PDA

View Full Version : couple battery/noob questions

Dr. Light
2013.08.28, 02:05 PM
I'm pretty familiar with RC, but very new to the Mini Z world. i had no real interest till i saw a MR02 kit on ebay with a KT5 controller (is this any good?) anyway i have a few questions if someone doesn't mind answering them.

-First up batteries. I've done some research and i was going to pick up some orion 900hv i think they were called. do batteries really matter? i'm used to 4S/6s lipos. so how do AAA batteries work? is it one cell per battery? do they have to be balanced like the bigger batts? I've got a thunder AC6, do they make an attachment to charge and balance AAA batts? do they make lipos in a AAA configuration? i'm not doing any racing just driving around inside and what not.

-i was looking around at brushless setups, i think they have some that come stock with the MR03 chassis right? i saw some motors for sale but no brushless motor/ESC combos. Do they have combos that drop right into the MR02 chassis? what about 2.4ghz setups?

DMALMAD
2013.08.28, 03:07 PM
The car that you have is an AM mr-02 which is pretty out dated. What people race now is the MR-03 which has a better layout and comes with 2.4ghz There is an mr-02 model that is 2.4ghz but it isn't as good as the 03.
The way nimh cells work in mini z is there are 4 separate cells that go into the slots. You can buy the pn charging tray and use the charger you have. Or a popular choice for chargers is the maha. As batteries go, the less capacity (ie 750 mah) the faster they will be but with less run time. A good battery to start with is the peak 900's. For the brushless, they only make it for the mr-03. Although the brushless is out, most people, if not all still only race with the brushed version. When you buy a pack of batteries you will get 4 cells and the price range is anywhere from 10-15 dollars. Unless you are racing you really don't need to discharge your cells and nimh don't need to be balanced. If you are going to charge with your charger, start with a 1 amp charge.

imxlr8ed
2013.08.28, 03:55 PM
First off... welcome!

Batteries are the easiest thing for these cars IMO. Matching is something I would suggest for someone who is seriously racing and needs that extra tenth a lap and doesn't make a single mistake during the whole race and can only blame their losses on mis-matched cells because they are such awesome drivers that it just had to be the cells fault. ;)

With that out of the way, I've run fresh Nimh cells from typical chain stores at a few events in my past and not a single driver was passing me down the backstretch.

Now, your MR02 may be obsolete if you are racing with top-level guys. I have a bunch of them and I can tell you from personal experience, they are sturdier than the MR03s and I can get them to handle just as well as one.

Brushless?... I've driven them and wasn't hugely impressed. I've had fetted boards and Mod motors that went just as fast without all of the new headaches and price gouging you get with the new BL chassis.

My best advice... always has and always will be... try to find a club near you and spend a day there. Hopefully you're near one!

Sammich
2013.08.29, 07:35 AM
my advice...learn to drive clean...definitely helps, dont ask how i know :D

Dr. Light
2013.09.02, 12:57 PM
thanks guys, i'll prob upgrade at some point but i'll stick with my MR-02 for now. i saw some 2.4ghz upgrade kits for about $70 bucks. is this a hard swap to do on an standard MR-02 chassis? can i pick the kit up, pick up a kt-18 and be good to go?

Johnathan
2013.10.11, 06:08 AM
thanks guys, i'll prob upgrade at some point but i'll stick with my MR-02 for now. i saw some 2.4ghz upgrade kits for about $70 bucks. is this a hard swap to do on an standard MR-02 chassis? can i pick the kit up, pick up a kt-18 and be good to go?

If you are considering putting a 2.4ghz board into your 02 make sure you get the 02 version and not the 03. The board is relatively the same but the servo for the steering is not. Best advice would be to buy a 03 chassis kit. They run a lot better and so do the electronics. If you are going to stick with the 02 and change the board it can be a pain your first time around. I remember my first time doing it, I didn't really know what I was doing or how to do it. It took me about 2 hours to take it apart, put the new board in, and put everything back together. The more you do it, the easier it becomes. I've changed many boards and chassis so now it only takes me about 15 mins to do everything. With a little practice and time you will get it.