PDA

View Full Version : PN making electronics?

tudor_47
2013.11.09, 04:33 PM
Found this in the PNWC rules..

makes me wonder what Pn got going?

Spektrum receiver for Mini_z? new PN ESC/receiver??

take not of the 1. Cancelled line below...
From the PNWC rules:
"Race Information http://pnwc2013.fr/informationsEN.php

RULES LINK

PN Racing World Cup 2013 Final

Nov 8-10, 2013 France Paris

Run on RCP SMOOTH side 32 tiles x 14 tiles

Rules and Regulations

Version 13.12 last updated 1 Nov 2013

1. Cancelled allow PN Spektrum board

RACE CLASS

2WD Stock , Le Mans Pro-Stock, GT Modified, F1 Pro-Stock, Pan Car Modified."

tudor_47
2013.12.29, 07:00 PM
I just watched the PNWC report on youtube a french report and in that the PN spektrum board is on picture and discussed by Phillip
youtube: http://youtu.be/-RGb5fmYZm8

picture of the board is attached...

cowboysir
2013.12.29, 09:37 PM
This is fantastic news...a buddy of mine doesn't want to miniz because he can't adjust to the idea if getting a different transmitter that he uses for 10th scale.

Did the report (or anyone here) mention a release date?

arch2b
2013.12.29, 10:39 PM
it seems like a good video, if you know french. :rolleyes:

imxlr8ed
2013.12.30, 12:01 AM
Not brushless?

I thought that was the direction he was going but realistically, I prefer brushed myself. I haven't really seen any brushless Z outrun a Mod brushed yet on the track. Wonder if he's planning for lipo power as well?

Go Phil! This is once again another avenue towards growing this type of racing!

tudor_47
2014.01.13, 05:53 AM
more proof of a PN DSM2 board fpr mini-z is coming at PNracing f******k:

https://sv-se(dot)faceboo(dot).com/photo.php?fbid=10152086297682707&set=a.10152086297732707(dot)1073741827(dot)2314725 32706&type=1&theater

On F******k PNracing writes
"The Bluetoith Adapter is work with iPhine, but no one make the apps for Apple store. This adapter work with Andriod apps for MiniZ, also work with any laptop have bluetooth function with PC version ICS. of course will be work new PN DSM2 board."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the picture, again from PN F******k is attached.

Source of both picture and text is f******k (link above)

cowboysir
2014.01.15, 10:55 AM
Any idea if this electronics package will be DSM compatible or is it just DSM2?

PNracing
2014.01.15, 01:13 PM
Any idea if this electronics package will be DSM compatible or is it just DSM2?

Only DSM2, so all the current Spektrum radio will be work. But not working for old school DSM module for 3PK or EX10.

cowboysir
2014.01.15, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the info...looks like ill have to spend my money in other ways. :D

tudor_47
2014.01.15, 04:42 PM
Only DSM2, so all the current Spektrum radio will be work. But not working for old school DSM module for 3PK or EX10.

Thanks for letting us know,
whats the estimated release date for this?
I would be happy to test it, in my P28 car(s)

I assume it will be about the same size as a normal Mr03 board?

TheSteve
2014.01.15, 05:17 PM
Fcc id ???

tudor_47
2014.01.16, 04:42 AM
setup bluetooth adapter now available at kenon (http://www.kenonhobby.com/PN-Racing-Bluetooth-ICS-Adapter_p_45150.html)

arch2b
2014.01.16, 07:23 AM
setup bluetooth adapter now available at kenon (http://www.kenonhobby.com/PN-Racing-Bluetooth-ICS-Adapter_p_45150.html)

worth noting the limitations as well...

Features
Wireless program for Mini-Z ASF MR-02 MR-03 MR-03VE
and PN DSM2, (NOT work for MR-03 Sport), compatible to
Android phone 2.2 or higher, and PC with Bluetooth connect.

so PC or Android only and is NOT compatible with the new entry level Sports chassis. all in all though, a solid offering. sucks i can't use any of the ICS adapter apps as they are all Android.:rolleyes:

i to would like to know if the electronics are a drop in replacement? i assume the board port support power for transponder? i assume yes with the ICS adapter. it's a shame the kyosho Sports series board does not.

tudor_47
2014.01.24, 04:33 AM
Now it is a set date for the 28 of January, the software for setting the ICS is downloadable at the PN website http://pnracing.us/download/ics-pc.zip

Felix2010
2014.01.24, 07:14 AM
More info just posted on Kenon's website. Check under New Products:D

Excellent work PN!:cool:

tudor_47
2014.01.24, 08:09 AM
More info just posted on Kenon's website. Check under New Products:D

Excellent work PN!:cool:

I'm probably blind... but I can not find it... link?

arch2b
2014.01.24, 03:27 PM
i saw them for a bit but appear to be gone again. when i saw them, there wasn't any specific information about them either. the listings just said mr-03 and mr-02 boards essentially with no mention of DSM2. maybe they are in the process of editing the listings.

from the from the f******k page
PN Racing RC Printed Circuit Board Assembly (03 Setting)
Part Number 500803

PN Racing RC Printed Circuit Board Assembly (02 Setting)
Part Number 500802

Jan 28 Release to public!!!

Felix2010
2014.01.24, 05:00 PM
Maybe the pages are being edited like arch mentioned... I took notes of a few things about the PN boards:

- Confirmed 2.4ghz DSM2 Spektrum (Such as Spektrum DX3R, DX4S and DX4R radios.. Must be DSM2 (Not DSM compatible)

- Separate MR02 and MR03 drop-in boards available

- Pre-fetted with PN FETs 2x2 (Same layout as ASF MR02/03 boards)l; PN board can handle 32t motor "no problem"..

- 4x AAA NiMH recommended

- Free PN ICS program download with many features

EMU
2014.01.25, 12:58 AM
My 2 main questions; can it run at 7.4v? and what is the price?

Not having a Spektrum radio raises the cost considerably here. What are the benefits of using this board over the ASF based boards?

Felix2010
2014.01.25, 04:16 AM
My 2 main questions; can it run at 7.4v? and what is the price?

Not having a Spektrum radio raises the cost considerably here. What are the benefits of using this board over the ASF based boards?

Two very good questions... I want to help if I can so here is what I know so far...

Q: Can it run at 7.4v?
A: Not sure... Bad answer I know..:o... I do know I saw "AAA x4 NiMH recommended" and "Not for LiFe /LiPo use" for the PN 2.4ghz board... So that is probably not a good sign.. Sorry EMU to be the bearer of bad news... I'm not sure what this means though considering ASF boards can run Lipo and Life...

Q: What's the price?
A: Probably in the same range as the Kyosho ASF boards. That is what I saw a sneak peak of.. But I really don't want to let the cat outta the bag before PN discloses official pricing... I would not expect a $50 DSM2 PCB, that you can put money on....

Q: What is/are the benefits of DSM2 over ASF?
A: Well, from what I understand and have read-up on Spektrum 2.4ghz DSM2 and DSMR(The latest and greatest is DSMR, but DSM2 is pretty darn good)... DSM2 2.4ghz is Spread-Spectrum & VERY STABLE in noisy 2.4ghz environments (A lot easier to bind at races, etc.). It is Spread-Spectrum rather than "Auto Select Frequency"; ASF binds to one open "cleanest" frequency. Frequency-Hopping Like DSM2 seems to be the way things are going with radios...

Taken from the Spektrum Offical website: DSM2 2.4GHz technology offers the fastest response rate of 5.5ms with 4096 resolution. (I do not know off-hand the response rate for ASF 2.4ghz.) Supposedly 5.5ms is VERY FAST.

Spektrum radios can be a little less money if you race other scales of R/C... And you want to get into Mini-Z...
Also the Spektrum radios also have a lot of built in features that will cost you less than a comparable KO radio with the same features.

Now.. Don't get me wrong. This is hardly the definitive comparison here between Spektrum and KO PROPO. I for one really like the EX-1 K.I.Y.. Umm.. Except for the price tag, especially if you go with both FHSS and ASF Master Units to swap-out for different scale racing...

Overall, Mr. PN has always developed solid products. I HIGHLY doubt he would choose and inferior product and put his name on it.

I hope this little bit of info helps.. I'm sorry if I left a lot still unanswered.... I am waiting like everyone for more info directly from PN and Co. -- Yasuji in particular -- since (I've read on these forums) he has touted the EX-1 K.I.Y as the best radio he has used..

arch2b
2014.01.25, 09:05 AM
If all thing being equal, simply having an alternate board on a common system is a great thing for the scale. If your focus is bringing in people in other scales, this may be a very good way to do that. I personally don't know anything about dsm systems as I only race mini-z.

Choice can only benefit us overall and I thank PN for giving us another choice.

Mike Keely
2014.01.25, 09:51 AM
Q:

What is/are the benefits of DSM2 over ASF?
A: Well, from what I understand and have read-up on Spektrum 2.4ghz DSM2 and DSMR(The latest and greatest is DSMR, but DSM2 is pretty darn good)... DSM2 2.4ghz is Spread-Spectrum & VERY STABLE in noisy 2.4ghz environments (A lot easier to bind at races, etc.). It is Spread-Spectrum rather than "Auto Select Frequency"; ASF binds to one open "cleanest" frequency. Frequency-Hopping Like DSM2 seems to be the way things are going with radios...

Taken from the Spektrum Offical website: DSM2 2.4GHz technology offers the fastest response rate of 5.5ms with 4096 resolution. (I do not know off-hand the response rate for ASF 2.4ghz.) Supposedly 5.5ms is VERY FAST.

Can you tell us if there is any difference between the EX-1 K.I.Y. and the Eurus as far as the type of signal they use?

yasuji
2014.01.25, 11:01 AM
here are the facts!
PN Racing RC Printed Circuit Board Assembly (03 Setting)
Part Number 500803

PN Racing RC Printed Circuit Board Assembly (02 Setting)
Part Number 500802

Jan 28 Release to public!!!
PN Racing RC Printed Circuit Board Assembly IS a drop in for MR03, MR02, MR015,F1 AND AWD
PN RACING has spent many months developing a competitive alternate platform for all levels of mini-z enthusiasts
PN RACING currently has a pc version with additional features exclusive to the PN Racing RC Printed Circuit Board Assembly

http://pnracing.us/download/ics-pc.zip

Felix2010
2014.01.25, 08:41 PM
Grant/Yasuji - I saw a youtube vid of you running the new PN board around some RCP and it lookd like you were using the new Spektrum DX4R PRO Tx.

Are you still going to run your ASF Mini-Z chassis' at all? Or are you going to be using the PN board the the DX4R PRO Tx? The reason I ask is, as I mentioned in my last post, I remember you commenting how the KO PROPO EX-1 K.I.Y. ASF Tx had improved your Mini-Z game considerably compared to the prior KO Tx's you were running, the EX-1UR (My current Tx) and the KO EX-10 EURUS Tx.

I can't find any info on exact latency of the K.I.Y. ASF 2.4g Tx with Mini-Z ASF 2.4g boards... And according to Spektrum's website , when using the DX4R-PRO DSMR Tx the DSM2 frequency latency is 5.5ms --- Very Fast! :cool:

Grant - Do you have ay thoughts or recommendations regarding going the K.I.Y. ASF Tx route and staying with Mini-Z ASF for the time being?

1.) I have MANY ASF 2.4 boards...
2.) I am still racing 99% BRUSHED-MOTORS ONLY.. Still waiting on the Brushless stuff (No particular reason, I'm just old school with motors is all...:))...

OR - If you owned the KO PROPO EX-1UR Tx at this time, would you consider buying the Spektrum top-of-the-line DX4R-PRO and a couple of the new PN DSM2 boards instead of going K.I.Y.? I would really appreciate any advice you could give me about this, since either way I'm looking to invest $500+ on some new Top-Of-The-Line Mini-Z racing electronics....

Thank you Grant and I appreciate your help very much :D

KWT
2014.01.25, 11:49 PM
Flelix, They do make a spektrum module for the Ko propo radios so you don't have to get a new radio.

chad508
2014.01.26, 12:25 AM
the modules for the ko radios will not work as they are dsm not dsm2

yasuji
2014.01.26, 01:10 AM
Grant/Yasuji - I saw a youtube vid of you running the new PN board around some RCP and it lookd like you were using the new Spektrum DX4R PRO Tx.

Are you still going to run your ASF Mini-Z chassis' at all? Or are you going to be using the PN board the the DX4R PRO Tx? The reason I ask is, as I mentioned in my last post, I remember you commenting how the KO PROPO EX-1 K.I.Y. ASF Tx had improved your Mini-Z game considerably compared to the prior KO Tx's you were running, the EX-1UR (My current Tx) and the KO EX-10 EURUS Tx.

I can't find any info on exact latency of the K.I.Y. ASF 2.4g Tx with Mini-Z ASF 2.4g boards... And according to Spektrum's website , when using the DX4R-PRO DSMR Tx the DSM2 frequency latency is 5.5ms --- Very Fast! :cool:

Grant - Do you have ay thoughts or recommendations regarding going the K.I.Y. ASF Tx route and staying with Mini-Z ASF for the time being?

1.) I have MANY ASF 2.4 boards...
2.) I am still racing 99% BRUSHED-MOTORS ONLY.. Still waiting on the Brushless stuff (No particular reason, I'm just old school with motors is all...:))...

OR - If you owned the KO PROPO EX-1UR Tx at this time, would you consider buying the Spektrum top-of-the-line DX4R-PRO and a couple of the new PN DSM2 boards instead of going K.I.Y.? I would really appreciate any advice you could give me about this, since either way I'm looking to invest $500+ on some new Top-Of-The-Line Mini-Z racing electronics....

Thank you Grant and I appreciate your help very much :D

OK the kiy is by far the best kopropo radio that have ever used ... and i have tried them all...
for the record i have tried the spektrum dx3rpro dx4rpro and they work well but do not fit my hand as well as the radio that i am using in the video which is the dx4s... this radio is awesome and light weight...and the trigger is closer than the others and allowes me to be more comfortable
as for the need to change from ko asf to dsm2... it is up to the driver...
for me all i can compare is asf brushed to brushless.... the brushless has the win on that front..... not only for the power but the response and strength of the steering....
and with that said i made a statement that i would never drive brushed ever again....lol
the pn board is every bit as good as the asf brushless board the only down side for me is that it is not brushless...however the pn dsm board is capable of running the same lap record pace of my brushless car and is a little more consistent...
as for what i will race this year.... im on the fence... my brushless 02 is the bomb!.... and has the speed to make up for my mistakes.... but the pn car is going to be consistent :)

miniznewb
2014.02.16, 05:20 PM
how do I bind this pn spectrum board to my dx4s. I tried holding the button while turning on the mini-z then hitting bind on the radio but its not working

chad508
2014.02.16, 05:22 PM
If it's like the ko board you should hit bind on radio first then on the board.

miniznewb
2014.02.16, 05:52 PM
well gave that a try and still nothing. everything powers up but will not bind

PNracing
2014.02.16, 08:44 PM
well gave that a try and still nothing. everything powers up but will not bind
I'm not sure what problem, were you buy the board? if local hobby store, make sure they have stock for replacement, if not please send it to us only the board or whole car, we can replacement and install for you, please contact info@rckenon.com

art4242
2014.02.26, 07:28 PM
I was able to install the board into my chassis and successfully bind it to my DX3C. Everything is up and running. See attached photo.

It took a couple of tries to bind, I don't remember the exact sequence but there was some timing involved between turning on the board with bind button pressed and pushing the bind button on the transmitter. I think it was finicky as when you hit the bind on the transmitter (at least on the DX3C), it only lasts for a few moments in bind mode, than goes back to normal.

cowboysir
2014.03.07, 11:27 AM
I recently purchased a board to build a chassis for a neighbor who runs Spectrum. The description of his radio (DX2s) says it is DSM2 compatible and yet I cannot get the bind process to work.

Is it a compatibility issue....does the PN printed board function with the DX2s Tx?

Thanks.

Edit: I have the opportunity to purchase a dx3e which says its dsm2 compatible...will this function with the PN printed board?

cowboysir
2014.03.25, 07:07 PM
I recently purchased a board to build a chassis for a neighbor who runs Spectrum. The description of his radio (DX2s) says it is DSM2 compatible and yet I cannot get the bind process to work.

Is it a compatibility issue....does the PN printed board function with the DX2s Tx?

Thanks.

Edit: I have the opportunity to purchase a dx3e which says its dsm2 compatible...will this function with the PN printed board?

issue rectified!(if there ever was an issue to begin with):

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=451041#post451041