek:

Change can be good (sometimes). I applaud PN for mixing it up a little :cool:

hrdrvr
2013.03.06, 10:34 AM
I like the idea of changing things up. PN is trying to keep us on our toes, and to also make sure their series doesn't go stagnant. They are the leaders of innovation in our scale, and I like the fact that they are mixing it up, and trying to keep our scale fresh and interesting.

I don't think RCP rough sided racing brings us closer together as a group, as the track conditions and grip levels can simply not be duplicated track to track. There have been two different times over the years that we had two separate RCP tracks in our town. Set ups had to be modified from one to the other. I have traveled from Northern NJ all the way down to Orlando FL, racing on permanent and temporary tracks, RCP and various carpets. No two tracks are the same...ever. Surface is not the only contributing factor, and you can find many discussions about RCP variances through out this forum. I could recount a bunch of my experiences (and will if any one wants to hear them, lol), but the reality is, if you travel to any other track, you need to be prepared to adapt. The people that aren't willing to adapt aren't going to travel to other tracks anyway, no matter what the surfaces are.

Again, I am happy to see PN switching things up again this year (last year they swapped the straight to the driver's stand side, and changed the running direction), and it will motivate me to participate again. PN has supported my track and club for years and years in more ways than one. Every year I think I'm not going to do a regional they make some interesting change, and keep me coming back :D

Now, if we could get PN to let me run less qualifiers, I'd be golden!!! I hate being forced to do a two day event, and with the level of participation we get, it's impossible to do four rounds and the mains in one day. That's the only thing holding me back form pulling the trigger in setting a date right now.

blt456
2013.03.12, 07:08 PM
There are people who have a deep interest in this hobby and decide to travel to race at other locations. I have traveled to various tracks around the USA, farthest being in Myrtle Beach.

The PNWC is just more than a race. It allows people to make new friends and share their knowledge with others, which in turn helps others back at home tracks.

As for the smooth side for the PNWC, I will try it this weekend and post some tips.

ScoobyPete
2013.04.12, 09:05 AM
We ran the PNWC laayout Smooth side up last weekend. took about 2:30 hours to reverse and lay the track.
Have to say it made a nice change, although our track needs a good wash before the next time we run it.
We did hoover the track but the grip levels between titles was quite noticable.

Not sure how lap times would compare to Rough side up but we did manage to get down into the mid 10's on the smooth side with old tyres.

Bring on new tyres and a clean track:)

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x34/Krade_2007/67a889acbed199fb41a7666e0e1302e6_zps3cb9ade3.jpg

tudor_47
2013.04.22, 02:08 AM
So, we also made our track with the smooth side up, and grip is none existing..

someone mentioned cleaning, how is this best done?

yasuji
2013.04.22, 11:18 AM
So, we also made our track with the smooth side up, and grip is none existing..

someone mentioned cleaning, how is this best done?

vacuum the track than mop it with a slightly DAMP mop... just to pick up the dust...pn 6 radials rears and x 15 fronts... :)

tudor_47
2013.04.22, 03:40 PM
vacuum the track than mop it with a slightly DAMP mop... just to pick up the dust...pn 6 radials rears and x 15 fronts... :)

Thanks!

I'll give it a go, and see if we get it to work..

tudor_47
2013.05.13, 03:48 AM
traction is coming to our track, brand new tires helped out....

after we received a batch of new tires thing went from bad to OK.

ScoobyPete
2013.06.18, 09:17 AM
We're using Kyosho tyres and so far for Stock MZW38-20 rear and MZW-37-30 Front works really well on the smooth side when the track is warmed up.

For the Mod I was trying to get the VE working but 20r-30f just didnt give enough grip at the back. Am looking to try some 10's at the next meet on the back.

Kay-Dee
2013.07.15, 07:03 AM
Hello

A short question - is it necessary to join a regional race to start in France ?

Racer-HH
2013.09.17, 09:22 AM
Any news for the race in Paris?

http://www.minizracing.it/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/PNWC-PN-Racing-World-Cup-Parigi-2013.jpg

Racer-HH
2013.09.26, 07:26 AM
Registration is live: http://pnwc2013.fr/index.php

quazster
2013.09.30, 03:55 AM
77 registered already, registration has been open only 5 days. Will be over 100 drivers, for sure.

Waiting for the event eagerly, flights and hotel booked, just have to prepare me and my gear for Paris :-)

quazster
2013.10.14, 01:17 AM
118 drivers, cool! Biggest mini-z event ever?

Registration closes tomorrow, I think there will be few late entries more for sure.

fastmax
2013.10.14, 09:31 AM
77 registered already, registration has been open only 5 days. Will be over 100 drivers, for sure.

Waiting for the event eagerly, flights and hotel booked, just have to prepare me and my gear for Paris :-)

Good luck and have fun. Look forward to seeing some pics/vid of the event.

quazster
2013.11.13, 06:50 AM
What an event! We at Z Racers did really good:

2WD Stock A-main: 1, 2, 3
2WD Stock B-main: 1
2WD Stock C-main: 1
2WD Stock D-main: 3

F1 A-main: 1, 3, 4

LM C-main: 4
LM E-main: 2

GT Mod A-main: 2
GT Mod B-main: 3, 9
GT Mod D-main: 1, 2

I had the pleasure of winning 2WD Stock, and second in GT Mod. It was really tight in the end, and best lap time counted. Too bad I got in to big crash in A1 and my car broke. But this is racing! Congrats to Grant for win in GT Mod and also all the other racers who did well.

And big thank you David and Carlos for awesome hospitality and your efforts in arranging this race. You made us all feel more than welcome.

PNracing
2013.11.23, 11:23 PM
Many video from Russia Z club

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pnwc+world+cup+2013&sm=3

Racer-HH
2013.12.16, 02:38 AM
Another video with some slomo footage from Paris...

Paris Slow Motion Impressionen (http://youtu.be/YucWltqLH3Y)