PDA

View Full Version : Will The Mr-03 Handle Lipo Battery?

MiamizFinest
2014.04.28, 01:18 PM
I ordered a few nano techs from HobbyKing for my Atomic AMZ and couldn't help but notice i could get them to fit nicely in my mr-03 and mr-02's. I was wondering will the electronics even hold up on a lipo set up? I know the life packs work but anyone have any experience with lipo?

mleemor60
2014.04.28, 03:10 PM
Check out the X-Power chassis. It uses an MR-03 board and 7.4 Lipo's

ChiMiniRc
2014.04.29, 12:04 PM
I ordered a few nano techs from HobbyKing for my Atomic AMZ and couldn't help but notice i could get them to fit nicely in my mr-03 and mr-02's. I was wondering will the electronics even hold up on a lipo set up? I know the life packs work but anyone have any experience with lipo?

I've been told by many a model railroader that the boards handle 12 volts just fine. But I'm sure the load is smaller.

Atomic Mods has sold modified xmods and mini-z for a while. They say a 2 cell Lipo is fine.
https://www.atomicmods.com/QandA-Batteries_a/264.htm

On the page about the Lithium cells it says they are 8.4 volts together but it says the individual cells are rated 3.7 volts each. Isn't that 7.4 volts and not 8.4 volts?
The cells come off the charger at 8.4 volts and drain down to 6 volts with 7.4 being the nominal (according to plan or design) voltage. The 8.4 volts is significant because this is the maximum voltage that a stock XMOD or MiniZ can handle.

MiamizFinest
2014.04.30, 10:58 AM
I've been told by many a model railroader that the boards handle 12 volts just fine. But I'm sure the load is smaller.

Atomic Mods has sold modified xmods and mini-z for a while. They say a 2 cell Lipo is fine.
https://www.atomicmods.com/QandA-Batteries_a/264.htm

On the page about the Lithium cells it says they are 8.4 volts together but it says the individual cells are rated 3.7 volts each. Isn't that 7.4 volts and not 8.4 volts?
The cells come off the charger at 8.4 volts and drain down to 6 volts with 7.4 being the nominal (according to plan or design) voltage. The 8.4 volts is significant because this is the maximum voltage that a stock XMOD or MiniZ can handle.

Hey man thanks for the info, but you got me really interested in this. What do model train guys use the Mr-03 board for? do you know?

ChiMiniRc
2014.04.30, 12:21 PM
Hey man thanks for the info, but you got me really interested in this. What do model train guys use the Mr-03 board for? do you know?

TO be fair, it's been AM boards since the TX is cheap.
From what I'm told, it's an inexpensive way to get independent control of a train. There are expensive digital controls that can apply independent throttle to trains on the same track. This way, they just get constant power from the track (or battery back) and they use the MIni-z board as a receiver to control throttle.

byebye
2014.04.30, 04:23 PM
TO be fair, it's been AM boards since the TX is cheap.
From what I'm told, it's an inexpensive way to get independent control of a train. There are expensive digital controls that can apply independent throttle to trains on the same track. This way, they just get constant power from the track (or battery back) and they use the MIni-z board as a receiver to control throttle.

That's interesting.

TheSteve
2014.04.30, 04:51 PM
The micrcontrollers and main electronics on a Mini-Z board have a regulator to ensure they have the correct voltage. I haven't looked up the specs of the regulator but they are likely good to a minimum of 9 volts. I can really only think of two potential problems running higher voltages. The first is the steering motor - it is not regulated at all and is simply driven through the steering fets, so as you increase voltage the motor will be drawing more and more current.
The other potential problem is the on/off switching of the mosfets for both the steering and main motor. If the design Kyosho is using isn't designed to work with higher voltages you maye come across the fets not turning on 100%, at which time they will probably let out the factory smoke.