PDA

View Full Version : The VBTE series!

cowboysir
2013.05.09, 11:44 PM
hey guys,

Like i mentioned at the last GTG Ryan, Dave and I have been discussing a Big Track Event. Ryan has convinced me to bring all my track down and has organized a hall space that can fit both of our tracks together. we will be looking at a rough total of 40ft by 60ft RCP layout.

Ryan can post the layout for you guys.

For this race (and depending on turnout a possible 2 more BTE in Vancouver?!) I'd like to talk about a points series and catagories.

Instead of our previous discussions about GT1,2 and 3 (which didnt seem to gain much interest) I think we can talk about a simpler method...almost a "run what you brung" (like we normally do) but with limitations.

1. Stock GT: open chassis with 70 turn motor (PN is the most consistent from motor to motor) and no fet upgrades...other than that it's free to work with!

2. Mod GT: open motor/fet/chassis as long as we stay with a GT style body (no Pan Car shells)

3. F1: open (of course) but F1 will be a separate championship since not everyone has a chassis.

Schedule will be hashed out soon enough but with only three-ish catagories i think we can run pleanty of heats to get A and B mains (since we are a smallish club after all) in GT classes.

I've been given some good ideas for doing the points a bit differently from our previous design so we can implement a 3 event count if we wind up with a good response/turnout for the first one.

stay tuned......:D

gctkaz
2013.05.10, 12:26 AM
What about tires? I've finally migrated all my cars to Kyosho tires.

cowboysir
2013.05.10, 09:23 AM
I'd say that stock will be rubber and mod can be open.

:D

Ryan can you edit the thread title? I meant VBTE....(duh)

RFick73
2013.05.12, 12:11 PM
I'd say that stock will be rubber and mod can be open.

:D

Doah! I thought I saw an opening there for Stock w/ Foams! :(

It's okay, last parts run I purchased a couple rubber tires, & there's enough to buy from others for the day if needed I'm sure..

Ryan can you edit the thread title? I meant VBTE....(duh)

Done

RFick73
2013.05.12, 02:39 PM
Come One, Come All!

The BC Mini-Z Club has reserved the use of the New Westminster Free Masons lower hall on Sunday, June the 23rd!
(It's the weekend right after Father's Day)

The room is just under 40'x60' & only cost us a measly $180 to rent it for the day.

So, what's the cost to you you ask?
$5 Bux if you come to help setup or breakdown, or $10 if ya don't! (Plus an additional $5 for pizza)
I am asking that we have at least 2 additional confirmed helpers for both setup & breakdown as the layout is massive & will take additional time to
setup & breakdown.
These two lucky people will run & eat for free!!!
(Please contact me ASAP!)

The room will be ready for setup @ 9am & we can start breaking down @ 5pm.

The address to the hall is: 508 Agnes St, New Westminster, BC

The entrance to the room we are renting in the building is along the back road (Victoria Street)
There is a parking lot immediately beside the building that we can make use of.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac132/RFick73/RC_Stuffs/RCP%20Track%20Layouts/Misc_GTGs_Etc/FreeMasonsHall1_zps7653d8b6.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac132/RFick73/RC_Stuffs/RCP%20Track%20Layouts/Misc_GTGs_Etc/FreeMasonsHall2_zpsd3433ef0.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac132/RFick73/RC_Stuffs/RCP%20Track%20Layouts/Misc_GTGs_Etc/FreeMasonsHall3_zps9f04d3c0.jpg

The final setup logistics will be worked out on the day of, but basically I foresee us setting up our tables along the bottom portion of the track &
the drivers will stand in font of the tables or along the left hand side of the track.

There will be plenty of tables & chairs available, but please bring extension cables & power bars with you!

Now, what kind of layout will be had?
Well, I'm glad you asked!!!

I painstakingly designed up a layout using the Clubs track & the track that Derek (Cowboy) will be graciously bringing with him from Whistler.
After approx. 8 hours, this my friends, is what I have come up with!

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac132/RFick73/RC_Stuffs/RCP%20Track%20Layouts/c82ec808-1ce2-4be2-b763-cd2969da0e24_zps975082f8.jpg

There is nearly 40' of unadulterated straightaway!!!
Heck, we may tweak it once we get the room situated and make it even MORE epic!

As you can see below, I have gotten quite close to the track count for pieces.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac132/RFick73/RC_Stuffs/RCP%20Track%20Layouts/Misc_GTGs_Etc/2013-06-23TrackCount_zps12345efe.jpg

There will inevitably be last minute track tweaks but we are going to get as close to what you see as we can.

I hope to see y'all there!!! :o

gctkaz
2013.05.12, 06:22 PM
Mother of God...!

If I am not out of town that weekend, you can count me in for setup and teardown. Since I'm flaky though, I might not be right on time for the former...

I will have a better idea of my availability closer to the date.

Are there kitchen facilities in the hall? Maybe I can bring some munchies for everyone.

RFick73
2013.05.12, 11:28 PM
Yes, full rather large kitchen area & all it glorious bit & pieces are at our disposal.

RFick73
2013.05.13, 12:27 PM
The setup utilizes over 750 individual tiles!

This layout should be awesome!

I want record turn outs!
If you know of any old school Mini-Z'ers & they have cars collecting dust, get um on out & hooked on the hobby again!

The layout definitely isn't for the weak of heart or the inexperienced novices that's for sure...

I hope to see y'all out at the club's first VBTE!
Sponsored by you, our members!!!

gctkaz
2013.05.13, 03:13 PM
Does anybody have a large camera tripod that we can use to get some video footage?

Would be cool to have it set up earlier so we can get some time-lapse of the track construction too.

cowboysir
2013.05.13, 05:08 PM
I was thinking of my buddy's gopro and a suction cup mount. Ill try and work it out.

Lets be sure that invites for this event have mini z experience. Not everyone who has RC experience has the chops for driving these little F-ers.

flathead51
2013.05.14, 01:06 AM
Hey guys, I've been lurking around for the past few years and finally got a few mini-z's. I'm big into filming and I'm going to try my hardest to come out and film this. I'll wait till nobody is on the track before I ping pong my car around this massive track.:eek:

cowboysir
2013.05.14, 10:37 AM
You should start coming out for our regular get together meet flathead...in no time at all you'll feel confident focusing on race line and set up and you'll want to enter the BTE!

As a sidenote, this being a very big track covering plenty of surface racers are encouraged to bring some sort of stool, bench or crate to give yourself a "drivers stand". From experience (my home track events) it really does make a difference.

flathead51
2013.05.14, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I've been wanting to come out to the meets. Its a bit hard to do what I want these days with my 2 year old Daughter. I've been to the track at Aberdeen once and got a taste of running on a track. Its the perfect size there for me.

RFick73
2013.06.09, 11:19 PM
The Official link for the Sunday, June 23rd VBTE in New Westminster can be found >>HERE (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=445764&postcount=11)<<

cowboysir
2013.06.12, 09:26 PM
I've now gotten an idea of how epic the task of preparing the one-off body for this event:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/CowboySiR/dstation_zpsb06521be.png

I'm semi contemplating doing this as a draw prize instead of a giveaway. I want everyone to view the possibility of this awesome one of kind body as a great bonus for showing up but as it stands i've tallied up $50ish in expenses (not including any time doing it because thats my fun as well)

Think that'd go over as a plan? Call it $5 a person for those who might want to enter up to $50 for my expenses and the rest to the club (if any extra)?

cool or not cool?

gctkaz
2013.06.13, 01:09 AM
Hooooooooo-leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Count my $5 in the pot if the idea flies with the rest of the guys. Doesn't matter to me who gets it. I'm in for a day of fun and if someone walks away with a sweet present and Derek isn't too much out of pocket I think it's all good.

DaveW
2013.06.13, 02:00 AM
cool or not cool?

I Vote for COOL.

I'm in.

That'll be one sweet body.

RFick73
2013.06.13, 11:06 AM
Sounds good to me! :)

That thing is gunna look killer!

cowboysir
2013.06.15, 05:34 PM
Things are not working as I expected on the D Station GTR...the decal size is ever so slightly not to scale so I'm winding up with small gaps.

I may not be satisfied the end result...we'll see what i come up with as a n finished product and decide whether or not to use it as the draw.

RFick73
2013.06.15, 09:27 PM
Sorry to hear that it's not going as easily as planned/hoped.

Just take your time on it, if its not ready or up to your standards, don't worry about it.

There's always another GTG or just keep it for your fleet! :)

cowboysir
2013.06.16, 01:43 AM
I'm pretty much pissed at the way its going so i'm looking for a different set to finish it in. Sucks becasue it had so much potential to be a spectacular body but when the width is off my 1.5mm or so the green doesn't connect and you're left with glaring gaps of white and it looks stupid.

I've got a couple in mind...hopefully by Tuesday I'll narrow down my choice.

TheSteve
2013.06.16, 02:16 AM
I think we've all had a project go into the crapper, so don't stress over it too much.

cowboysir
2013.06.16, 11:17 AM
It's more annoying than stressful...

Looking over my choices from my various decal places doesn't fill me with much hope. I'm looking at full body wrap styles or sets that aren't specific to the superGT body style (which means fitment problems as well)

Onto more searching...

As for the VBTE, I'm really looking forward to a HUGE track. I've sorted out my motor issues and think I've got some good gearing in. Even my 70 turn car should have some good top end!

DaveW
2013.06.17, 01:44 AM
You'll get the decal thing figured. Based upon your prior creations I can't wait to see the finished product!

Glad to hear about the motor issues as well. I want everyone to be able to throw down some great laps on this MASSIVE layout.

I've also made some setup changes to go from the 20' x 20' we usually run to this monster Ryan has created. I'm hoping to give you guys a "run for your money" so to speak.

cowboysir
2013.06.17, 04:47 PM
I've also made some setup changes to go from the 20' x 20' we usually run to this monster Ryan has created. I'm hoping to give you guys a "run for your money" so to speak.

And the sandbagging starts in earnest! Top three finisher in every event and he says he "hopes to give..."

How droll!?! Seriously Dave...you crack me up.

TheSteve
2013.06.17, 05:09 PM
And the sandbagging starts in earnest! Top three finisher in every event and he says he "hopes to give..."

take his foam away...

DaveW
2013.06.18, 01:01 AM

Sandbagging? what the heck!!!
Now you've hurt my feelings :(

So I rebuild the Lambo! :D See it Sunday! (Plus the Porsche of course)

PS: K20's and K30's work good there too!
Just been in a foam kinda mood lately. :cool:

cowboysir
2013.06.18, 09:23 AM
As a word of warning you'll find my track (which will be 3/4 of the layout) has much higher grip levels since it sees less traffic. I've had a few opportunities to run my foams and they are way too grippy. Your Kyosho wheelsets will be ample grip.

Do you guys have a firm commitment from 6+ guys (I'm in of course) for setup? With this much track it'll be an epic set without a big group....

RFick73
2013.06.18, 01:27 PM
Do you guys have a firm commitment from 6+ guys (I'm in of course) for setup? With this much track it'll be an epic set without a big group....

We currently have 6 confirmed for setup & hopefully just as many if not more for take down.

5 more days!!!

DaveW
2013.06.19, 12:54 AM
As a word of warning you'll find my track (which will be 3/4 of the layout) has much higher grip levels since it sees less traffic. I've had a few opportunities to run my foams and they are way too grippy. Your Kyosho wheelsets will be ample grip.

I'll be bringing a fine selection of sneakers for the cars to wear. Foams and K20-40 should suffice. It's indoor and doesn't look like its gonna be smokin' hot. There are some west facing windows so that could add a track temp variable if the sun makes an appearance in the afternoon.

gctkaz
2013.06.22, 04:35 PM
Hey guys, I'm heading out to Costco just to pick up some typical sausage party-type snacks.

I was out a bit earlier today and it looks like things are getting set up for some kind of long distance running event in my neighbourhood. There's a good chance I may be severely detoured on my way out tomorrow morning, but I will leave earlier and hopefully still make it to the location on time.

cowboysir
2013.06.22, 05:08 PM
1. every single piece of track vacuumed...check
2. truck loaded, wrapped in tarp and weighted by plywood....check
3. personal sh...stuff organized for event....check

Tomorrow is going to be a llloooooonnngggggg day for me (my day starts at 6am) so you Vancouver guys better come out and show me its a worthy event to pull off. I'll wind up getting all "Soup Nazi" if this doen't turn out...:D

TheSteve
2013.06.23, 05:33 AM
Hope you guys have a great time tomorrow! I'm in the middle of my 24 hour radio marathon so I won't be able to make it.

DaveW
2013.06.24, 01:58 AM
Tomorrow is going to be a llloooooonnngggggg day for me (my day starts at 6am) so you Vancouver guys better come out and show me its a worthy event to pull off. I'll wind up getting all "Soup Nazi" if this doen't turn out...:D

Thanks everyone - I had a blast today - what a venue.

First of all, I'd like to thank Rfick for organizing this GTG as-well-as cowboysir for bringing the truckload of track down from Whistler. Both of you made todays event possible. Great job guys.

Also thanks to everyone who came out and partitcipated to help made this day a success. From setting up/tearing down to just plain being on the track so I can cause confusion and turmoil, it's always great to have a good core group of people who come out on a regular basis and support the club.

Also, with this decent turnout, we avoided watching cowboy go "Soup Nazi". Though that could have been pretty entertaining, I guess it's just better this way. :D

Marty has graciously offered his clubhouse for our next GTG which will be July 7th.
Please mark your calendars.
Official notifications at a later date.

PS: Looks like I'm gonna get a kick at designing the track layout this time! :eek: hee hee

gctkaz
2013.06.24, 03:16 AM
Big thanks to Ryan for organizing and to Derek for trucking down his track so early in the morning. I hope you had some time to take a nap in the evening!

It was a fun day but man those cars became hard to see. I definitely feel more comfortable on a smaller track but it's good to expand our experience as drivers.

It looks like the cookies were more enjoyed than the chips, maybe I can do that again since they aren't that expensive per piece. I really spoiled my dinner today :p

RFick73
2013.06.24, 09:43 AM
I'd also like to thank Derek (CowboySiR), Dave W. & everyone that showed up & ran yesterday.

Heck, I'll thank those that didn't too just to make ya feel special! :cool:

I think it was an excellent event.

That track really was something I have wanted to do for a while.
A nice long course with some tight & twisty & some nice & flowy parts.

Now that it's out of my system, I think if we did that venue again, I'd design a track that was closer to -15 seconds.

I think I would just have Derek bring a fraction of his track next time, so he can bring his car rather that having to put the mileage on his truck.

Again, thank you to everyone that came & helped make it an awesome day!

& here's what ya missed if you weren't able to make it out.
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac132/RFick73/RC_Stuffs/RCP%20Track%20Layouts/2013-06-23-01_zps6abbade5.jpg (http://s893.photobucket.com/user/RFick73/media/RC_Stuffs/RCP%20Track%20Layouts/2013-06-23-01_zps6abbade5.jpg.html)

Track times & race results to be posted on the website soon!

cowboysir
2013.06.24, 01:42 PM
I'd have to agree w you about the track size...it just was a bit overwhelming to drive all of it and stay motivated to race 10+min heats. My attention span did not not stay focused...

That and my day was a total of 13 hours of travel, racing and unpacking of track...6:30 start to 7:30 finish unpacking. Tough effort to say the least.

I'm still down with bring part of my track...

DaveW
2013.06.25, 01:37 AM
Now that it's out of my system, I think if we did that venue again, I'd design a track that was closer to -15 seconds.

I think I would just have Derek bring a fraction of his track next time, so he can bring his car rather that having to put the mileage on his truck.

I also agree about staying focused. By the end of the day I was "out of gas" so to speak.

I like the big track but I think we need to keep it all relative. IE: big layout = big speed. Smaller venue (layout) more technical.
I think Rficks got the right idea to aim for a 15-20 sec average lap for the big venue. Not much more than our usual.

The fastest lap was around 20.5 for this one (and I`m guessing average would be 25-30). A fair bit more than we`re used to. :D

It was a blast and the bugs will get worked out as we gain more VBTE experience!

We`ll get it nailed. It`s all fun!

I know it was a long day Derek so thank you again for your HUGE contribution, making this event possible.

RFick73
2014.09.18, 10:35 AM
The BC Mini-Z Club has reserved the use of the New Westminster Free Masons upper hall on Sunday, Oct. 5th!

This may be the last GTG in this hall for another year or so as they are planning on demo'ing the building in a few months.

The floor of the room measures 47'x32', it is a fairly close size to the downstairs room.
This room is carpeted, so we may end up having to shift the track back into form time to time, but all the edges of the room are elevated!
One 40' wall edge is raised by three small steps, the other 3 walls all have a one step raise. ( I believe Dave can post some pics he took )

So, what's the cost to you you ask?
$10 Bux if you come to help setup & breakdown, or $15 if ya don't! (Plus an additional $5 for pizza)
I am asking that we have at least 2 additional confirmed helpers for both setup & breakdown as the layout is massive & will take additional time to
setup & breakdown. Please contact myself or Dave via PM to let us know if your able to help out.

The room will be ready for setup @ 8am & we will start breaking down @ around 5pm.

The address to the hall is: 508 Agnes St, New Westminster, BC

The entrance to the room we are renting in the building this time is along along the front road (Agnes Street)
We will post signs inside to point you in the right direction to the room.
There is a parking lot immediately beside the building that we can make use of which can be accessed via Victoria. Park, come up the stair case, turn to your left & enter the front of the building.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac132/RFick73/RC_Stuffs/RCP%20Track%20Layouts/Misc_GTGs_Etc/FreeMasonsHall1_zps7653d8b6.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac132/RFick73/RC_Stuffs/RCP%20Track%20Layouts/Misc_GTGs_Etc/FreeMasonsHall2_zpsd3433ef0.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac132/RFick73/RC_Stuffs/RCP%20Track%20Layouts/Misc_GTGs_Etc/FreeMasonsHall3_zps9f04d3c0.jpg

The final setup logistics will be worked out on the day of, but basically I foresee us setting up our tables along one side of the track &
the drivers will stand on the opposite side on the elevated section.

There will be a small room off to the side, please keep all food & beverages in this room as the Mason's would prefer to keep food off their carpet.

There will be plenty of tables & chairs available, but please bring extension cables & power bars with you!

Dave will be drafting up a track that uses as much of our 30cm & 50cm as we can & there is a chance that we may add some loaner 50cm to the mix as well, we"ll see how the layout goes. :D

I hope to see y'all out @ the track!!! :o
(& yes, I'll be booking the day off so I will be able to attend) :eek: