PDA

View Full Version : New stuff from X-power for MR-03

AFMiniz
2013.11.29, 10:48 PM
I heard from the market that X-power is going to release something very interesting. I really look forward to learning more on it.

As far as I know it is a conversion kit made of graphite & aluminum. Most important it is highly compatible with shells & parts of Kyosho Miniz MR03. It sounds that it is for "upgrading" your car for better handling (hope that better outlook as well) instead of a new car like Atomic's AMZ does.

Personally, I hope that it will be released to the market before Christmas.

DMALMAD
2013.11.30, 11:03 PM
It's not a conversion kit. They say "The design elements of our MRX (Mini Racing X-Car) has a use of carbon fiber plate and aluminum for both upper deck and chassis along with a frame that is fit on Mini-Z car shells. More details will be published soon." which means that they are making their own car which is probably going to be very similar to atomic's, and that it will work with kyosho's bodies. I think that their poor English is confusing but it is clear that it is not a conversion.

UPDATE teaser shot from their FB

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1460214_714144428597760_1345044004_n.jpg

unearthed name
2013.12.01, 09:37 PM
looks interesting. 2014 will be an interesting year for 2014 racing season with all the new technologies of brushless motors, new chassis from different manufactur.

hopefully we can get a race that can compete in 1/10 in terms of competitors.

DMALMAD
2013.12.04, 05:20 PM
Wow, just after putting up the teaser shots it is available to order according to their f******k! Oh and I was wrong it is a conversion kit.

DMALMAD
2013.12.04, 05:53 PM
http://x-powerrc.com/ufiles/XP-MRX-CKB_1.jpg
http://x-powerrc.com/ufiles/XP-MRX-CKB_3.jpg
http://x-powerrc.com/ufiles/XP-MRX-CKB_4.jpg

AFMiniz
2013.12.04, 10:50 PM
I ordered it and will put some pictures upon I got it.

RC.DNA
2013.12.05, 01:00 AM
I just ordered mine. Hopefully can get the kit by this weekend. Cannot wait to get hold of it and start converting my 03VE.

DMALMAD
2013.12.05, 02:50 PM
I was just looking at the pictures carefully and it doesn't come with a front end or a rear pod, so for those of you who are getting this just be weary if you have a stock front end. Having said that i might get this and try to put a double a arm suspension on it since it has the same geometry and mounting holes to put it on. I noticed on the video that they posted that the car slowed down a lot in turns and with a larger track, a brushed motor, and a good front suspension this conversion cold work.

mleemor60
2013.12.05, 08:06 PM
This chassis just screams for the new LevitZer front end.

phea
2013.12.05, 11:28 PM
So sexy! I wonder how the battery adapter on the top cover works...

NoBrainer
2013.12.06, 02:21 AM
Please do check how well MR-03VE board handles 2S LiPo.
Looking forward for any reveiws

AFMiniz
2013.12.06, 09:06 AM
I got my kit today. It took me around 45 minutes to disassemble my car and assemble needed parts with this kit. The finishing of the kit is better than what I expected. I will make a try on it as soon as I can.

phea
2013.12.06, 09:24 PM
I got my kit today. It took me around 45 minutes to disassemble my car and assemble needed parts with this kit. The finishing of the kit is better than what I expected. I will make a try on it as soon as I can.

Any chance you can post some pics?

DMALMAD
2013.12.07, 11:06 AM
Did you assemble it with their front end and servo cover, or did it come with a front end already?

phea
2013.12.10, 09:01 PM
any updates???

DMALMAD
2013.12.10, 09:24 PM
can anyone who has it compare it to a pn double a arm mr-03 car??? Or have you tried to put the pn front end on it???

AFMiniz
2013.12.11, 07:50 AM
The VE electronic board works well with Lipo battery and brushless motor. Lipo provides adequate "punch" even using the stock Xspeed brushless motor. This kit apart from allowing me to switch to use Lipo, i was impressed by the easy handling it provided. I felt the car become very responsive. I guess is mainly due to its lower centre of gravity and overall lighter in weight after using Lipo. Overall speaking I like it very much.

DMALMAD
2013.12.11, 03:20 PM
but did you use their front end or did it come with the front suspension already and does it have compatibility with other manufactures front end. Also any chances you can put up some pictures or videos of the car.

Felix2010
2013.12.11, 10:28 PM
From the pics, I believe all you get is the main chassis... Meaning, the servo assembly and servo "box" you provide, as well as the front suspension, whatever you want to use (Like PN A-arm, X-Power FE, Reflex, etc)... The stock front end can be used from the VE. The metal/carbon top cover is NOT included... So I am pretty positive that the X-Power front -suspension and rear motor pod choice is up to you (None included).

The MRX... Is a Cool idea... But a bit pricey for what you get.... :)

imxlr8ed
2013.12.12, 10:57 AM
Hate to say it but I think this is a bit of a stretch to say the CG is lower. Technically speaking, if you are running a lightweight Lipo pack (which would be way lighter than 4 AAA cells), I would think the CG would move higher in the chassis. Only time I can think of where that statement truly applied was when we were all running 01s and the carbon chassis' started coming out. The flat battery configuration was the only reason for these carbon chassis. Ever since the advent of the 02, the 2WD chassis aftermarket has been minimal to say the least. I've never driven a carbon chassis and was so blown away by it's performance that I had to buy one (and I've driven all kinds). I've never felt "low CG" before, I have noticed camber and toe and tire choice though.

Just keepin it real. :D

Felix2010
2013.12.12, 01:40 PM
Hi imxlr8ed, Did you mean, you were blown away when you saw the X-Power MRX chassis performance you had to buy one of those? Or you saw an an MR01 carbon-chassis and liked it and bought an MR01 carbon chassis? I'm just wondering for clarification, thank you :)

I like the idea of the MRZ... but it is not a revolutionary.. The Atomic AMZ Micro 4wd for $165 looks like a very nice carbon 4wd chassis that in my opinion it is very different (Than any that has been widely released) before... The amount of tech&performance per $ is looking like a very good bargain (If it handles as good or better than an MA010/015/020 with same setup).

The MRZ it very trick and I like lipo(But.. Racers run nimh) and for a race chassis it is a nice piece but for a nice price.. I like how everything on the MRX is machined to exact tolerances and very clean and professional.. It might be better than an MR03, I hate the MR03 chassis flex... It's like paper compared to an MR02..

I'm not trying to dog X-Power, it is just a little more expensive than I had in mind... Besides that, I like the MRZ a lot :)

imxlr8ed
2013.12.12, 02:43 PM
No, didn't drive this new one yet but I've driven many types of carbon chassis' over the years, either through friends or at events. I've just never been impressed by any of them, I mean... I appreciate anything new and I obviously am amazed by any kind of innovation in this scale but when it comes down to raw performance, I never seen a carbon chassis even win a Mod Class race throughout all my time in this hobby.

The AMZ interests me because it's AWD and it appears to be a more balanced configuration than the MA010, seems to have more design intent, whereas this chassis here seems more like just a "fix" for a problem that really isn't there.

Who knows... maybe one day I'll be smacked around by everyone running these things in the future, but I doubt it.

Kinda where I was at with the AWDs years ago... saying they are not faster or better than the MR02s.

And I too am not dogging this here either... I just feel that this may not be as revolutionary as it may seem to some.

DMALMAD
2013.12.12, 03:09 PM
just looked more closely and you can only use their front gearbox cover ( due to where it mounts and how far it extends) which has different height of where you attach the double a-arm so unless you hack up a regular 03 front cover you can only use their stuff which is a bummer since their front end is crap and binds and it is 60 dollars just for the cover and top mount not to mention the other 100 $ you would have to spend on knuckles, arms and botton plate. They are way overcharging for a small improvement which in my eyes is just an easy way to run lipo.The idea is good but would have to be 120 $ with front and rear end with the ability to run any front end, so for those reasons I am really disappointed.

EMU
2013.12.13, 02:03 AM
I really like the look of this conversion chassis, and hope that they did not make it compatible solely with their front end. Unless they are selling a complete car, then they would just be trying to hide the full price of the conversion... Mini-Z racers have many different tastes as far as what front/rear end they prefer... I know many will want to throw an A-Arm on there as the only option, and if it cant work, then the chassis isn't an interest for them.

It is a steep price for what it is. A replacement for something that is about $20 in plastic from Kyosho... It should reduce a lot of the flex that the Kyosho chassis has, but it really isn't worth that price. If other manufacturers can produce an entire car for a similar price, then I feel that X-Power should at least be able to make a bundle to complete the chassis at a discounted price. Otherwise, I can see only a handful of these leaving the shelves. but built up as it is, you are talking about a $600 car :eek:

chad508
2013.12.13, 08:18 AM
^who is this guy? lol
glad to see ya post again emu

EMU
2013.12.13, 09:53 AM
^who is this guy? lol
glad to see ya post again emu
Me too :p Now I just need to get some new toys ;) I would love to play with this chassis, and the AMZ... :rolleyes:

Daddy Rabbit
2013.12.14, 06:37 AM
Good to see ya back EMU, have not seen you since LT's grand opening race, you need come down and see LGR's new store. :D

EMU
2013.12.14, 05:37 PM
I will have to see if I can come down and check it out...

Daddy Rabbit
2013.12.15, 06:40 PM
EMU....Would love to see ya. :)

AFMiniz
2013.12.16, 06:34 AM
I had a serious try it on the RCP track. I found that the car become more responsive as I mentioned before. I need to use one level up hardness for front springs so as to make it slightly under steering. I am able to achieve 0.5s faster in a 10s track. One thing worth to mention, it holds the shell tighter than the stock chassis does.

The stock brushless motor works well with Lipo. It provides a very liner acceleration.

It is pricey but in my opinion, it worth as I look for something good looking and performing.

r46
2013.12.16, 02:28 PM
I had a serious try it on the RCP track. I found that the car become more responsive as I mentioned before. I need to use one level up hardness for front springs so as to make it slightly under steering. I am able to achieve 0.5s faster in a 10s track. One thing worth to mention, it holds the shell tighter than the stock chassis does.

The stock brushless motor works well with Lipo. It provides a very liner acceleration.

It is pricey but in my opinion, it worth as I look for something good looking and performing.

pics an detail on build? what used etc..

phea
2013.12.16, 04:39 PM
Just picked up a sponsorship from X-Power. I'll post a build up and my impressions to address some of the concerns raised in this thread. Hopefully I will be able to get my hands on this before the year ends. I'll keep all of you guys posted. :)

EMU
2013.12.16, 07:50 PM
Congrats Stephen. Look forward to your write-up.

DMALMAD
2013.12.16, 10:50 PM
Hope that you try a pn double a-arm on it because if it does indeed work than this will likely be something that I may try. Best of luck

phea
2013.12.17, 01:11 PM
Congrats Stephen. Look forward to your write-up.

Thanks! It looks like we both haven't posted on these forums in awhile.

Hope that you try a PN double a-arm on it because if it does indeed work than this will likely be something that I may try. Best of luck

I doubt I will be able to get my hands on a double A-Arm setup over here. However, I will test to see how the stock kyosho lower front suspension and other variants fit. As well as the top Kyosho servo gear cover from MR-03's. This should be a good indicator that the double A-Arm setup will bolt-on.

As far as I know, there are not any other manufactures that produce replacement MR-03 servo covers other than X-Power. Can anyone confirm this?

chad508
2013.12.17, 02:59 PM
atomic does.

phea
2013.12.17, 04:27 PM
atomic does.

You are right! I may have one laying around somewhere to try out.

tommy_greeneyes
2013.12.17, 10:23 PM
I am so looking forward to get my car. Also looking forward to putting my goodies on. Front suspension and rear suspension. When I get my car done .i will post my pictures:D:D

AZOREAN
2013.12.17, 11:12 PM
Here's a pic of how I did the top.

phea
2013.12.18, 10:50 AM
Here's a pic of how I did the top.

Pretty clean, going to the track tonight Danny?

AZOREAN
2013.12.18, 11:41 AM
Yeah I'll be there tonight. Got to break it in.

DMALMAD
2013.12.18, 02:27 PM
Nice! seeing that you were able to instal a reflex front end, the only other thing I would need to do to mount the dbl a-arm would be to shave down the chassis on the bottom. This chassis might just be the next innovation for Mini-z.

AFMiniz
2014.01.01, 11:58 PM
No sure do your guys experienced heat issue in using stock BL motor for Lipo battery? I noticed in Xpower FB that they are going to release specially designed BL motor for Lipo battery. It's good news to me though I can still live with Kyosho one's heat!

DMALMAD
2014.01.04, 02:59 PM
Ok so I just bought the chassis and here are my first impression (I will post detailed pics of the chassis and how to install pn a-arm front suspension later):

Pros:
1. Easy Lipo use
2. use's standard and ve board
3. Includes different t bar holders to accommodate 86-102 with the use of standard t bars and dps systems.

Negatives:
1. screws strip on first time trying to unscrew them and it isn't my driver because I have the losi set and haven't had a problem using it with the pn screws.
2. Requires modification to fit pn dbl a arm besides the usual cutting of the chassis.
3. With the weight of the thick carbon middle chassis and the metal top deck the cg is much higher.
4. Way to expensive for the very little bit you get, they should have included everything you need (front end, rear pod, dps, springs, diff, bearings) for the price they charge.:confused:
5. Shipping, even though I bought it through Maj's hobby shop, it took them forever just to ship but if for some reason they decide to ship on time it gets to America pretty fast.
6. Front part of the chassis where the suspension bolts on is an independent two piece design and although it is aluminum it looks fragile where the two pieces connect.
7. batteries are 15 grams lighter than regular nimhs (now i know why they released the weight kits)

Although the top deck is very heavy it would have been a nice feature if there was more weight at the bottom of the chassis. All in all this is a good idea and an easy way to use lipo and hopefully it will hold up and will do good lap times.

*Edit*
Pictures:

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DMALMAD/IMG_0038_zps5025a446.jpg
Their front toe bar cover piece (left) compared to pn dbl a arm. Important to note that the pn piece won't work so to keep those little pins in I put some thick grease on the pins and did some tests and they aren't coming out but you have to use a very thick grease like ball diff lube.
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DMALMAD/IMG_0043_zpsddb3d644.jpg
From this side you can see how the servo is mounted. FYI you have to put the middle carbon fibre board support in before the servo and servo gears otherwise the top cover won't close over the pot and servo wires, found this out the hard way…
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DMALMAD/IMG_0039_zps59d83dfe.jpg
In this picture you can see where I cut the front servo cover. To get it nice and even like i did you have to cut it with an exacto and then sand it on top of glass.
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DMALMAD/IMG_0042_zps89a8ff3f.jpg
Picture of of the batteries, they aren't the best and they throw the cg off since they are 15g lighter than r1 990.
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DMALMAD/IMG_0041_zps22f64781.jpg
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DMALMAD/IMG_0047_zpsa7a68c43.jpg
Just some install pictures. One thing I don't like about using the standard servo top piece is it leaves the pot unprotected. Also you may have to trim the chassis where the toe bar goes in since the opening is slightly too small and causes binding.When you install the dbl a arm you have to be careful since a regular dremel sanding drum won't work, you have to use the thin metal cutter and shave off quite a bit towards the front.
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DMALMAD/IMG_0052_zpsd9e948af.jpg
Ok their screws are the worst. The threads are shaky and the heads are so soft. If you look one way to get them out if they are stuck is to heat up the tops of them with the dremel and then to put your driver in, they bend when they get hot so they formed around the tip of the driver. Only do this if they are in the bottom of the chassis like these, if you tried to cut a slot in these the chassis would be ruined.
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DMALMAD/IMG_0046_zps537b9508.jpg
Lastly this is a comparison shot. The Mrx is 4g heavier but since the batteries save 15g it is 11g lighter total. Which means that it is 153g with body and batteries. I could save weight with my pn screws and a plastic front clip and my light weight diff.

DMALMAD
2014.01.04, 08:39 PM
Also one thing that is cool about the chassis is the dos washers go into the dps plate before you install the chassis which makes it a lot easier.

tommy_greeneyes
2014.01.04, 09:25 PM
Also one thing that is cool about the chassis is the dos washers go into the dps plate before you install the chassis which makes it a lot easier.

Devin that looks like a really nice car. You cut up a lot...

I am a 80% almost done with my car. As for stripping the The screws. Everything fit perfect in my kit. I have pictures but I'm not ready to post them yet:cool:;)

DMALMAD
2014.01.04, 09:44 PM
Yeah it came out great, I may have been torquing on those screws a little too hard but they should have held up long enough to come out of the chassis, it was only the screws that came pre installed that gave me trouble all the ones in the bags were really good. The board fit great and the lipo power is extreme:eek: As for the cutting, I only cut what was necessary to fit the dbl a arm, but once you cut it it is smooth as butter.

tommy_greeneyes
2014.01.04, 09:55 PM
Yeah it came out great, I may have been torquing on those screws a little too hard but they should have held up long enough to come out of the chassis, it was only the screws that came pre installed that gave me trouble all the ones in the bags were really good. The board fit great and the lipo power is extreme:eek: As for the cutting, I only cut what was necessary to fit the dbl a arm, but once you cut it it is smooth as butter.

Well the one thing is that you're done and you like your car. If it was me I would've left the screws alone. Those extra screws in the package with just extra. But good job though Your car looks good. Now the next step is to set it up good on the carpet. Hopefully it has good balance.

DMALMAD
2014.01.08, 09:06 PM
With all the weight being up high I worry if this chassis will cause traction roll without the use of weights, but it may not need them because after checking against an regular 03 chassis, this chassis lowers the topdeck about ~.6 mm. Plus the batteries are slightly (2mm) farther out on each side. In addition the betteries sit flatter and lower in the chassis than the nimhs in an 03. I could be wrong but when Test it on the track on friday I will find out.

tommy_greeneyes
2014.01.09, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't worry about if the cars To lite.as long as you have a good balance in the car.you can put the weight anywhere you want.being a Lite car can be a good advantage.

EMU
2014.01.11, 02:07 PM
I went to MHS today, and they had one of these kits in stock. Despite being strapped for cash, I couldn't resist the urge to splurge! I built it up mostly with Reflex parts, and dropped in a few motors to see what worked best for me. I started with a 70t, and it was a little too slow (compared to the 32/33t AAA NiMh cars), so I popped in a 43t, and it was way too fast. I settled with a 48t ATM Stock-BB. I felt that this was very good, although still a little too fast. It also is a VERY efficient motor, which when limited to ~500mah, is important.

The track is carpet, and we use foam tires... Front suspension was stock kingpin reversed with alloy lower tower. Stock arms with stock inset spring position. I noticed that I needed to use a considerably softer spring than what I would normally run on an MR03. I just wanted to get this onto the track, and not modify things too much to fit. I had to modify the carbon tie rod cover to fit the lower tower bar (shave down about 1mm), but that only took a couple minutes. I trimmed a stock servo cover to fit.

Rear end was a simple DPS setup, although I think I may try a tri-damper setup... Reflex mount with alloy diffusor with lightweight differential.

My running weight at this point was about 153g (with 24g Audi body/lexan window). I later installed the 10g weight from the weight kit, and it greatly improved the car. I think next time I hit the track, I will use the 15g weight, and possibly add more...

Through the course of the day, each time the car hit the track, I found more pace. I haven't been racing much, so I am still shaking off some rust... but the car was definitely coming into its setup. I was still .5s off of the fast lap by the end of the night, but the race winner took it for a spin and ran a full battery pack through it, and came down to almost the same fast lap that he had with his car consistently, with very little adjustment to the radio and chassis to suit his driving style.

So where am I going with this... Is it faster than an MR03? In short, I would say no. It is equal to an MR03 in outright performance. Although, it has less flex and weight (due to LiPo), which will benefit in transition. It does lack some mid corner speed that the MR03 has. This I feel is a weight issue more than anything else, it just doesn't generate as much traction since there is less mass. I want to try to get it up to 175g at least for the next race and see where it stands.

Felix2010
2014.01.12, 02:25 AM
Nice review of the MRX chassis EMU, thank you for the info on your build :)
Cool that your back posting on the forum too, you have a lot of good info you share with all of us mini-z'ers... Very much appreciated. :)

EMU
2014.01.12, 01:12 PM
thanks Felix. im glad to be back on here, and on the track.

in general, i do genuinely like the chassis conversion kit. i think it reduces some of the flaws that the mr03 has, mainly chassis flex and front end durability, while retaining its versatility and integrated servo, which is arguably the best servo at this scale. i would like to see someone outfit this chassis with alternate electronics and see how it is... perhaps that will be my next step in time.

in general, i feel that it is a costly chassis, but the headaches of having to swap out a chassis when the front end or rear body clips break may be worth it... so long as you are permitted to use 7.4v at your race...

DMALMAD
2014.01.12, 01:57 PM
After running the car the first time it really needed some weight. Car has lots of turn in but can't put the power down coming out of the turns with out some extra weight. after adding weight the car felt much better but because the rear end was more planted it came apparent that the t-bar mount was a little off. Because the t-bar mount is interchangeable with another one to accommodate a smaller wheelbase, it is held in with screws and there is a little play. Because of it being of balance the t-bar was harder to one side than the other creating oversteer to one side and understeer to the other. After futzing with it for a couple of min I got it lined up and equal stiffness side to side.

tommy_greeneyes
2014.01.12, 09:47 PM
How I feel about this car ? I really like it. After doing testing at Majs saturday afternoon. This car was very stable and planted. I still didn't add weight to the car yet. I feel I need to get little more corner speed with this car. But that still comes with TuneIn the car yet. I think with the good balance and put the weight were you like. This car can be very deadly on the track. There's different combinations of Front ends and rear end Motor pod to put on this car. I just think if you're good car builder and know your suspensions this car can fit good for you. I think Lipo batteries is the future and needs to go that way.:D

phea
2014.02.18, 12:56 PM
The build quality of this car is fantastic. You can tell the attention that the engineers paid close attention to the details of the MRX. However, during the build I did have to shave a bit on the servo gear casing to have the x-power servo cover to fit flush.

For a good part of my testing I was using an Atomic 12000kv motor with the added power of the lipo and it was just too fast no matter what i did to slow it down. I’m currently using the 6000kv motor in the MRX and it is very smooth. I’ve been experimenting with the copper weights and it makes a big difference in how the car reacts. I currently am using the light weight as it gives enough steering while maintaining traction in the rear. Heavier the weight the more lazier the car was in transitioning.

I found that there was a much needed modification that needed to be done in order to get the t-plate to engage properly. Without this mod the t-plate sits very flat and flexes at the very end of the plate. It involves reusing a broken t-plate and cutting it into parts. Placing these parts will maintain the height of the t-plate and resembles the Kyosho chassis style.
*note* I use Atomic/Kyosho carbon t-plates. This mod may not work well with t-plates that are wider such as lexan or fiber t-plates as they may benefit from the stiffness.

http://i.imgur.com/uCbxbmF.jpg

EMU
2014.02.18, 04:23 PM
I use fiber t-plates on my MRX (normally use Kyosho carbon), and as you mentioned, they do benefit from the stiffness of the t-plate mount.

DMALMAD
2014.02.18, 06:32 PM
Yeah I was doing some testing today at Maj's hobby shop and switched from a carbon fiber t plate that had been shimmed and a frp t plate without the shims and the rear was much more planted with very similar steering. Before i had way too much steering and the car would diff out in turns but it became very drivable and at the very end of the day I took the transponder out of my standard car (dbl a arm modefied 03) and put it in the mrx (dbl a-arm with 50 turn in 32 can) and the mrx did an 8.3 compared to an 8.1 in the other car (top drivers are doing 7.8's with lipo dbl a arm 03, but I am able to make the A with the standard aaa's). Only thing is the MRX was using a lexan pan body but might actually be better with an r8 with the added weight.

DMALMAD
2014.02.18, 06:36 PM
The build quality of this car is fantastic.

http://i.imgur.com/uCbxbmF.jpg

I wouldn't call it that, on my car and apparently on your car (first picture) the t-plate mount isn't straight and the t-bar is harder to one side than the other.

AFMiniz
2014.02.22, 10:36 AM
I was using Xpower 6000kv in my MRX. Now I switched to use 5000kv one which provides a even more linear acceleration than 6000kv one. Very smooth and like the feeling of driving with a 50T motor. Suitable for someone who are looking for stable driving style.

WorldClassZ
2014.02.22, 11:14 AM
These X-Power parts sure are nice but I just priced out a full MR03 rebuild with X-Power hop-ups and ... Ouch!
It makes for a killer pricey car.

cowboysir
2014.02.22, 02:30 PM
These X-Power parts sure are nice but I just priced out a full MR03 rebuild with X-Power hop-ups and ... Ouch!
It makes for a killer pricey car.

Especially since the only original part is the cf chassis I have a real problem giving money to copycats

EMU
2014.02.24, 05:00 PM
Especially since the only original part is the cf chassis I have a real problem giving money to copycats

But the best part about this chassis, is that it has compatibility with existing MR03 parts... Only a few of their early parts were copied parts, many of their other parts improve on existing designs, and show a good deal of ingenuity...

cowboysir
2014.02.24, 06:01 PM
I don't doubt that the cf chassis is their best offering and shows ingenuity. From reviews that have been posted it sure does seems to be a step up in mod class racing...I certainly like the idea of ballast placement to tune the type of grip a racer looks for.

That being said, I still don't see myself purchasing from them. It may just be me but I feel there have been some mini z trend setters that have designed excellent hop ups and XPower has used this to their unfair advantage. I don't mind others shopping with them....it's just my personal view.

EMU
2014.02.24, 07:51 PM
Every Mini-Z company has copied a part from another... The newer companies dont have to go through as many of the poorly implemented products as the ones early into the scene... I have seen just about all full line Mini-Z hop up companies copy a part from a different company in the time that I have been racing Mini-Z. And rebadging parts that were bought directly from the supplier of another hop up manufacturer...

If you look at the X-Power MR-03 lineup; http://www.x-powerrc.com/product_cate_list.php?nid=56 only the DDS, top shock and differential could really be considered a 'copy'. But in reality, how much different can you make them, or do you need to make them... What works, works, and there is little that you can do to work around that. Sure, it would be nice to have a completely different top shock, or DDS style with the same performance. But at this size, there is only a small amount you can do to have a complete lineup of hop ups for a chassis.

In general, X-power parts have had the tightest tolerances in machining in any alloy part that I have used. I am VERY impressed with the attention to detail and quality of their parts. I am sure machining in 7075 has helped this, since you need to use a harder bit in the CNC, and it is probably changed more often. I have seen some sloppy 6061 parts from reputable companies where it looked like the bit should have been replaced a run before. Edges that should have been sharp were round, and things didnt line up quite right. This is not directed to any one specific company, but to a few examples that I have seen and have of multiple products of the same model, that are visibly different.

Sure X-power is expensive, but I have yet to see a poor quality part locally, and havent read about people having parts that were machined poorly. I have seen nothing but high quality machining and materials used.

Now with that said. If a part is a good part, buy it. Dont fight another manufacturers war for them. You may have only been fed their view point. You are the customer, you have the power of choosing where and what you spend your money on. Don't feel pressured to by one manufacturers product over another's for fear of ridicule or exclusion.

arch2b
2014.02.24, 08:28 PM
that sounds dangerously close to rational, practical thought :p i've said as much in MANY long and pointed conversations on that subject, which i don't care to revive:)

imxlr8ed
2014.02.24, 09:03 PM
I could easily go downstairs and start to draw up all kinds of so-called ripoffs but if I can't think of something that does one thing better for the particular part I'm designing... It just feels like a failed effort from the get-go.

Blatant mimicry of an existing part is just wrong in my book, but as with all things in the universe... the best will always win out in the long run.

This chassis is something that is kinda new, so I'm cool with it. From what I've heard and read, it seems to do it's job. But as I've said in the past, if I see a podium filled with racers who chose this chassis, I would become a believer.

machgo5go
2014.02.26, 06:21 AM
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1623583_10152025653418845_1287812385_n.jpg
When you got almost everything Mini Z out there, why not.
This one is a good challenge especially there is no dedicate front end so far can keep up with the Rear planned traction this chassis generate which I see in few buyers. Great to start recycling your Mini Z junk box in test & tune!;)

scoobyrs25
2014.07.12, 01:50 AM
I've owned this chassis for months and love it. I'll see if I can post a pic later.

DMALMAD
2014.07.12, 11:16 PM
It is a fantastic car. Here in NJ at Majsrc practically everyone in the A-main runs this and only one car wasn't running lipo. there are a few bugs with it like the spacing of the t-bar but it is really effective and easy to use. A couple of brave racers rewired their stock 03 chassis to run lipo and dremeled the chassis to accomadate different packs and are just as competitive but the ease of use of the mrx plus the pn double a-arm suspension is a killer combo. We run on carpet with the x-power foams and it is a completely new level of racing. Even on rcp one of the drivers from here went down to south carolina for a cup race and did very well but there was some unfair play by the locals:( and he got second. Either way in the right hands this chassis is by far the biggest improvement in mini-z since the double a-arm, even surpassing it. There has been some talk about x-power being copycats but they make quality parts and their tires are actually consistent unlike other manufacturers :eek: but thats another topic

scoobyrs25
2014.07.13, 12:42 AM
Which compound foam do you use on carpet?

DMALMAD
2014.07.13, 11:05 AM
Very soft in the rear and medium soft in the front but the front sidewalls need to be glued and all tires need to be trued to race height and the sidewalls need to be maintained so that the car doesn't push or flip.