PDA

View Full Version : February 22, 2014 - Kyosho Stock

arch2b
2013.12.15, 10:14 AM
This will be held at Hobby Works, Fairfax, VA

we will be running HFAY # in order to get practice for HFAY S17 race 5 and 6 in March.

https://www.howfastareyou.com/hfayprod/static/uploads/tracks.printablepicture.b9234bde04570f3c.484641592 d747261636b2d325f7072696e74696e672e6a7067.jpg

arch2b
2014.02.12, 11:18 PM
cycle your batteries, check your tires, get ready for a day of fun and banter :p i've tested my new Audi R8 and it's running good. a little bit bumpy but holds the track well.

arch2b
2014.02.18, 03:52 PM
just a reminder to get prepped for racing this saturday!

we will have 3 more drivers for stock class and i know Kris will be joining for HFAY as well.

byebye
2014.02.18, 08:45 PM
just a reminder to get prepped for racing this saturday!

we will have 3 more drivers for stock class and i know Kris will be joining for HFAY as well.

YUP YUP! I need to get that diff piece ordered. I'm really loving the strict rules for stock class. It's a drivers race ;)

arch2b
2014.02.19, 01:22 PM
it certainly was Monday :cool: all 4 of us were staying consistent and nearly identical speeds. it will be really fun to see qualifying settle out with the added numbers in the group :D always nice to shake up the normal standings a bit.

would anyone be interested in a points series for our stock class (novice/sportsman)? i'm thinking it would be fun to offer small prizes for the novice class in particular. it's nice not to worry about standings and the need for a motive to race but at the same time i'm sure the kids would get a kick out of winning something, even if just small things like new tires or wheels. nothing more than say $10. I'm willing to chip in for a for a prize(s) for sportsman class as well, even if just for tires/wheels again. who doesn't need tires :p

poochy
2014.02.19, 02:14 PM
it certainly was Monday :cool: all 4 of us were staying consistent and nearly identical speeds. it will be really fun to see qualifying settle out with the added numbers in the group :D always nice to shake up the normal standings a bit.

would anyone be interested in a points series for our stock class (novice/sportsman)? i'm thinking it would be fun to offer small prizes for the novice class in particular. it's nice not to worry about standings and the need for a motive to race but at the same time i'm sure the kids would get a kick out of winning something, even if just small things like new tires or wheels. nothing more than say $10. I'm willing to chip in for a for a prize(s) for sportsman class as well, even if just for tires/wheels again. who doesn't need tires :p

sounds good Ray

byebye
2014.02.19, 04:11 PM
I'm game. I do have quit a few spare used bodies. Maybe a grab box for the winner?

arch2b
2014.02.20, 01:21 PM
i would prefer to keep the value low to avoid any complications that come with more expensive rewards. just meant to be fun bonus prize :p

does anyone have 2 straight tiles with rails they can give to HW? i need to steal the 2nd starting line for the I-Lap bridge and need to replace with standard straights. this way i can leave assembled bridges for either timing system on the shelf and they will be simple drop ins.

KWT
2014.02.22, 10:54 PM
Had a lot of fun today. Saw some really close down to the last lap racing. Meet some new people, got shocked by Michael.

Thanks everyone for a great time.

arch2b
2014.02.22, 11:04 PM
wow, what more can i say about the day we had racing today! simply fun, very close and competitive from start to finish :cool:

Austin, Michael traded the lead for novice back and forth the entire time with Michael taking only by 1 lap!

for lack of a better term, i simply call the experienced stock class sportsman. don't read anything into other than it's just the class for those with demonstrated similar level of skill. we had 8 driver so i split it into 2 per main with a bump each main to get to the normal 3 per main for all but the bottom.

I made a goof in setting up the race and forgot to check settings that caused the 1st laps to be counted which skewed the results to a great degree. i don't know how to force ZRound to resort so i manually sorted based on educated guess based on what i saw of the qualifying.

i just happened to be at bottom due to demonstrated skill by others in qualifying, it's a group of very good drivers.

D main started with Ian and myself. Ian volunteered to race with me and really glad it worked out that way because we had a very close race in which i pulled ahead by a single lap to advance to C Main, 122 over 1121.

C main was a very good race as well however K fell behind and graciously let the leaders pass costing him enough laps to have reached 100 i'm sure. after 10 minutes i managed to pull out a 3 lap lead over John advancing to B main, 120 over 117 over 92.

B main was just tuff as nails. Don was nearly flawless the entire race making it nearly impossible to catch up much less move ahead. i managed to take the winning lap only because Don had a mis-step with less than 10 seconds left which allowed me to pass and cross the line first. it was really that close and a really tuff way to advance to A main.

A main, what can i say. i was running with Bill which means automatically i was fighting for 2nd place with Kris, who i know wasn't going to give it away. watching bill catch you and pass you knowing your running at your best is both humbling and awe inspiring at the same time. there were many laps where Kris and bill were running neck and neck positions along the track while at the same time not wrecking and that is a beauty of a thing to watch. in the end, bill walked away with it amassing 132 laps leaving Kris and i to fight for 2nd, which Kris earned pulling in 2 more laps than myself, 125 over 123. after 40 minutes of racing and 485 laps, it was one of the best racing days i've had in recent memory. beauty of stock class is that there is minimal visible wear to tires, etc. my motor stunk badly but nothing some rest and care can't mend before next time :p

what makes our Kyosho Stock Class so enjoyable is the rules really make it a drivers race where a simple mis-step like dragging a rail can make the difference in position at the end. it's just plain fun and thrilling when running neck and neck over countless laps.

i could not leave out our pure fun run of 90mm Open class. unless you've run 90mm at fast as you can speeds with many others, you can't really explain the smiles it creates. it's challenging, skillful and at times takes a bit of luck. i will note Bill took the lead in prepping his 90mm with our upcoming 86mm lotus demonstrating that you really can make a rocket out of an 86mm and i think proved to everyone it's possible to run 86mm and be just as fun as 90mm. Kris managed to pull out the win with 102 over Bill's 101 with an mr-02 and stock parts which included an ear foam damper wedge. it rolled all over and off the track when Kris let it. Ian and myself ran neck and neck for portions of the race that were pure enjoyment. i love getting into a groove with another car following, neck and neck, passing, falling back behind over and over.

the day wrapped up with some of the novice drivers running personal challenge races which were fun. it really is a great time when you get to share it with your kid(s). there was also a jam session with a buggy ripping around with cars in practice.

today was also our debut of using i-lap. while i still have some bugs to work out, i think it worked with a much higher degree of accuracy than Giro-z. the nearly instantaneous audible detection instilled much greater confidence as well. the transponders are slightly bigger making it more work to fit in tight bodies like the 599xx, i think it was well worth it. i apologize for the added cost it created for everyone in purchasing transponders but the confidence in accuracy and no need to worry about numbers is a relief as well. thankfully i had enough transponders to go around and everyone who needed one had one. i will check into getting another batch when funds permit as i'm going to need loaners i'm sure. i took the bridge channel back with me so i can make it permanent and separate from the giro-z bridge. need to remind Kris to bring 2 straight tiles for practice Monday to maintain 2 wide L tile counts for HFAY to replace the 2nd starting line i took for the bridge.

i want to thank you all for coming out and making the day great fun. I know Kris and jeremy have some pictures.

byebye
2014.02.24, 05:33 AM
I'm glad you recapped because I would have said the same thing Ray:cool:. I had an awesome day of racing. It was great meeting K and all the kids look like they had a great time racing.

There was some really close racing which led to an exciting end of the B-main. I see tougher races in hfay with Poochy and Saijin(sp?).

Off topic-I managed to get my two car buddies to buy in yesterday. They picked up the last 458 and sports kit. We ran yesterday here at my house and they are hooked:D. I hope they make it out to either HFAY or the next stock race.

Thanks again Ray for putting on another great event.

Kris

novaraca
2014.02.24, 11:20 AM
That was a fun day of racing!

Thank you all!

TheRinger
2014.02.26, 03:41 AM
It was a great day. Seen some old and new faces. I do have to agree that box stock class is very enjoyable that it goes back to basics and is more of a drivers game rather then money. The kids are definitely picking up on their skills. And once again, Ray worked his way up to the A-main and I have to say that the B-main race was awesome. And I have to say it was a great day. Didn't want to cut the day short but I had to steal parts from my 90mm car to try out the lotus set up which I'm looking forward to racing so I didn't have a 90mm set up at the moment, and my girlfriend was in for the weekend and my aunt was dog sitting for us so we had to go. And hopefully Sejin and Don ( hopefully I got your names right):o will be back for more racing in the future. Well it's 3am I need to try to sleep goodnight.

Mike Keely
2014.02.26, 08:24 PM
i would prefer to keep the value low to avoid any complications that come with more expensive rewards. just meant to be fun bonus prize :p

does anyone have 2 straight tiles with rails they can give to HW? i need to steal the 2nd starting line for the I-Lap bridge and need to replace with standard straights. this way i can leave assembled bridges for either timing system on the shelf and they will be simple drop ins.

Ray. WE have plenty. We have the checkered tiles also if you want them.