PDA

View Full Version : where am I missing it, mr03 and mr03sport?s

BiLLy bOb
2014.03.21, 06:30 PM
Hello,
Completely new to mini z's but trying to learn and figure them out. Biggest problem for me so far is the mr03. whats the difference in the mr03 and the more inexpensive mr03sport which includes the TX? Looking into buying one or more:eek: and trying to figure out which way to go. Definitely leaning towards the 03sports because each car has to have a TX.
Thanks
Louie

arch2b
2014.03.21, 06:55 PM
the sports series is a less expensive model. it's billed as an entry level ready set kit vs. the more standard arr chassis set kits that leaves you to pick your flavor of transmitter.

the mr-03 sports series PCB and transmitter IS NOT compatible with the standard line mr-03 PCB and transmitter.

FHS sports series (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39328)

ASF standard series (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26414)

BiLLy bOb
2014.03.21, 07:46 PM
Thanks for explaining the difference on the electronics. The best I can tell and from memory, these bugers use the Ko propo radios don't they? none of the different Z's are compatible with spectrum dx series radios, right?

So, Im also assuming now that the actual chassis, drivetrain are the same between the 03 and 03 sport.

Sorry for what are probably dumb questions to you but i've always been a 1/24 tamtech follower from WAYYYYYY back. i was super glueing model car tires onto the tamtech wheels when the Z's came out simply because my hobby shops said they couldn't get foams anymore from tammy.
Thanks
Louie

cowboysir
2014.03.21, 07:57 PM
Thanks for explaining the difference on the electronics. The best I can tell and from memory, these bugers use the Ko propo radios don't they? none of the different Z's are compatible with spectrum dx series radios, right?

So, Im also assuming now that the actual chassis, drivetrain are the same between the 03 and 03 sport.

Sorry for what are probably dumb questions to you but i've always been a 1/24 tamtech follower from WAYYYYYY back. i was super glueing model car tires onto the tamtech wheels when the Z's came out simply because my hobby shops said they couldn't get foams anymore from tammy.
Thanks
Louie

You could build your own MR02 or MR03 with spectrum DSM2 compatibility (the newer radios not the older ones) by getting the electronics through kenon hobby. If you have a newer spectrum radio that runs dsm2 you could build a kit for about the same price as a rtr sport series.

mleemor60
2014.03.21, 08:20 PM
Assuming of course that you already have or have access to the moderately important bits that aren't provided with the PM conversion.

arch2b
2014.03.21, 08:43 PM
never a dumb question :p

BiLLy bOb
2014.03.21, 08:47 PM
as of now, i don't even own a mini z yet and i have retired my tamtechs to shelf queens. i'm looking at multiple cars that must have radios.

I'm getting ready to retire in the Philippines from Tn. I want a micro car to play with for me and i know i will *most likely* need at least a 2nd one for my youngest daughter. i've been eyeballing the atomic amz awd micro but can't seem to swallow it yet. the problem comes, if BOTH my daughters like them, then im up to buying 3 already that need to have TX's. cousins/inlaws after i move i'm POSITIVE will want to drive some so a few extra there, especially after i get the G gauge train set up outside. plus i got 6 losi micro crawlers and trekkers. a town for the train has been in the plans for a few years however, a town can not function with rock crawlers only, so it will need some cars. each car I buy will need its own complete radio system. thats why i asked if any of them were compatible with spectrums because based on my experiences over the years, Ko propo has never been inexpensive. i couldn't seem to find anything that could tell me the specific differences in the 03 and 03sport. but im starting from scratch with the z cars and they need complete independent TX/RC cars (no sharing tx's) so they may be run at the same time, its sounding like it makes best sense to go with the sport series since it is ready to go. i guess its the cheap bum in me just wanting to avoid getting into the Ko propo radio systems which is pushing me towards the sport series.

i already have 3 of the mini z motocycles. cool lil buggers there. they fit in pretty well with my tammy 18wheelers and tanks. I just have NO experience or knowledge on the Z cars.
Thanks for all the help yall.
louie

BiLLy bOb
2014.03.21, 08:59 PM
never a dumb question :p

ahhh sir you don't me yet.:rolleyes: after i ask it the 3rd time, yes its dumb. haha:D was going to town few days ago, asked wife 3 different times in a 17mile drive if she wanted a decaf or ice coffee at mc donalds. my memory is pretty bad. :(

arch2b
2014.03.21, 09:10 PM
Buy cheap chassis set and sell off the PCB. Buy the PN dsm2 pcb if compatible with your preferred transmitter system. You end up with cars you want and recoup some of the conversion cost by selling asf or FHS sports series parts. You can build piece meal on a budget if you want.

BiLLy bOb
2014.03.21, 10:12 PM
so the chassis is all the same, only the pcb is diffferent and the sport comes with tx. correct?

does the MR-03 have the plug for lights like the 03sport?

been reasearching and it appears that my dx3c is dsm, not dsm2. can not seem to find the info on the losi stuff. as long as they have been around, i assume their dsm also.:(

arch2b
2014.03.21, 11:14 PM
the chassis is the same regardless of the board type for the mr-03, be it DSM2, ASF or FHS.

each board has differences in features however. the sports series for example does not have the same accessory ports that the ASF does. both can use light sets but FHS does not support power to the same port in the same way ASF does. i have not seen or read in depth reports on what the DSM2 board provides. Yes, you can plug lights into the ASF or FHS board and more than likely the DSM2.

price out the various options and choose which ever most efficiently gets you to your goal. a little work up front may save you a lot of time and frustration later, if not money as well. i ran the numbers (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39313&page=3&highlight=sports+series+upgrade) some time ago myself and it showed that for me, the sports series was not a savings long term, just up front. this may not be the case for you or others. an informed decision will be a better decision :cool:

BiLLy bOb
2014.03.21, 11:49 PM
t
price out the various options and choose which ever most efficiently gets you to your goal. a little work up front may save you a lot of time and frustration later, if not money as well. i ran the numbers (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39313&page=3&highlight=sports+series+upgrade) some time ago myself and it showed that for me, the sports series was not a savings long term, just up front. this may not be the case for you or others. an informed decision will be a better decision :cool:

your exactly right. everybody has different needs. thats why i'm trying to get a decent idea in my poor little head about it so hopefully i'll make a good decision.

a 03 chassis, then tires, then wheels, another $100 for board, then have to sell stock board and come up with TX since mine won't bind from what i'm researching and learning from yall.

03sport, choose body style ((several my girl likes)), install batterys and go. (even though it will be very comfortable to hold based on my Z motos tx, the downside is an orphan of a radio system)

since the chassis are the same, its nitpicking stuff (correct wheel offset, body mounts, motor position, wheelbase etc) to properly mount different bodys?

arch2b
2014.03.22, 09:42 PM
the core chassis is identical, the wheelbase, track width, etc. to accommodate specific autoscales is all interchangeable with stock parts, which come with most kits and are not difficult to swap out.

BiLLy bOb
2014.03.22, 10:33 PM
Thanks for your patience great and wise master!:phaha the force is not strong in this one.

I really appreciate all yall's help getting me over the hurdle of basics i wasnt able to get before.
Louie

arch2b
2014.03.23, 02:29 PM
Looks like your running 3 scenarios

1. Buy any chassis and new dsm compatible radio with PCB, sell stock PCB. The dsm PCB and transmitter are as low as $200 with $75-100 recouped in sale of stock PCB and or transmitter.

2. But sports series with the knowledge that it's a dead end regarding PCB and transmitter and any future upgrade will be a minimum $200 cost for new PCB and transmitter.

3 buy ASF kit and transmitter if needed and have capacity to expand in the future depending on transmitter selected. You can still swap to DSM this way as well in the future if desired but upfront cost is going to be higher than FHS sports series.

Iwaver bodies are not the same diecast level of detail as they are single piece shells but they are durable and fit well.

mleemor60
2014.03.23, 03:11 PM
A possible fourth scenario is if you are going to be actually competing with your purchase then the 1-3 variables apply. If, however you and friends or family are just going to be Sunday driving through a model railroad layout then it really doesn't matter if you go Sport, ASF, DSM or even 27Meg's for that matter. It will all depend on budget constraints and or personal preference. So. Let your conscience be your guide and have fun.

BiLLy bOb
2014.03.23, 04:29 PM
i've never had aspirations to be a competitive racer. best i'd ever hope for is to run around a track with friends for fun.

Once I get moved to Philippines, our running will be family and friends whenever we want to get together and run through traintown, or a thrown together track when the garage floor is cleaned. biggest issue being, is whatever number of cars we end up with in the end, i'll need a transmitter for each one. none of the family over there has ever had anything like this so its all Greekineese to them.

I was considering the posibilities of dsm/spectrum compatibility because my tamiya big rig is running one so maybe i could use it on my personal car.

what radios are compatible besides the KOpropo with the mr03 in 2.4g?

I love the glitchless 2.4 systems, so i'm really trying to stay away from the old am systems. i'd like to stay with the mr03 chassis because it is a fit all (with proper parts, with maybe an acceptation of the bmw mini/abrath/fiat bodys) chassis regardless of body. I ****think***** i saw reference that the mr02 are the older cars. So for a newb starting fresh getting 1 or more, i think it'd be wise ((for supply of replacement parts in future)) to go with the mr03 chassis.

cowboysir
2014.03.23, 04:38 PM
You can modify certain Futaba radios to use the KO module and function with Mini-Z.

I think Airtronics M8/M11 also can use KO modules with some mods.

You may want to read the spec sheet for your DX3C...I believe that is DSM2 compatible so you may be able to run the PN board in a chassis.

BiLLy bOb
2014.03.23, 05:17 PM
You may want to read the spec sheet for your DX3C...I believe that is DSM2 compatible so you may be able to run the PN board in a chassis.

Thank you sir, I'll have to see if my manual is even around here. Wife has a tendency to throw stuff out if i don't move it once every 2 weeks or so. :eek:

KWT
2014.03.23, 07:06 PM
One thing you mentioned was that you already have the mini-z motocycles, they use the same transmitters as the sports series.

BiLLy bOb
2014.03.23, 08:18 PM
One thing you mentioned was that you already have the mini-z motocycles, they use the same transmitters as the sports series.

yup, got 3 of the bikes. just finished up a my first ever video. my 5yo is running it in video. she has run it a total of 3 minutes before i turned video on. the TX for the bikes are very comfortable to me. steering wheel is kindly funky with the flat bottom but other than that, its very comfy for me, and Annie (5yo) doesn't have any issues with the tx being too big for her.

heres a quick link to annie driving if ya wanna check her out. she's my little sidekick. sorry bout quality, auto focus can only go so fast trying to keep up with this thing.
http://s1131.photobucket.com/user/BiLLybOb_1980/media/anniehidef_zps24def05b.mp4.html

Traveler
2014.03.24, 07:50 AM
From everything you've said, sounds to me the Sports series might be the best choice for you. You might want to check with Herman (a member here that lives in the Philippines) about the cost and availability of these cars there. If you buy there, you won't have to worry about damage/loss in transit.

BiLLy bOb
2014.03.24, 10:08 PM
Thanks man. I thought I sent herman a pm already but going back through my box, its obvious i didn't. thanks for reminding me.
louie