PDA

View Full Version : Subaru BRZ Setup

herman
2013.03.10, 11:36 PM
opps... sorry for such large pics...
only thing i kinda don't like about the 86 is that you're stuck with the rims that come with the body... the rear W rims are -.7 offset...

as far as i know there is only another set of rims that are (-) offset... the skyline gtr r32... and unfortunately the front rims have a (+) offset, so i don't know if it will fit... another option would be probably to get a shorter ball diff shaft (i think being offered by atomic)...

TheSteve
2013.03.10, 11:58 PM
umm, maybe edit the post and resize the pictures.

Other then that the cars look great.

herman
2013.03.11, 05:37 AM
:o .... resized the pics to 50%... hope it's bearable, let me know if it is still too big... :D

Traveler
2013.03.11, 05:45 AM
Perfect! ;) Thanks for sharing...

arch2b
2013.03.11, 07:49 AM
love the ds3 :cool: picked up the white body myself.

hm, 94mm and very narrow... doesn't sound like a good combination for the brz. reminds me of the m3 in that regard which didn't do well on the track.

Traveler
2013.03.11, 04:20 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s480x480/578399_10151356591878845_2071022230_n.jpg
It actually drive able in Narrow 70T, not bad a all especially even with nice looking stock wheels!

Eddie, is there room for PN 94mm TDS in back?

optimaforever
2013.03.11, 07:01 PM
opps... sorry for such large pics...
only thing i kinda don't like about the 86 is that you're stuck with the rims that come with the body... the rear W rims are -.7 offset...
as far as i know there is only another set of rims that are (-) offset... the skyline gtr r32... and unfortunately the front rims have a (+) offset, so i don't know if it will fit... another option would be probably to get a shorter ball diff shaft (i think being offered by atomic)...
Route246 have -1W CE28N : ex. R246-1691 bronze R246-1692 silver
TEAM ATLAS has -1W dishwheel OP008-121 and -0.5W 8-spoke OP008-233
nonetheless I guess R246 will release compatible wheels for the 86
and the brz...

btw is there a longer ball diff shaft available anywhere? To get correct wheel offset on my autoscales I'm always struggling with genuine shafts (too much shims => diff shafts too shorts => must remove ball bearings to be able to use locknuts => asymmetry of the locknuts L-R

Traveler
2013.03.11, 08:47 PM
btw is there a longer ball diff shaft available anywhere? To get correct wheel offset on my autoscales I'm always struggling with genuine shafts (too much shims => diff shafts too shorts => must remove ball bearings to be able to use locknuts => asymmetry of the locknuts L-R

Are you talking about the ball diff in the rear of the 2wd chassis? There is an LM shaft which is longer than the standard shaft and an F1 shaft which is even longer. PN and Kyosho and I think Atomic make them.

optimaforever
2013.03.11, 08:53 PM
oh
I never thought of using a f1 diff shaft on a mr01/02/03...
let's see what we can see... :D

Traveler
2013.03.11, 08:59 PM
I'm having a hard time visualizing the problem. The offsets on the stock wheels should fit the MR01/015/02/03 bodies near perfectly with the standard length shaft. The only exception would be the LeMans bodies which require a longer shaft (and wider rear pod) to make the stock wheels fit properly. Of course the F1 is an entirely different animal. :)

herman
2013.03.11, 09:08 PM
love the ds3 :cool: picked up the white body myself.

hm, 94mm and very narrow... doesn't sound like a good combination for the brz. reminds me of the m3 in that regard which didn't do well on the track.

ds3 is m=90mm hm for mr03, brz is l=94mm rm for mr03, using wide rims rears with a -7 offset, sadly i don't think i will run them on a chassis anytime soon.

optimaforever
2013.03.11, 09:32 PM
I'm having a hard time visualizing the problem. The offsets on the stock wheels should fit the MR01/015/02/03 bodies near perfectly with the standard length shaft. The only exception would be the LeMans bodies which require a longer shaft (and wider rear pod) to make the stock wheels fit properly. Of course the F1 is an entirely different animal. :)

I've NEVER used official wheels offsets for my pics, for what it's worth :D
The offsets are ALWAYS too short for the tires to fit realistically under the fender arch. I compare the autoscale with real ones and try to get as close to the real thing as possible but there are often physical limitations...
So finding longer diff shafts would keep me from having to use LOTS of shim/washers all the time (the settings being of course different from car to car). Now my purpose is just to take pics, not run the cars, so I won't care if the tires touch the fenders :D

Traveler
2013.03.11, 09:40 PM
I've NEVER used official wheels offsets for my pics, for what it's worth :D
The offsets are ALWAYS too short for the tires to fit realistically under the fender arch. I compare the autoscale with real ones and try to get as close to the real thing as possible but there are often physical limitations...

Interesting...

So finding longer diff shafts would keep me from having to use LOTS of shim/washers all the time (the settings being of course different from car to car).

I can help with that. Should have spares of stock shafts that I replaced with Ti or light weight aluminum (for racing) along the way. Just PM me your needs. If I can't fill completelyl, I'm sure others will help out. Least we can do in return for the beautiful pictures you are supplying :cool:

Now my purpose is just to take pics, not run the cars, so I won't care if the tires touch the fenders :D

I was aware of that. :)

chad508
2013.03.11, 10:00 PM
If your just using the shaft for pics why not make one out of threaded rod? You could make it adjustable and easily reusable.

machgo5go
2013.03.12, 12:52 AM
Eddie, is there room for PN 94mm TDS in back?
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/BRZSmall_zps4332efa5.jpg?t=1363063067
It's late since I took picture so not so clear but you can see for yourself what's is working. PN 94 mm Carbon Pod with Standard Diff with Reflex Spurs.

herman
2013.03.12, 03:42 AM
are you using the standard length shaft? or a shorter shaft?
are they sticking out of the body? thanks for any info...

Traveler
2013.03.12, 08:10 AM
PN 94 mm Carbon Pod with Standard Diff with Reflex Spurs.

Thanks! Do you think there is room for a tri-damper system (TDS) between the mount and body or is it too tight?

herman
2013.03.12, 06:49 PM
hmm what happened to my post re: autoscale pricing? :(

arch2b
2013.03.12, 07:31 PM
HERE (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38941) :)

herman
2013.03.12, 11:23 PM
HERE (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38941) :)

thanks for the link :D

machgo5go
2013.03.13, 06:47 AM
are you using the standard length shaft? or a shorter shaft?
are they sticking out of the body? thanks for any info...
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/BRZSmall_zps76106019.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/BRZ2Small_zpsbdbb3b5b.jpg
You can see it is just standard length shaft diff. and -0.07 Rear wheels is just right under rear fender but keep in mind tires are 50% worn PN 6's since 70T does not need much grip in torque.
As for TDS, it will be a close one under ASC which I don't think necessary since such Narrow body.

Traveler
2013.03.13, 08:21 AM
I'm tempted to bust one out, especially since it arrived with the body off the dummy chassis. But my LHS doesn't run a narrow class, so there is really no point. But thanks for the info Eddie. I almost bought a BRZ last year when I was looking for a new car.

goflyingbear
2014.03.18, 07:13 PM
Front
I'm using the wide MR03 setting for the front of the car. I had to remove some plastic from the front wheel wells in order to allow the tires to clear. Wheel offset is zero.
-kyosho radial 30

Rear
- standard length ball diff
- zero offset wheels
- kyosho radial 20

With this setup, the BRZ body oversteers like crazy. Exiting a turn, I have to baby the throttle until the car is going straight. If I accelerate too quickly while the car is still exiting the turn, it will oversteer and spin out.

With the same tire/wheel setup and the Ferrari F360 body, the car handles perfectly fine. Things I plan to try to improve the oversteer on the BRZ:

- add 2 deg of toe-out on the front
- softer tires on the back
- tighten diff?

Any other ideas to reduce oversteer?

EMU
2014.03.19, 01:33 AM
Front
I'm using the wide MR03 setting for the front of the car. I had to remove some plastic from the front wheel wells in order to allow the tires to clear. Wheel offset is zero.
-kyosho radial 30

Rear
- standard length ball diff
- zero offset wheels
- kyosho radial 20

With this setup, the BRZ body oversteers like crazy. Exiting a turn, I have to baby the throttle until the car is going straight. If I accelerate too quickly while the car is still exiting the turn, it will oversteer and spin out.

With the same tire/wheel setup and the Ferrari F360 body, the car handles perfectly fine. Things I plan to try to improve the oversteer on the BRZ:

- add 2 deg of toe-out on the front
- softer tires on the back
- tighten diff?

Any other ideas to reduce oversteer?

Are your wheels hitting the body? If the chassis works fine with a different body, there may be some clearance issues.

If there are no clearance issues, you can try adding a little glue to the front tire sidewalls to remove some edge bite. Stiffen front spring/soften rear, add rear wing (light weight with downforce)...

A tighter differential will make the car spin out more on throttle, but be a little lazy entering the corner. A looser differential will make the car have more turn in off throttle, but less steering on throttle. You don't want to the diff to slip to the point that the motor/spur is spinning and the car isn't accelerating, there is a fine balance.

I personally rarely change my toe angle, so I would leave that be.

In general, it would be best to start a new thread about your specific problem, but link to the thread that has relevance (like this one) so that people can best answer your question.