PDA

View Full Version : Steering no longer responsive.

mongo
2013.03.23, 11:06 AM
I bought a few mini-z MR01s off of ebay 2 weeks ago.

This one car has run great until today, where the steering has suddenly disappeared.

This is what I know so far:

Accelerates and reverses perfectly.
Swapped crystals with it's neighbor, other car steers fine, no crystal or transmitter issue
Tried different locations in case of interference
When trying to steer, I hear a little sound like it is trying to steer.
Fiddled with steering throttle and trim to no effect.

So I figure it is time to open this all up. Luckily I have a working car, that I can swap and test out parts on. But I really have no clue what I am doing.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

KA2AEV
2013.03.23, 11:26 AM
Did the steering just up and stop or did you hit something and it stopped?
Take a peak inside the steering box and see if something is jamming
the gears or maybe the tie rod popped off of the steering knuckle

mongo
2013.03.23, 12:20 PM
I cracked the micro serving steering servo open.

And where the little white knob connects to the tie rod has snapped right off the gear.

1. What is that called ?

2. What do I replace ? The gear with the white thingy? The whole servo ?
Time for me to do more online hunting.....

cowboysir
2013.03.23, 12:31 PM
If you can find them you're likely looking to get the entire servo gear set if you broke the servo horn arm.

Good luck in your search. If they (the gears) are the same as MR02 gear set then some member here can help you source a set through the buy/sell area.

Edit: did some image searches and they do look similar. Anyone else know if they are the same? If so I've got replacements for mongo.

mongo
2013.03.23, 12:58 PM
servo horn arm:

Is that the name of the gear that will have a little white stick jutting out of the steering gear area going to the 2nd compartment ?

Wait a min., these are what I need !!!!!

http://www.kenonhobby.com/Kyosho-Mini-Z-MR02-Servo-Gears_p_44744.html

Is that a horn I am seeing in the above link ? Because that is what broke.

BTW, you are all awesome. I feel like I can tear these little guys apart without fear, knowing there is a community to help out when things go horribly wrong (not sure at this point how to put all the things back together when I fix this, future me will worry about that)

There are servo gears and then there are
PN Racing Mini-Z Delrin Servo Gear for 2$ more. Anyone have an idea if there is any value paying $2 more for a "delrin servo" ?

mleemor60
2013.03.23, 02:45 PM
servo horn arm:

Is that the name of the gear that will have a little white stick jutting out of the steering gear area going to the 2nd compartment ?

Wait a min., these are what I need !!!!!

http://www.kenonhobby.com/Kyosho-Mini-Z-MR02-Servo-Gears_p_44744.html

Is that a horn I am seeing in the above link ? Because that is what broke.

BTW, you are all awesome. I feel like I can tear these little guys apart without fear, knowing there is a community to help out when things go horribly wrong (not sure at this point how to put all the things back together when I fix this, future me will worry about that)

There are servo gears and then there are
PN Racing Mini-Z Delrin Servo Gear for 2$ more. Anyone have an idea if there is any value paying $2 more for a "delrin servo" ?

Make sure you are looking for something for the MR-01. Check with the local Hobby Shop. We have some 01 items still in inventory. Wade mught also have some as well and I think I might also.

imxlr8ed
2013.03.23, 02:47 PM
You may want to invest in an alloy first servo gear (the one with the "horn") or you will be replacing it once again in an MR01! The delrin set never really did much for me although back in the day you could buy a full alloy gear set for the MR01 and to me, it was worth the invesment.

Nowadays it may make more sense to just get an MR02 with the servo saver built in. Problem solved then for sure! :D

mongo
2013.03.23, 09:39 PM
Make sure you are looking for something for the MR-01. Check with the local Hobby Shop. We have some 01 items still in inventory. Wade might also have some as well and I think I might also.

Yeah, I plan on popping by there on Wednesday 1st. If not there, then I will go order online. Gotta support the LHS.

herman
2013.03.23, 09:59 PM
totally agree with everybody here… another thing, never run the chassis without the body… a slight tap on any object will break the servo gear… try to invest in a first metal servo gear (there are 3 actually - and the first gear, the only one with the stub or white stick as you put it, is the one you need - it directly drives the tie rod so any hard hit to the wheels will cause the stub to snap off)… they might be hard to come by these days since Kyosho integrated servo savers into the newer models… if you can't find any metal gears, you can stock up on the plastic servo gears that Kyosho offers, unless i'm mistaken, i'm sure that mr01/015/02 servo gears are compatible…

since you have a mr01, you might consider getting a second hand mr015 since this has the same specs as the mr01 (with the servo on the mr015 being the only major difference) , and most mr01 bodies will fit on the mr015… i figure it might be cheaper since most guys race the mr02… mr02 chassis has a wider track width than the mr01 (mr01 & mr015 have the same track width) so putting a mr02 body on a mr01/015 may cause the front wheels to stick out of the fenders... unless you use rims with the appropriate offset... hope this helps… oh welcome to the forums :D

ps. are you pinoy?

optimaforever
2013.03.24, 04:19 AM
I remember when I ran MR01 everybody else was unhappy with the lack of servo saver and ended buying stock piles of kyosho parts, but under a corvette or a supra the problem was rare, because the front tread was big enough to protect the front tire from hitting the walls.

mongo
2013.03.24, 07:17 AM
totally agree with everybody here… another thing, never run the chassis without the body… a slight tap on any object will break the servo gear… try to invest in a first metal servo gear (there are 3 actually - and the first gear, the only one with the stub or white stick as you put it, is the one you need - it directly drives the tie rod so any hard hit to the wheels will cause the stub to snap off)… they might be hard to come by these days since Kyosho integrated servo savers into the newer models… if you can't find any metal gears, you can stock up on the plastic servo gears that Kyosho offers, unless i'm mistaken, i'm sure that mr01/015/02 servo gears are compatible…

since you have a mr01, you might consider getting a second hand mr015 since this has the same specs as the mr01 (with the servo on the mr015 being the only major difference) , and most mr01 bodies will fit on the mr015… i figure it might be cheaper since most guys race the mr02… mr02 chassis has a wider track width than the mr01 (mr01 & mr015 have the same track width) so putting a mr02 body on a mr01/015 may cause the front wheels to stick out of the fenders... unless you use rims with the appropriate offset... hope this helps… oh welcome to the forums :D

ps. are you pinoy?

Wow, you nailed it, I did run the chassis without a body, prior to this happening. The white clip on the body had come undone, so I removed the body and ran the car for a bit. Never thought of the importance the body has as a bumper and shock absorber.

Not Pinoy.

arch2b
2013.03.24, 09:30 AM
it's everything for the MR-01. n this issue is specific to the MR-01, however it's not recommended to run any chassis without the body. even the servo-saver has it's limits :p

herman
2013.03.26, 01:58 PM
were you able to find a metal 1st gear? try placing a WTB ad, you might get lucky... If not go Kyosho... apologies for assuming you are pinoy... it's just that mongo is a type of food over here… :D

KA2AEV
2013.03.26, 04:09 PM
Mongo is also a character in a very funny Mel Brooks Movie called Blazing Saddles
Try and see it if you can, you'll laugh your butt off

herman
2013.03.26, 09:16 PM
kinda remember seeing that a long time ago, will try watching it again, if i can find it… thanks for the info :D