PDA

View Full Version : Caught the Bug

VittorioS
2013.05.04, 04:08 PM
A few years ago my cousin mentioned Mini-Z's to me as something I should try out. I was 14 then and well, money was a problem. Now I'm 19 and am able to fund myself for a hobby; I just needed an excuses to buy one then. A couple months ago my friend bought one from our LHS (Skyhunter Hobby) and informed me of the track and many options for the Mini-Z, next thing I know, I bought a MR-02EX Ready set and a few upgrades.

Here's how it looks now.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/btoryo/IMG_1873_zps0ab8e6b8.jpg
As you can see it has a narrow front end from PN and an atomic rear, it's not much but it's good for letting my friends borrow a car. A car you say?

Yeah, I bought a second MR-02... This car has the PN Double A-Arm and PN Multi-mount, it is my race car.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/btoryo/IMG_1872_zpsc2c0ae13.jpg

But it didn't stop there.

I found out that Kenon Hobby was located in the same state, next thing I know I drive for an hour and found myself in a store with a vast amount of anything I can think of. I was so overwhelmed that I didn't even recognize Grant or Phillip (I've been lurking forums for a while). Anyways, I ended up buying a body, the McLaren LM GT and well, it was the start of collecting ASCs.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/btoryo/IMG_1874_zps2cb146f2.jpg

Long story short, Mini-Z's brought back the interest I had in hobbies. It had the same "fire" I got from racing Tamiya Mini 4WD's back home in the Philippines. I never found anything comparable until now. I hope one day I'll be able to race in the big leagues. I'm still .1 to .4 slower than the people I race with so I have plenty to improve upon. Maybe then I'll make my next big purchase, a proper controller, my KT-18 makes me feel so little when I see others with their EX-10s, anyways cheers and happy racing.

-V

herman
2013.05.04, 09:29 PM
welcome to the forums kabayan! :D
i was very fortunate and lucky to meet grant and philip when i went over to visit last year. with the limited time i had, it was a great place to unwind and hang out... :D
click on the link in my sig "i've been kennonized" etc. to read up on my mini-z exploits...

VittorioS
2013.05.05, 11:47 PM
welcome to the forums kabayan! :D
i was very fortunate and lucky to meet grant and philip when i went over to visit last year. with the limited time i had, it was a great place to unwind and hang out... :D
click on the link in my sig "i've been kennonized" etc. to read up on my mini-z exploits...

Hello!

I actually read your posts on Kenon before I went myself and let me tell you, as soon as I read and saw the pictures I had the itch to head over ASAP! I had to control myself from sliding my card, the amount of items was overwhelming!

How is the Mini-Z scene in the Philippines? I heard the Tamiya Mini 4WDs are still going strong. I was thinking of sending a Mini-Z or a Firelap to my relatives over there.

Hope all is well!

-V

herman
2013.05.07, 06:45 AM
hi v... all is indeed well... unfortunately though i wish i could say the same for the mini-z scene over here.... it's really small... and sadly close to er... non-existent...

i am glad though that you have read my kenon article... usually when i have the chance to travel abroad, i try to find out how mini-z is doing in other parts of the world, and write an article about my experience... my last z experience was in singapore "atomic collective" where i met a couple of cool guys... here's the link (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38727&highlight=atomic+collective) have you read up on my other exploits? japan, r/c heaven? i hope you can read them if you got the time... just click it on my signature...

just been to nagoya and kyoto... had no time for mini-z... but was able to accidentally drop by 2 hobby shops... unfortunately they were big on heli's... and small on mini-z's... both of shops had the mini moto... but only one shop had ONE mr02 am (that was it)...

as for tamiya's mini 4wd... i don't know... not much of a follower actually... but if you're familiar with lil's... they still sell them and stock some parts as well... but i don't know where they hold races... if you do send a mini-z or firelap to any of your relatives, tell them to hunt me down.... i would be more than happy to run my z with them... so long as they're in manila.... :D

oh yeah... when you do go back to kennon... can you do me a big favor and please say hi to grant and philip for me? (don't be shy they're great guys to talk to)... then tell them that you heard about kennon through my article? i'm pretty sure that they both would be tickled to death... and i didn't even know you were pinoy... lol

best regards kabayan... :D

VittorioS
2013.05.14, 03:16 AM
hi v... all is indeed well... unfortunately though i wish i could say the same for the mini-z scene over here.... it's really small... and sadly close to er... non-existent...

i am glad though that you have read my kenon article... usually when i have the chance to travel abroad, i try to find out how mini-z is doing in other parts of the world, and write an article about my experience... my last z experience was in singapore "atomic collective" where i met a couple of cool guys... here's the link (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38727&highlight=atomic+collective) have you read up on my other exploits? japan, r/c heaven? i hope you can read them if you got the time... just click it on my signature...

just been to nagoya and kyoto... had no time for mini-z... but was able to accidentally drop by 2 hobby shops... unfortunately they were big on heli's... and small on mini-z's... both of shops had the mini moto... but only one shop had ONE mr02 am (that was it)...

as for tamiya's mini 4wd... i don't know... not much of a follower actually... but if you're familiar with lil's... they still sell them and stock some parts as well... but i don't know where they hold races... if you do send a mini-z or firelap to any of your relatives, tell them to hunt me down.... i would be more than happy to run my z with them... so long as they're in manila.... :D

oh yeah... when you do go back to kennon... can you do me a big favor and please say hi to grant and philip for me? (don't be shy they're great guys to talk to)... then tell them that you heard about kennon through my article? i'm pretty sure that they both would be tickled to death... and i didn't even know you were pinoy... lol

best regards kabayan... :D

Hi,

I read all your articles and I just want to say that I am very jealous. Hopefully one day I'll be able to travel and see many many places and their Z's :p

VittorioS
2013.05.14, 03:20 AM
Hello all,

I'm still into Mini-Z's. Aside from collecting ASC's and racing, I found a passion to paint bodies.

This is my newly painted Supra ... inspired by the mid-90s Castrol Supra. Although, I have made changes to it to suit my liking. Graphics were done by me on PS, and took a lot of trial and error until I got the size just right.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/btoryo/photo_zpsf33f6929.jpg

arch2b
2013.05.14, 07:20 AM
the rising cost of autoscales ended my passion for collecting autoscales. i actually got rid of 90% of my collection. my passion now is painting white bodies as well. i don't get into decals however. not that i haven't wanted to, just don't have the time or materials.

nice job on the supra. :cool:

VittorioS
2013.05.14, 01:44 PM
the rising cost of autoscales ended my passion for collecting autoscales. i actually got rid of 90% of my collection. my passion now is painting white bodies as well. i don't get into decals however. not that i haven't wanted to, just don't have the time or materials.

nice job on the supra. :cool:

Thanks!

I feel the same way, it seems that the only ASCs I get are the ones that I keep looking at over and over and over and over again :p

White bodies are now the majority of my collection. I think there is more satisfaction when creating something yourself, even if there are imperfections. Also, the fact that I don't have to worry about breaking or ruining a nice body makes racing so much easier :p

Geo-Z
2013.05.25, 10:28 PM
Vittorios that Castrol Supra is a work of art. I love supras! Do your custom decals come off if you apply clearcoat to it? Cheers.

herman
2013.05.28, 03:14 AM
Hi,

I read all your articles and I just want to say that I am very jealous. Hopefully one day I'll be able to travel and see many many places and their Z's :p

wow... thanks for reading my articles... i just feel lucky and blessed to have visited all those cool places... and have met all those interesting people...

i wish other hobbyists with the same passion to experience the same things that i have gone through, which is why i write the articles... some are fortunate enough to go through the same experience...

and for some it's a "maybe someday" kind of thing...

and to those thinking "maybe someday", it is my hope and wish that your "maybe someday" comes someday sooner than you think.... :D

herman
2013.05.28, 03:16 AM
oh good job on the decal work by the way.... :D