PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the AWD's gone?

mleemor60
2013.07.07, 03:08 PM
Is anybody anywhere doing anything with the AWD cars? Anybody have an active racing class for them?

It doesn't seem like all that long ago that you had to have one to go really fast. Especially on carpet.

arch2b
2013.07.07, 04:27 PM
they have all the quirks of f1 and twice+ running cost of 2wd. if it were not for those factors, i would still have one today. on my part, i strive for least stress solution as this is my hobby for enjoyment, not frustration. i couldn't bring myself to sell my f1 so i still have that and hoping to get that back on the track at some point. i'm sure they will swing back around again. f1 tends to be cyclical in popularity. kyosho could throw us a bone and actually put out some thing other than the same 2 cars though:rolleyes: it's hard to build on a platform that has such fervent fan base with only the mclaren and ferrari available.

we still see awd on our tracks though. there are some die hards that push on no matter what. god bless them, thats some dedication.

lfisminiz
2013.07.07, 06:05 PM
Mike, still have mine. I get in the mood to tweek on it. I ran it at Eds the other month and it ran very well in our 70T class.

chad508
2013.07.07, 06:16 PM
Last time I looked they have been out of stock. At least the newer version

TheSteve
2013.07.08, 12:23 AM
I have two of them and love them both. They are both MA015 DWS units, one with an Audi R8, the other with a Citroen DS3. Both are a blast to drive, my R8 car has the Kyosho brushless package which ensures overheating is never a problem and it has plenty of power. Finding the right setup can be tough, on some tracks my AWD is faster then the MR03s, other tracks my MR03 is faster.

imxlr8ed
2013.07.08, 09:17 AM
With carpet getting a bit more attention in this scale, I am surprised that no club has a drift class set up for themselves. Drifting on RCP is a tough deal but on carpet, it is much easier. Seen all kinds of vids from other countries but not so many from the States over the years.

NoBrainer
2013.07.09, 12:28 PM
I have two of them and love them both. They are both MA015 DWS units, one with an Audi R8, the other with a Citroen DS3. Both are a blast to drive, my R8 car has the Kyosho brushless package which ensures overheating is never a problem and it has plenty of power. Finding the right setup can be tough, on some tracks my AWD is faster then the MR03s, other tracks my MR03 is faster.

I would guess that on those tracks with low traction, the awd is faster. But on high traction tracks, mr03 is faster. Or am I wrong?

I just think that the awd costs me more to get ready for racing than a mr03. But I might be unlucky.

TheSteve
2013.07.09, 03:10 PM
I find the AWD tends to be quicker on smaller tracks with many turns and when there are various high and low speed sections. The biggest limitation to the AWD car is a bumpy track, the front end really wants to pull the car to the right or left when it hits the bumps. I also also prefer clockwise running tracks as mine both traction roll easier on left hand turns then right hand turns(batteries are heavy). I have the bump issue mostly solved at this point though, the "hard" buggy gear diff works extremely well in the front of the AWD, use a ball diff in the back(again the buggy one because its cheap)

Also, if you're driving with a crowd of people who aren't all pro drivers the AWD can offer an advantage in that it tends to be more stable when pushing people out of the way or when pushed from behind. I don't think any of us try pushing people out of the way on purpose(well sometimes) but when a less skilled driver is weaving back and forth at a much slower speed passing isn't always easy, especially on mini96 track.

Anyway, I can't imagine not having an AWD in my stable. I have two mr03s and two awds but they all have a purpose and suit a track style or size. Or sometimes I just want to drive a fun car more then a fast car, such as my awd Citroen(narrow, 90mm).