PDA

View Full Version : Buggy Big Bore shocks

WorldClassZ
2014.05.23, 06:40 PM
I saw mention of some big bore shocks for the Mini-z Buggy on Alex's blog.

Are these upcoming product from Kyosho or already available from a third party?
I've been unable to find out anything more about them.

briankstan
2014.05.23, 06:46 PM
I know that the aluminum bodies shocks are available. are these the ones you are referring too?

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Aluminum-Oil-Shock-Set4PcsMB_p_22802.html

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/mbw036.jpg&maxx=640&maxy=0

WorldClassZ
2014.05.23, 06:51 PM
No. These beefier looking things:

http://kyoshosan.blogspot.ca/2014/05/new-mini-z-buggy-big-bore-shocks.html

kyoshosan
2014.05.23, 10:01 PM
Are these upcoming product from Kyosho or already available from a third party?
I've been unable to find out anything more about them.

I believe they will first come out on the new Mini-Z Buggy MP9. They should be available separate as well. No release dates yet, should be soon though.

WorldClassZ
2014.05.25, 06:31 PM
I believe they will first come out on the new Mini-Z Buggy MP9. They should be available separate as well. No release dates yet, should be soon though.

Good to hear.
I had no idea there was a new Mini-z buggy coming.
How does the MP9 differ from the Optima or Lazer package?

kyoshosan
2014.05.26, 10:37 AM
How does the MP9 differ from the Optima or Lazer package?

Sorry but my information might not be 100% accurate. The MP9 Mini-Z Buggy doesn't look like it will have the Big Bore Shocks, At least I can't tell. Looks like the Big Bore shocks will be an option for all buggies. I also don't know what's new on the new buggy besides the body shell :D

WorldClassZ
2014.06.23, 04:20 PM
Has anyone seen any stock yet available for sale of these Kyosho MBW037 shocks?

briankstan
2014.06.24, 08:45 AM
I haven't seen them yet. did a quick search and just see that they are suppose to be available June 2014. I don't see them at Kyosho America yet either.

WorldClassZ
2014.07.04, 07:22 PM
Bah!
Looks like their ETA has been pushed back to July now (http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/newparts.html).

Bought myself another pair of MBW036 oil shocks to tide me over.

Grumble ....

arch2b
2014.09.28, 12:09 PM
does this pair come with oversized aluminum shocks or is it just a parts kit for current aluminum and plastic oil shocks?

the atomic adjustable coil shock set at least looks adjustable where this doers not, unless you inset spacers on the shock body.

WorldClassZ
2014.09.29, 08:23 PM
does this pair come with oversized aluminum shocks or is it just a parts kit for current aluminum and plastic oil shocks?

the atomic adjustable coil shock set at least looks adjustable where this doers not, unless you inset spacers on the shock body.

They are oversized shocks and come as a self contained package. They require some care in assembly and in particular in removing and trimming plastic parts from the stem.

I screwed up the set I assembled by not trimming the plastic carefully enough. Until I take them apart again and fix the issues, I'm reserving judgement.
That said, I like the Atomic Coil over conversion shocks a lot. They have a wide range of adjustment, are easy to assemble and are considerably cheaper than the Kyosho big bore shocks which as you mention are adjusted with plastic spacer rings.

WorldClassZ
2014.09.29, 08:29 PM
One odd thing: I've seen a picture or two of the Big Bore Shocks in black but when they became available, I have only seen them in red.

deadted
2015.01.06, 07:52 AM
Hey, was wondering how the big bore shocks turned out...u like them?

Pierro
2015.01.08, 02:44 PM
Hello!

I personally like them. But those needs careful assembly and were not the easiest to fit on the aluminium suspension holder due to their size. I had to use the included spacer and find a longer screw to hold them and keep them free.

The plastic cup that capture the pin on the suspension arm need some break in to move freely and avoid blocked suspension.

You'll also need to ensure the caps are screwed thight cause aluminium tends to unscrew especially while jumping etc like those things do.

Once free and correctly filled, I could get the balance I needed on the jump thanks to the plastic spacers.

I don't have a long-term review yet as I only used them on the last two races of last year championship and this year there will be no more buggy categorie so I haven't driven it since then. :(

WorldClassZ
2015.01.08, 05:36 PM
I like the big bore shocks well enough once the rough assembly issues were ironed out.

It's a close toss up whether I prefer them to the Atomic coil over conversions though.

For looks alone however, the Big Bore shocks win hands down.

deadted
2015.01.09, 11:50 PM
Are the aluminum kyosho shocks better over the stock shocks?

deadted
2015.01.15, 08:42 PM
It seem like the standard Shocks that the buggy comes with eventually have issues with leaks...is there any way to fix this? Are than any other aftermarket shocks that don''t leak? Was gonna try the aluminum kyosho aftermarket shocks.

Teddy

LuckyDuc
2015.02.24, 10:36 AM
I recently purchased the Big Bore shocks for my Optima and the plastic ball connector that comes with them is sticking... to the point that the suspension is sticking on all four. Does anyone have recommendations on how to "break" these in so the suspension isn't blocked?

Thanks,
Sean

DMALMAD
2015.02.24, 01:25 PM
Based on what you have described you might have to ream out a little material in the ball ends. Do this with a dremel or an xacto knife.

LuckyDuc
2015.02.24, 01:36 PM
Based on what you have described you might have to ream out a little material in the ball ends. Do this with a dremel or an xacto knife.

Thanks. I thought it might be as easy as that, but wanted to check what others have done before carving on them.

KWT
2015.02.24, 05:28 PM
You might want to try the old trick of squeezing the plastic ball connector with pliers. Just a gentle squeeze.

mleemor60
2015.02.24, 05:54 PM
Maybe a light application of Krytech dry wax lubricant would do the trick.

LuckyDuc
2015.02.24, 08:32 PM
I tried reaming out the ball connectors, polishing the metal balls with 600 grit, and using white teflon grease. These things are still sticking. I'm going to look for some other replacement ball connectors to try.

I could try drilling out the OEM shock ball ends, but if they don't work with the thicker DIA shaft I will have destroyed the OEM shocks as well.

The big bore shocks are really nice. Too bad the plastic ball ends they included are not sized properly for the original balls that come with the kit.

Kay-Dee
2015.02.25, 11:22 AM
Hy

I had the same Trouble !

There is a smal trick from the 10th scale cars i remembered.
Loosen the ball connectors for only a few turns then it should work fine !

LuckyDuc
2015.02.25, 01:00 PM
Hy

I had the same Trouble !

There is a smal trick from the 10th scale cars i remembered.
Loosen the ball connectors for only a few turns then it should work fine !

Loosen the plastic connector on the shaft of the shock
OR
Loosen the metal ball on the suspension arm?

I will try both when I get home.

LuckyDuc
2015.02.25, 05:29 PM
Amazing! That fixed the sticking issue. I backed out the plastic connector 1 and a half turns on the shock shaft and the problem is gone.

Thank you, Sir!

LuckyDuc
2015.02.25, 08:25 PM
Installed and working properly now.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34491&d=1424917384

Kay-Dee
2015.02.26, 12:26 PM
Hy

I am glad to hear that i could help you to fix the problem !

WorldClassZ
2015.02.26, 03:28 PM
Installed and working properly now.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34491&d=1424917384

Very nice looking Buggy!

slowbiker
2015.08.10, 01:40 AM
My buggy with big bore shocks.

briankstan
2015.08.10, 08:27 AM
do you have any leaking issues with the big bore shocks? both the stock and the kyosho aluminum ones I have leak.

JatoTheRipper
2015.08.10, 11:12 AM
do you have any leaking issues with the big bore shocks? both the stock and the kyosho aluminum ones I have leak.
Use a little telfon tape on the shock threads. I do this on all my larger scale shocks to prevent leaking. Associated/Noleen's green slime also helps on o-rings, but it might be too sticky for this scale.

slowbiker
2015.08.11, 06:49 AM

If the shock caps lock tight enough, it is not a problem of oil leaking occur.