PDA

View Full Version : MR-03VE 50th Anniversary edition insane price!

kyoshosan
2013.07.31, 12:02 PM
Kyosho America MSRP for the MR-03VE 50th Anniversary edition is $459.99! selling on their site fro $419.99!

MR-03VE 50th Anniversary edition (http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/32761B-MINI-Z-Racer-MR-03VE-50th-Anniversary-edition_p_22697.html)

I know we can find at most stores the same kit for around $300, but to me this is all insane! :)

I'm yet to see how much the new MR-03 + KT-18 will hit the streets but I guess it will cost over $200 when added an autoscale body.

If they are trying to kill the Mini-Z, they are doing a hell of a good job :D

arch2b
2013.07.31, 12:32 PM
i believe the set is $289 here but yes, i agree that the steady march upward of the base line pricing across the board is having a negative affect on overall sales. the current pricing of autsocales has nearly killed autoscale sales. putting a ready set at close to $300 is absurd. the hobby grade quality speech ceases to be effective past $200, at $300 you just get laughed at. seriously, people at the LHS just laugh or chuckle.

not sure there is anything we can realistically do about it either. Kyosho JPN doesn't really see the US market as anything special and Kyosho USA pays/sells what the home branch tells them. who knows, maybe they are really don't care and see it as just a niche market that they don't really care about anyway? maybe we have an over inflated sense of self importance as a scale and they just like sticking it to us and watching us squirm? :mad:

TheSteve
2013.07.31, 01:24 PM
The way I see it is that there are simply to many levels involved in the distribution of the product. Kyosho Mini-Z products are almost affordable in Japan, but it seems only in Japan. Kyosho USA imports products(at a pretty good price) but they must mark it up, then a distributor adds some markup and then finally a hobby store adds some markup. All of this requires shipping which really adds to the expense. I don't blame anyone for trying to make a profit, they wouldn't exist if they didn't. The whole process really inflates the price. I get all of my stuff directly out of Japan, its still cheaper then the price I would pay through the local distributor.

To me its a real shame that so much of the Mini-Z product line is now made in China(and the quality has suffered no doubt) but the pricing remained the same, or went up.

arch2b
2013.07.31, 04:01 PM
Kyosho USA is the north american distributor. they replaced great planes which screwed the LHS market. LHS owners at the time HATED ordering kyosho via great planes and was a contributing factor to so few of them actually carrying mini-z at all which of course fed into the limited reach of mini-z that was never really marketed, advertised well within the US. Mini-z still isn't marketed, advertised well in my opinion.

TheSteve
2013.07.31, 04:43 PM
I have never tried ordering from Kyosho direct, we have a Kyosho distributor in Canada I have always used. I don't think I've ever bought enough that Kyosho would want to talk to me. Its never for resale anyway, just for me and my friends and the odd product for our shop.

Anyway, the 50th I do have is the best freaking MiniZ I have ever owned, just had a great feel out of the box with an added damper and carbon tplate. Same with my friends, so maybe they are worth the insane price as they seem to have a little magic in'em.

Daddy Rabbit
2013.07.31, 07:16 PM
i believe the set is $289 here but yes, i agree that the steady march upward of the base line pricing across the board is having a negative affect on overall sales. the current pricing of autsocales has nearly killed autoscale sales. putting a ready set at close to $300 is absurd. the hobby grade quality speech ceases to be effective past $200, at $300 you just get laughed at. seriously, people at the LHS just laugh or chuckle.

not sure there is anything we can realistically do about it either. Kyosho JPN doesn't really see the US market as anything special and Kyosho USA pays/sells what the home branch tells them. who knows, maybe they are really don't care and see it as just a niche market that they don't really care about anyway? maybe we have an over inflated sense of self importance as a scale and they just like sticking it to us and watching us squirm? :mad:

Ray....You make a good point about the pricing of Mini-Z's, it is gone over board and I think that the following ( of Z's ) in the USA has declined.
Just look at this forum, the energy that this forum used to produce is gone.
Kyosho is pricing themselves out of the depressed market that we are seeing around us.
I love Mini Z racing and the wonderful people connected to the sport, but we are a dying breed.
I have less money in my Losi 1/10 22 than I do my last Mini Z with great PN parts.
I am not into promoting !/10 scale racing, but Kyosho is killing 1/28 scale.
This is just my feelings after a few bru pops.:p

lfisminiz
2013.07.31, 08:01 PM
Ray....You make a good point about the pricing of Mini-Z's, it is gone over board and I think that the following ( of Z's ) in the USA has declined.
Just look at this forum, the energy that this forum used to produce is gone.
Kyosho is pricing themselves out of the depressed market that we are seeing around us.
I love Mini Z racing and the wonderful people connected to the sport, but we are a dying breed.
I have less money in my Losi 1/10 22 than I do my last Mini Z with great PN parts.
I am not into promoting !/10 scale racing, but Kyosho is killing 1/28 scale.
This is just my feelings after a few bru pops.:p

Well said!

r46
2013.07.31, 09:45 PM
theres retailers doing ve 50th anni @ $180 + shipping :) so why does kyosho/ retailers have such a high mark up?

herman
2013.07.31, 10:27 PM
Anyway, the 50th I do have is the best freaking MiniZ I have ever owned, just had a great feel out of the box with an added damper and carbon tplate. Same with my friends, so maybe they are worth the insane price as they seem to have a little magic in'em.

hmm the only magic i see is the money in your wallet that will suddenly disappear upon purchase... faster than you can say abracadabra!!! :D

kidding aside i was lucky enough to try the ve when they first came out in singapore... and i must say that they drive differently (meant in a good sense - did a write up on it --> atomic collective (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38727&highlight=atomic+collective) ), i havent tried the 50th edition, but I guess they might be just as good if not better…

sad part is… pricing particularly us pricing... and how much you are willing to pay...

i've found prices in asia to be a bit lower... and more reasonable...

Sammich
2013.08.01, 06:40 AM
Kyosho America MSRP for the MR-03VE 50th Anniversary edition is $459.99! selling on their site fro $419.99!

MR-03VE 50th Anniversary edition (http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/32761B-MINI-Z-Racer-MR-03VE-50th-Anniversary-edition_p_22697.html)

I know we can find at most stores the same kit for around $300, but to me this is all insane! :)

I'm yet to see how much the new MR-03 + KT-18 will hit the streets but I guess it will cost over $200 when added an autoscale body.

If they are trying to kill the Mini-Z, they are doing a hell of a good job :D

they dropped it in price....

to $413.99...

seriously at this rate i could almost see going into 10th scale racing. that is crazy, if that was the price when i was introduced into it, i probably wouldnt have gotten into it.

TheRinger
2013.08.01, 08:27 AM
I think all the points discussed here are valid. And I think that if you put it all together, it makes since. I got into mini z's because of price, looks, and that you can race all year around. But to me it looks like kyosho is pricing mini z's out of existence. Driving you to maybe get into bigger scale racing. 8th scale electric is booming. Short coarse is still holding on. Touring car is making a comeback amongst other things big scale. I really don't want to see mini z disappear but what can we do? Promote it the best that we can. But this hobby is also very trend and fad driven. It could be just a cycle. When the economy tank a few years ago, I witness quite a few big scale guys jump into mini z because of price and the down time from big scale racing. But those people got tired of waiting for things to get better and eventually left mini z to go back to big scale. To me big scale racing lost its appeal. Money and being at the mercy of Mother Nature didn't appeal to me. Especially the competitive nature of people that race in big scale. Plus if you want to race on a track you have to find one and hope its not too far. Instead with mini z if you have enough space for setting up a track whether makeshift or RCP you can play at your leisure or set up some racing locally. And it doesn't require a nice chunk of land and heavy equipment to make a track. I raced short coarse for a few years and got burned out. I've been selling off my big scale little by little for a while. To make a long and pointless story short, I hope that the price hike won't kill off my favorite hobby.

WorldClassZ
2013.08.01, 05:20 PM
This is beginning to feel like a wake.
:(

kyoshosan
2013.08.06, 09:27 AM
At Least you can find it on ebay (http://www.*******om/itm/32761-Kyosho-Mini-Z-MR-03VE-Chassis-Kit-50th-Anniversary-Edition-/370871295807?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item5659a6df3f) now for $215.00, a more reasonable price :)

WorldClassZ
2013.08.06, 11:25 AM
At Least you can find it on ebay (http://www.*******om/itm/32761-Kyosho-Mini-Z-MR-03VE-Chassis-Kit-50th-Anniversary-Edition-/370871295807?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item5659a6df3f) now for $215.00, a more reasonable price :)

I saw that but couldn't figure out if it was a regular MR03VE labeled mistakenly as an anniversary edition.

TheSteve
2013.08.06, 12:44 PM
I saw that but couldn't figure out if it was a regular MR03VE labeled mistakenly as an anniversary edition.

They are showing a picture of the regular mr03ve. I assume it really is the 50th anniversary they are selling but knowing the seller if it isn't you're pretty much SOL.

Sammich
2013.08.06, 01:24 PM
so they are selling MR03VE's for $215?! that's good then

herman
2013.08.12, 05:46 AM

yeah i was wondering the same thing... :confused: