PDA

View Full Version : Spray painting in crappy weather

ScoobyPete
2013.10.21, 05:55 AM
Hi All,
the weather here has turned and it's gone quite grey and gloomy, raining most of the time :(

This means quite a hig moisture content in the air which is meaning that my paint is taking days to dry. The paint coat is the Tamiya acrylic rattle can which is quite a bit thicker than the pots, even more so with clear coats. After 48hours it's still not drying properly.
I've had to redo a shell as the clear wasnt quite dry and I got some lovely finger prits all over the car :(

Has anyone tried to bake autoscales in the oven? I was thinking of making a cqrdboard box with a vent at the bottom and placing an electric heater underneath so that the heat rises to fill the box. anyone think this would work or just kill the paint?

Is there an scale paint booth oven o tyhe market? or forget the box and just stick it in the oven at gas mark 4 for 20 mins??

LED
2013.10.21, 06:33 AM
An oven? it will melt the body :p

Use a hairdyer. I always use a hairdryer in between coats. It's dry in minutes.

ScoobyPete
2013.10.21, 07:32 AM
An oven? it will melt the body :p

Use a hairdyer. I always use a hairdryer in between coats. It's dry in minutes.

LOL yeah at Gas mark 5 it might.

Im guessing you'd only need something low like 40C to bake the paint, not hot enoiugh to melt the body.

My idea of the box with a vent cut in the bottom and placed over an electric radient heater seems like it might work as it's an indirect heat and the warm air will just be rising into the box, arming rather than cooking. Maybe have a vent at the top to allow the air to circulate??