PDA

View Full Version : PN Alu pinion

tudor_47
2013.12.05, 02:42 AM
PN has released aluminium pinion gears for 64 and 126 pitch.
http://www.kenonhobby.com/PN-Racing-Mini-Z-7075-Alloy-S3-Pinion-64P-12T_p_45064.html

http://www.kenonhobby.com/PN-Racing-Mini-Z-7075-Alloy-S3-Pinion-126P-24T_p_45073.html

anyone tryed them?

Sinister_Y
2013.12.05, 08:00 AM
they're waiting at the shop for me when we open this Saturday. I can post some feedback then. However, without actually using them, I'll say this product definately is needed. At our shop/track, there are guys stripping pinions as they do get loose over time (the fit between the motor shaft and inside of plastic pinion), so this product will definately satisfy our needs. Also, since the PN (brushless) motor armature shaft is not completely round (i.e. there is a flat machined side), the pinions should grab sufficiently to prevent stripping. Just make sure to use locktite on the grub screw.

arch2b
2013.12.05, 02:23 PM
interested to know if these are more durable than the current line of metal pinions.

yasuji
2013.12.06, 10:40 AM
interested to know if these are more durable than the current line of metal pinions.
i didnt know that pnracing made metal pinions for 64p and 126p before this...
as for the newest pinions..they work great...and a mist have for the brushless motors the spin true and i gotta say that for 126p... my delrin pinion would last 2 BATTERY PACKS before stripping on my ve... i have driven my aluminum for more than 6 days now

Sinister_Y
2013.12.09, 09:42 AM
Pinions worked well for the new PN brushless motors that have a machined flat spot on the shaft. However, for the original 9500kv motor from PN, there is no flat spot. We had to machine (i.e. dremel) the shaft so the grub screw of the pinion would have somewhere to attach to. That said, one guy was able to make his Kyosho stock brushless (round shaft) work with the pinion. That would be due to the stock KYosho brushless having way less torque than aftermarket offerings like PN.

JesseT
2014.03.12, 01:45 AM
i didnt know that pnracing made metal pinions for 64p and 126p before this...
as for the newest pinions..they work great...and a mist have for the brushless motors the spin true and i gotta say that for 126p... my delrin pinion would last 2 BATTERY PACKS before stripping on my ve... i have driven my aluminum for more than 6 days now

My strong belief is that it's most offen a flexing motor pod issue. Almost none of the mounts currently out there is designed for the torque of the most powerful motors. At Z-racers many run a reinforced version of the PN reconfigurable mount and we can get 1-2 months of lifetime from a delrin 126pitch pinion. In the end, the tooth profile wears out and the pinion starts to make sounds which is annoying.