PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth ICS DIY

TheSteve
2014.02.24, 10:45 PM
Assembled my own bluetooth ICS interface today. It works with the free software available for Android phones.

play_google_com/store/apps/details?id=jp.bagworm.ve.ics&hl=en

I have tested it with MR03's and MR03VE's so far.

The adapter is one I bought off of ebay, many people sell similar adapters, generally around 6 bucks shipped. The specific one I used is ebay # 370999421767

There is no programming needed to use the BT adapter but I did some fun stuff with it and changed the name that appears when pairing from "HC-06" to "Mini-Z BT ICS".

The BT interface has 4 connections, ground, Vcc(power), tx and rx. Just like the DIY usb and serial adapters the tx and rx need to be combined into a single wire. I tried using the USB mod of just sticking a diode between tx and rx but that wouldn't work. In the end I needed to add two resistors and the diode. The diode can be a 1n914 or 1n4148 or almost any generic silicone diode. The two resistors I used are 22K and 180 ohms.

I don't feel like firing up any official software so here is a quick and dirty diagram showing how it is connected:

KWT
2014.02.24, 11:17 PM
Thanks for sharing

TheSteve
2014.02.24, 11:30 PM
Updated the diagram, has all needed info to build it. If you tour ebay you will see lots of the BT boards. If you don't buy the one I referenced above make sure you get one that has the extra board. You can see there is the BT board and it is soldered to a larger board which has a voltage regulator on it, an LED and the interface pins. The regulator is required.
The 180 ohm resistor and diode are used to get the data levels correct and connect tx and rx together. The 22K resistor is needed so the MiniZ will go into ICS mode when the bind button is pushed and power is turned on, without it you only get bind mode. There are two different BT software packages on the play store, a regular and a VE one, there doesn't seem to be any point to the regular one as the VE one has the MR02/MR03/AWD/dnano and the VE.

So happy I dumped all my apple and have a nice Android phone now.

byebye
2014.02.25, 05:59 AM
What about the 3 pin plug? Is that on ebay?

byebye
2014.02.25, 06:04 AM
Updated the diagram, has all needed info to build it. If you tour ebay you will see lots of the BT boards. If you don't buy the one I referenced above make sure you get one that has the extra board. You can see there is the BT board and it is soldered to a larger board which has a voltage regulator on it, an LED and the interface pins. The regulator is required.
The 180 ohm resistor and diode are used to get the data levels correct and connect tx and rx together. The 22K resistor is needed so the MiniZ will go into ICS mode when the bind button is pushed and power is turned on, without it you only get bind mode. There are two different BT software packages on the play store, a regular and a VE one, there doesn't seem to be any point to the regular one as the VE one has the MR02/MR03/AWD/dnano and the VE.

So happy I dumped all my apple and have a nice Android phone now.

Is this what I am looking for? Micro JST 1.25 3-Pin Connector

KWT
2014.02.25, 06:35 AM

I ordered the plugs and pins for the 4 pin connector on the kyosho side. I also have a crimper that should work. If you order the bluetooth card, I will have everything else to mod it.

TheSteve
2014.02.25, 11:53 AM
The 3 or 4 pin will work. I had a 3 pin in stock so I used it. If you want to buy them off ebay you can check out this auction ID(share them with your friends!) - 181333243923

btw, if you use this auction be sure to check the wiring order. The colors are not in the proper config for MiniZ if you want the colors to match.

arch2b
2014.02.25, 12:16 PM
I ordered the plugs and pins for the 4 pin connector on the kyosho side. I also have a crimper that should work. If you order the bluetooth card, I will have everything else to mod it.

K, Kris, for our group i ordered 4 of the adapters, i only need 1. lets plan on a build party next month. :p i would have ordered enough for everyone but was in a rush this morning.

gctkaz
2014.02.25, 12:53 PM
Thanks for posting, Steve. I have one or two of these BT adapters kicking around as well as 4-pin connectors from local supply. My connectors are also incorrectly coloured but it's easy enough to lift plastic retainers with a knife and swap the wires around.

TheSteve
2014.02.25, 01:00 PM
Thanks for posting, Steve. I have one or two of these BT adapters kicking around as well as 4-pin connectors from local supply. My connectors are also incorrectly coloured but it's easy enough to lift plastic retainers with a knife and swap the wires around.

Excellent, I expect to see a working version at the next meet! I'll also have mine of course...

Also ordered a second one to play with. I may further optimize the resistor values if I see any improvement of data levels on my scope. So far in the current config it has never failed to read or write though on any of my cars.

byebye
2014.02.25, 04:50 PM
K, Kris, for our group i ordered 4 of the adapters, i only need 1. lets plan on a build party next month. :p i would have ordered enough for everyone but was in a rush this morning.

Ok sounds good. I was going to order up parts but looks like we may have everything.

I can bring my soldering iron and heat shrink.

TheSteve
2014.02.25, 04:57 PM
btw, if anyone has a 3.3 volt ttl serial interface you can use it to power up the bluetooth board and change the broadcast name through a terminal program. You can also change the pairing number from 1234 to whatever you want. If you guys have a bunch of them it might be a nice option to have different names.

You can find the command list here:

mcuoneclipse com/2013/06/19/using-the-hc-06-bluetooth-module/

KWT
2014.02.25, 08:14 PM

I have everything else on order. I also have crimpers.

gctkaz
2014.02.26, 12:03 AM
Excellent, I expect to see a working version at the next meet!
There only needs to be one at the track :p Also, at this time it looks like I might not be at the next meet. I would still like to purchase an extra transponder from you the next time I do show up though.

Anyway, I put one together, mine wasn't quite the same module. Didn't work. I changed the device name and baud rate via Arduino, paired the module with my phone, but the Android app can't establish the ICS connection. I'm guessing my levels are wrong, but I am not equipped to test.

I don't have exact resistor values on hand so I have about 22.2K between TXD on the breakout and pin 12 (3.3V) of the BT module itself, and about 175 between the diode and RXD.

One thing I should add, my module specifies 3.6V-6V operation. Do I even need those 180 Ohms?

TheSteve
2014.02.26, 12:07 AM
You could try nothing more then the diode between tx and rx. Be sure the bt module is programmed for 9600 8,n,1.
The module I am using runs at 3.3 volts, the 180 ohm resistor is simply to get the data level correct. If you have a different BT module its drive characteristics may be different.

This is a picture of my completed module, I am using smt parts. The 180 ohm resistor and diode are on the bottom of the board. The 22K resistor is on the top of the board. There is a capacitor with 3.3 volts on it very close to the tx pin so I use that as my 3.3 volt supply

http://thesteve.ca/mini-z-bt-ics-l.jpg

arch2b
2014.02.26, 12:34 PM
where did you get the clear heat shrink?

TheSteve
2014.02.26, 01:20 PM
where did you get the clear heat shrink?

Local electronics store, I am sure it is on ebay as well.

arch2b
2014.02.26, 01:29 PM
i've bought stuff from RS and it's not the best quality stuff to work with. the wrap you used looks crystal clear and looks to form nicely. great presentation of your work :)

TheSteve
2014.02.26, 02:42 PM
You want the thicker stuff, it stays flexible after it has been shrunk. You can also pinch it nicely when hot and form it and/or use it as strain relief.

I use all of this stuff at work pretty much daily so it is generally easy for me to get, makes projects like this quick and easy.

gctkaz
2014.02.26, 08:04 PM
You could try nothing more then the diode between tx and rx. Be sure the bt module is programmed for 9600 8,n,1.
Thanks, removing the resistors didn't work, but there are still more options for me to try. I think I'll go back to breadboard testing rather than going right ahead and putting everything together permanently like I assumed it would work off the bat.

You said you were using a HC-06 module, I think this is what I have but I can't find the command for setting such specifics for the baud. All I did was "AT+BAUD4" which sets baud rate to 9600, but I'm not sure what that did with the stop and parity and such. The module did not respond to AT+UART=whatever, which seems to be a HC-05 command?

TheSteve
2014.02.26, 08:17 PM
If you type "AT" you should get a response of "OK" if everything is working properly with your level converter. You may only one 1 minute to enter commands after power on. There is also one other "catch" I read about. The entire string needs to be sent in under 1 second. You may need to use a cut&paste approach or a terminal program which allows you to assemble and then send a packet.

Also, ensure the Mini-Z really is in ICS mode - power it on with the bind button pushed. When you let go of the bind button the red LED must stay on solid, if it is blinking then it is in bind mode and not ICS mode.

KWT
2014.03.14, 08:54 PM
I got mine working but it gets write failed errors reported on the program but it actually writes fine. The VE version of the software doesn't work with no VE chassis for me. The regular version of the program works fine except for the error msg I get.

TheSteve
2014.03.15, 12:31 AM
I'm waiting for my second one to arrive(it will probably be another 2 weeks). When I receive it I plan to see if the module can be connected using only 2 resistors and no diode. I'd like to optimize the values as much as possible for the cleanest looking data on an oscilloscope. I have used my current module several times though with no errors.

Bodom
2014.03.18, 06:51 PM
Thank you Steve for this thread!

I got mine working too. For the record I used 18Kohm instead of 22K and 200ohm instead of 180 :) (this is what I got around)

I got mine working but it gets write failed errors reported on the program but it actually writes fine. The VE version of the software doesn't work with no VE chassis for me. The regular version of the program works fine except for the error msg I get.

Here the same result KWT. Reading is OK, but I get writing errors, and it actually writes..

Greetings :p

LED
2014.03.19, 03:05 PM
Hey Steve

My board looks different. So just to be sure, the 22K resistor is connected to a 3.3V source?

thx

TheSteve
2014.03.19, 03:39 PM
Hey Steve

My board looks different. So just to be sure, the 22K resistor is connected to a 3.3V source?

thx

That is correct.

LED
2014.03.19, 04:38 PM
That is correct.

Thx. After soldering the diode the correct way (you check, double check and tripple check and still do it wrong...) it is working. No errors.

TheSteve
2014.03.19, 05:03 PM
Excellent to hear.

I am wondering if the errors some people report may not be related to the bluetooth interface but perhaps the Android version they are using. The bluetooth stack is not the same between the various versions of Android. I am using Kitkat 4.4.2 on a Moto X. I have also tried a Nexus 7 2013 running 4.4.2 with no errors while writing.

LED
2014.03.19, 05:47 PM
I'm running 2.3.7 on a HTC desire. Old phone with a custom rom from Mildwild.

KWT
2014.03.19, 09:59 PM
Running 4.2.2 on my LG G2

KWT
2014.03.25, 10:08 PM
So I built 4 more of these for people at the DC club and I found out that they didn't product an error with one chassis. The person there said it was a newer chassis. His chassis also auto selected to the correct version, the other chassis didn't.

TheSteve
2014.03.26, 12:42 AM
Sounds like good info - all of my MR03s/MA015s are the newest rev with tiki tiki or mr03ve's. No errors of course. Perhaps the software isn't as forgiving with the older boards.

AM03GT
2014.09.09, 09:50 PM
Thx for the info links and schematic. I made one for my mr03 and it works. I also get the error on writing but it does actually complete the data write...

TheSteve
2014.09.10, 01:44 AM
Thx for the info links and schematic. I made one for my mr03 and it works. I also get the error on writing but it does actually complete the data write...

Good times!!!

ianc
2014.10.17, 09:54 PM
If you don't buy the one I referenced above make sure you get one that has the extra board. You can see there is the BT board and it is soldered to a larger board which has a voltage regulator on it, an LED and the interface pins. The regulator is required.

Hmmm... Looks like I've screwed up (yet again).

Steve, can you take a look at these pics and confirm it for me? I don't think this board is going to work...

http://cdn1.share.slickpic.com/u/IanCampbell/MiniZ/org/20141017_174803/web.jpg

http://cdn1.share.slickpic.com/u/IanCampbell/MiniZ/org/20141017_174936/web.jpg

Thanks Steve... :confused:

ianc

TheSteve
2014.10.18, 02:26 AM
That is the regulator board but you don't have the bluetooth module itself. So you're right, it isn't going to work.

ianc
2014.10.20, 06:41 PM
Argghhh - The item's description on the bay was "JY-MCU V1.02pro Serial Bluetooth Interface Board Bluetooth Module new".

Better luck next time. Thanks Steve,

ianc

TheSteve
2014.10.20, 06:50 PM
Yeah, that is a bummer, hopefully it was only a dollar or two. I did make a few of them for the local crowd and still have two spares if you decide you want one fully assembled/tested/working.

ianc
2014.10.20, 07:30 PM
still have two spares if you decide you want one fully assembled/tested/working.

I think that sounds like an excellent idea! Much more palatable that hunting around for the right pieces and wondering if the @!#$% thing's going to work when I'm done.

PM me your shipped price and Paypal address and let's do it!

ianc

rojak
2016.04.08, 10:45 PM
Hi,
My board type like below, where to solder 22k resistor?
http://cdn.instructables.com/FLP/2YI3/HX6ARQKC/FLP2YI3HX6ARQKC.MEDIUM.jpg
thanks in advance

arch2b
2017.05.01, 10:03 PM
The 3 or 4 pin will work. I had a 3 pin in stock so I used it. If you want to buy them off ebay you can check out this auction ID(share them with your friends!) - 181333243923

btw, if you use this auction be sure to check the wiring order. The colors are not in the proper config for MiniZ if you want the colors to match.

Do you have a part number for the ICS port plug?

TheSteve
2017.05.02, 03:32 AM
Do you have a part number for the ICS port plug?

Sorry I don't. I haven't looked into these for a few years now.

arch2b
2017.05.02, 07:35 AM
found the answer: JST ZHR-4