PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC GTG T-shirts?

arch2b
2014.04.11, 06:53 AM
i've often thought about this but never took it anywhere, would anyone beside myself be interested in a t-shirt for our club?

if so, any examples of what you like or thoughts on what you would like to see on it?

anyone have local contact for making these vs. cafepress?

__________________________________________________ _________________________

as this process will be print on demand by each individual, i will need you to email me so that i can distribute the artwork as you will have send it to vendor of your choice, be it screen printing, digital printing or whatever. I will update this list with user requests and status of artwork.

Updates:
arch2b - artwork done - artwork sent - shirt ordered - shirt received
michael - artwork done - artwork sent - shirt ordered - shirt received
TheRinger - artwork done - artwork sent -
briankstan - artwork done - artwork sent -
KWT - artwork done - artwork sent -
austin - artwork done - artwork sent -
byebye - artwork done - artwork sent -
domer99 - artwork done - artwork sent -
BiLLy bOb - artwork done - artwork sent -
dwight - artwork done - artwork sent -
damone - artwork done -
Fisherman - artwork done -

KWT
2014.04.11, 07:42 PM
There's a local guy here that can print them. But it depends on how complicated the design is. I know he has a computer that can cut the iron on design but it's a single color.

byebye
2014.04.13, 10:37 AM
Im interested.

arch2b
2014.04.13, 11:23 AM
anyone have thoughts on graphics? i'm thinking at the very least we need our club logo and something that represents a mini-z. lots of other things would be fun like hobby works logo, mzr logo, maybe even jersey style mzs user name and join date as a number

briankstan
2014.04.14, 11:52 AM
I don't race with your club (but I have once) but I'd be interested in one as well. :)

BiLLy bOb
2014.04.14, 12:45 PM
im with brian, if they are available before i move, I'd like to get 1 or 2 also.

briankstan
2014.04.14, 02:03 PM
We did shirts a couple years ago for our club. here are the graphics we used. they turned out pretty nice and we just did them locally though a screen printing company. small batches cost more per shirt but they weren't really too bad about $20 or less each is all.

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Brian/Shirts/t-shirt.jpg

back graphic
http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Brian/Shirts/SLMZ_T-shirt_Final.jpg

front left chest graphic
http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Brian/Shirts/SLMZ_T-shirt_Front.jpg

KWT
2014.04.14, 08:49 PM
Briankstan,

I don't see any artwork.

briankstan
2014.04.15, 07:29 AM
Briankstan,

I don't see any artwork.

?? I'm seeing them show up in the thread

Maybe visit out club thread here. http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/forum/index.php?topic=576.0

KWT
2014.04.15, 08:29 PM
Sorry not seeing it there either. Just extra space. I'm using Firefox

briankstan
2014.04.16, 10:48 AM
Sorry not seeing it there either. Just extra space. I'm using Firefox I use firefox as well not sure why you aren't seeing them. It has to be something else on your end. I can see them from both my phone and PC web browsers.

anyone else not seeing the pics?

mleemor60
2014.04.16, 11:39 AM
Not visible to me. Just a little box with an "X" in it.

arch2b
2014.04.16, 11:45 AM
broken image link icons.... chrome. i just went to your club forum to see them.

trouble with t-shirt design, i'm never happy with what i come up with. :rolleyes: compared to what i see from others, it just looks boring and bland.

MC3 has a nice shirt as well.

briankstan
2014.04.16, 01:45 PM
I changed the image locations so maybe they'll show now.

Ray, I'm sure they will be happy with whatever you come up with post some designed and let them vote on it. :)

arch2b
2014.04.16, 01:51 PM
What fonts were used? They are easy to read and the stroke/ borders are nicely colored to pop. I could hours on font options alone.

briankstan
2014.04.16, 02:58 PM
What fonts were used? They are easy to read and the stroke/ borders are nicely clothed to pop. I could hours on font options alone.

the "Salt Lake" and "Radio Controlled Racing" font is called: Brush Script Std
the "Mini-Z" font is called: a_RubricaXtCn

I did the stroke offset boarders because they tie in with the club colors and it make them easy to read and also added an accent.

I went with a 3 color design because I liked the look. Most places it will be more expensive the more colors you have, but I liked the look so went with it.

arch2b
2014.04.16, 09:31 PM
how do you get the grey border around the text strokes? i'm self teaching Photoshop so still learning how all this is done :o

briankstan
2014.04.17, 09:01 AM
how do you get the grey border around the text strokes? i'm self teaching Photoshop so still learning how all this is done :o

what I did is after creating the text, you hold down control and select the text in the layer control box to select it, then by selecting "select" "modify" "expand" from the top put in an offset in pixels. then hit control ctrl+Shift+I to invert and use fill (you need to put it on a different layer), then do the offset again to get the width of the boarder you want. Just kind of play around with it that way.

I'm self taught as well so that is how I did it. I don't know if there is a faster way :o if you are going to have the shirt screen printed you'll want to be able to separate the different colors so they can make the color screens for printing.

Hope that helps.

briankstan
2014.04.17, 09:26 AM
here is one I did up really quick, font size is 110, the pixel offset is 15 and the border width is also 15 pixels. I did resize is for posting here though.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34219&stc=1&d=1397744748

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34220&stc=1&d=1397744982

arch2b
2014.04.17, 12:31 PM
it's a nice feature that helps make the text stand out from a background. i'll give it a try tonight. i'm not much of a font snob myself, just so many options out there you can get bogged down in endless changes to find something perfect.

arch2b
2014.04.17, 09:28 PM
having trouble uploading to the gallery tonight so no preview of what i have so far :( not really happy with it yet.

the directions for CS3 photoshop are somewhat different. i have to select the layer, go to select and load selection before modify is enabled. then choose expand, no options as to where, just the pixel size and then click on the layer i want the outline to be placed. i then fill and link it to the correct item so they move and scale together.

arch2b
2014.04.19, 05:19 PM
here is a black short design. thoughts....

dwight
2014.04.19, 09:05 PM
So I will take mine in a large

BiLLy bOb
2014.04.19, 09:22 PM
thats nice, id like at least 2 in XXL, possibly more depending on $$.

byebye
2014.04.20, 04:57 AM
I'm down to buy though I don't have a number.

arch2b
2014.04.20, 08:49 AM
the number was my join date for mzr.

any suggestions for changes?

briankstan
2014.04.20, 11:35 AM
I like the design, the only thing I see that really needs a little work would be the Mini-Z Racer.com logo on the bottom. if you can get the black border around the logo and then the grey outline I think it will pop more and look more similar to the other designs. other than that I think it look really good.

if you are having them made at a place that you can print them so people can have the back changed to their names (driver handle) and custom number that would be great.

I'd order a few for me as well. :)

arch2b
2014.04.20, 12:14 PM
ok, tweaked some text curves, shifted things ever so slightly, etc. also turned off the hobby works logo. that itself has too many colors in it and i don't know how to correct that with a jpg file. they still have not found proper vector files for their logo.

yes, the intention is that each member would be able to order the shirt with their own name/number of choice. i have not even started looking for screen print shops yet.:rolleyes:

the sleeve logo is shown flat for the sake of not wanting to rotate it but would prefer it be on the sleeve to keep the front and back panels clean.

TheRinger
2014.04.20, 01:37 PM
That looks good ray.

briankstan
2014.04.21, 08:22 AM
if you have them screen printed have custom names on the back isn't going to be very cost effective as they make the screens and typically there per screen charge and one for each color.

if you want to have them made with being able to change the names on them it might be a better option to have them printed in some other fashion. might be something to check into.

I really like the last design that you posted. :)

domer99
2014.04.21, 02:52 PM
Wow, looks great, put me on the list!

arch2b
2014.04.21, 09:26 PM
well, got a quote from a local place and it's running $31 each. screen print front and sleeve with decal name and numbers on the back. i'm going to keep shopping as this place has a min. qnty order that is well, larger than out club. any chance you could send me the contact for the place you used brian?

briankstan
2014.04.22, 10:50 AM
well, got a quote from a local place and it's running $31 each. screen print front and sleeve with decal name and numbers on the back. i'm going to keep shopping as this place has a min. qnty order that is well, larger than out club. any chance you could send me the contact for the place you used brian?

I used a local place to get them done, He wasn't very professional and was about 45 days late on delivery. Although in the end they did turn out really nice.

there is another local place that I would recommend called Advanced Apparel here locally, they were my second choice, should have been my first.

I'd look in your area and see if you can find a local company that you could source though.

most places are going to have either a minimum qty order or a discount for higher quantity orders.

arch2b
2014.04.28, 12:52 PM
ok, got a couple more quotes. digital printing this time vs. screen print. this bother anyone?
http://www.customink.com/printing/screen_vs_digital_printing

regular shirt, print front, decal name/numbers on back = $33 i did not get an alternate price for just the front yet

performance sportswear shirt, print front and back = $37 (white only) individual ordered shirts. limit 2 colors.
Performance sportswear shirt, print front and back = $42 limit 2 colors.

is anyone, beside me, interested in name/number on the back? i can always make just front printed shirts available but i always ask for price with name/number as well. i don't always get alternate pricing back. limited to 2 colors and bulk order requires removing of names/numbers so the pricing is off in my opinion.

none of the above include sleeve printing.

not sure why it's so hard to get pricing broken out by options cleanly but i'm getting quotes back that make me do the math. regardless i'l be ordering at least 1 for myself. if i do that i can make sure they are able to order on demand for others.

anyone have a preference for white or black shirt? i prefer black myself as a white shirt would end up looking black after lots of use at the track with all the tire grit, track dust, grease and oils.

arch2b
2014.04.28, 01:27 PM
i've requested number back for the following:

regular black shirt
3 color front/3 color back
i would have to take requests for names/numbers and do the artwork.

regular black shirt
3 color front only

sports white shirt
2 color front/2 color back

sports white shirt
2 color front only

sports black shirt
2 color front/2 color black
i would have to take requests for names/numbers and do the artwork.
i would have to order a min. 12

sports black shirt
2 color front only
i would have to order a min. 12

not sure there are 12 people that would pay for a shirt. i'll let you know what i get back, if it's clear to understand. i asked for sports shirt as it tends to get warm and there are some places that don't always have conditioned spaces and the 'cool' shirts really make a difference.

briankstan
2014.04.28, 03:18 PM
I'd order one, I prefer the black shirts. I'd pay for one with the front and back design. :) screen printing looks better but if the price is better for the printed one with more color options I'd probably prefer that. :)

I need more racing (mini-z) themed items. I've raced with you guys and would feel proud sporting one of your shirts.

BiLLy bOb
2014.04.28, 08:05 PM
im definately down for 1 xxl. don't need a number cause i dont race, if they are getting numbers, i'll come up with one.
louie

arch2b
2014.04.28, 08:59 PM
ok, 3 color screen printing front and back is cost prohibitive, i don't know how you did it brian.

i did get the following updates.
3 Color Front | 3 Color Back
Item 1. Hanes Tagless T-shirt -- Black
1 S-XL
1 @ $32.75 each
Total for 1 piece $32.75\
(note: each 2XL adds $2, each 3XL adds $3, etc.)

3 Color Front | 0 Color Back
Item 1. Hanes Tagless T-shirt -- Black
1 S-XL
1 @ $24.75 each
Total for 1 piece $24.75
(note: each 2XL adds $2, each 3XL adds $3, etc.)

i'm going to go for the front and back myself. i'll send the artwork for the front only so interested parties can order one. i'll let you guys know how to do that. for anyone that wants one with name/number, email me through my profile with what you want as i need to make the artwork.

one question they asked, would we be happy with 2 color vs. 3 color by replacing the grey border with white?

BiLLy bOb
2014.04.28, 09:32 PM
im ok with 2 or 3 color either one.

briankstan
2014.04.29, 07:20 AM
2 color might look good as well, Have you tested it out on the artwork?

I'd like to get one with the front and back so I need to think about the number.

One thing to note is we ended up printing almost 40 shirts and some hoodies and a couple of jackets, that bumped us into the quantity to get a price brake. Also they were all the same printing front and back so no one off screens had to be made.

I could price them through a local company here if you'd like, Let me know.

arch2b
2014.05.02, 10:47 PM
no, haven't had to time to test 2 color yet.:(

here are the 4 i've made so far.

i can't cover the upfront cost of an order like that. i like the rationalization of the shirts but have plan front only artwork available as well.

i'd be happy to send you the artwork for pricing if you think it worthwhile. i certainly don't want to waste your time, i know your a very busy person. :p

arch2b
2014.05.03, 05:58 AM
made a couple more this morning

BiLLy bOb
2014.05.03, 08:20 AM
looks beautiful!

briankstan
2014.05.03, 10:56 AM
They look great. Honestly the price isn't bad for a one off print
For a 3 color shirt. I'll probably get 2 of them sent it'll be setup anyway to print.

TheRinger
2014.05.03, 10:58 AM
I like it.

arch2b
2014.05.03, 04:29 PM
They look great. Honestly the price isn't bad for a one off print
For a 3 color shirt. I'll probably get 2 of them sent it'll be setup anyway to print.

email me your club logo and i'll add that to the sponsor back corner for you it you wish.

domer99
2014.05.05, 12:34 PM
I really like those, excellent work :D

briankstan
2014.05.05, 02:12 PM
email me your club logo and i'll add that to the sponsor back corner for you it you wish.

I emailed the .psd file to you. thanks.

arch2b
2014.05.05, 07:58 PM
i ordered the first run for myself and michael. they should arrive next monday. michaels is a youth large so it will be interesting to see how well it scales down. if i like the results ill email everyone thier artwork. just want to make sure the end pproduct is worthwhile.

arch2b
2014.05.09, 05:37 PM
updated the 1st post with requests and status of artwork...

arch2b
2014.05.17, 08:58 AM
i've updated the list in the first post on status of requests.

i know many more asked about them, i need you to post or email the request as well please.

if your from another club, i will place your club logo on the shirt as well ;) just need to send the artwork.

arch2b
2014.06.01, 07:48 PM
Has anyone else had a shirt made? If so, what service did you use and how did they turn out?

briankstan
2014.06.02, 07:31 AM
Has anyone else had a shirt made? If so, what service did you use and how did they turn out?

I ordered mine from www.alliedshirts.com on a white shirt I should have them this week. I'll post some pics of it when I get it. :) I had a 50% off coupon so the shirts were a really good deal. Printed on the white shirt was only $12.98

I added it to an order that I had made for our trip to Lake Powell for the 4th of July. Everyone on my boat will have custom shirts specific to the boat they are on. Here are the graphics I did for it. these will be printed on a Marine Blue shirt and were less then $15 ea.

I have also purchased shirts from vistaprint.com and zazzle.com and they are good quality and the printing on them were great on both black, white and gray shirts that I've gotten. Last year my buddy did shirts from alliedshirts and they turned out great with took it up a notch this year with custom graphics instead of using their clip art like he did last year.

Shirt Front Graphic (My Boats name is Second Chance, This is the Captains one, the others will Say Crew).
http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Boating/Second_Chance_Shirt_Front_Captain.jpg

Shirt Back Graphic
http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Boating/Second_Chance_Shirt_Back.jpg

briankstan
2014.06.08, 12:32 PM
I got my Shirts on Friday including My Washington DC Mini-Z Shirt. I had this one ordered with my other shirts. I elected to get this in a white shirt. I'll probably get another in black later. I really like the way it turned out. total cost for the shirt was $12.98 :D as you can see I tweaked Ray's design a little to fit on the white shirt.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34267&stc=1&d=1402248645

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34268&stc=1&d=1402248645

arch2b
2014.06.08, 07:16 PM
Looks good! I like the changes made.

For $13, I would buy several myself, some with no name and number for the LHS.

briankstan
2014.06.09, 09:15 AM
They send out coupons all the time to customers. Their website isn't as tricked out as some but the shirts are good quality and the printing on all the different ones I've had done are really good.

I'm very happy with the cost and quality of that they've done. I'd have to order a black shirt to see what they will look like on the black but the white, blue and gray shirts I've got from them are great.

There is also a slight discount if you buy 12 or more of the same design on the same shirts (different sizes are fine).

arch2b
2014.06.15, 11:47 AM
thanks, ordered about 5 shirts from allied. this will debut special shirt for HW staff as well ;) Ordered another for myself and 2 blanks.

arch2b
2014.07.05, 09:11 AM
well, received my order from allied and very disappointed. prints were horrible. lots of pix-elated, lots of graphic artifacts, some of the grey border simply didn't print. it honestly looks like my entire order was the defect batch. i sent them an email stating i was very unhappy with the quality but have yet to get a response.

KWT
2014.07.05, 09:49 PM
That's disappointing. I want to order one but it's expensive to order one shirt.

briankstan
2014.07.07, 09:21 AM
well, received my order from allied and very disappointed. prints were horrible. lots of pix-elated, lots of graphic artifacts, some of the grey border simply didn't print. it honestly looks like my entire order was the defect batch. i sent them an email stating i was very unhappy with the quality but have yet to get a response.

Tthat really sucks. I hope they take care of it. Were these on Black Shirts? what file format did you use when uploading them on the website. I did all mine with .png files I created from Photoshop with transparent backgrounds.

I know that the 20 shirts that we got were very good, plus the one racing shirt that I ordered all looked very good. I was very impressed with the graphics. I wouldn't have recommended them if I was disappointed with the shirts I got. Only thing I wasn't sure of was the printing on black as I didn't have one done.

Let me know how they treat you on getting it taken care of.

arch2b
2014.07.07, 10:56 AM
i received a follow up email requesting pictures so i'll send that in tonight. i'm sure they will do there best to ensure my satisfaction. everyone is due a 'oops' now and then. yes, i had them printed on black. i'll show the pictures, color of shirt shouldn't have played any part in what happened. one came out crisp and clean so the others should have as well.

arch2b
2014.07.07, 07:46 PM
you can see all the white artifacts that printed at the edges of the elements that really make them look bad.

briankstan
2014.07.08, 08:16 AM
just looked at the pics, yes those are not acceptable for sure. I would be disappointed with them as well if that's what I received. Sounds like they are on it and will get it worked out to your satisfaction.

arch2b
2014.07.09, 03:22 PM
Allied followed up today to let me know they have identified the issue and corrected it (they didn't say what it was) and are sending me replacements at no cost. i support that kind of customer service :p

briankstan
2014.07.10, 10:01 AM
great to hear. :)

arch2b
2015.02.16, 11:04 AM
I've decided to hold off any any further T-Shirt purchases until the weather get much warmer. if anyone has a request, please email/PM me.