PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and First Questions

Brock
2014.05.28, 01:34 PM
Good afternoon, Racers. I am new to the hobby. Thank you to the guys I met at the Fairfax, VA Hobby Works.

I told some friends that I was getting into Mini Z hobbying, and the father of a friend pulled out a box of MR-02 cars that he had sitting in storage for a few years. He let me borrow one to learn how to control the car and I have had a blast. I have been to many sites trying to consume as much info as possible. I am planning to invest in my first car in a couple of weeks and I am stuck between the MR-03 and the MA-10. I like the AWD, but I was told that the AWD cars require a bit more tuning. Are there any sites or resources that go into depth about the Mini Z anatomy and tuning? (...besides the obvious places like YouTube or the top Google results.) Are there any good RC magazines that cover Mini Z?

mleemor60
2014.05.28, 02:16 PM
Welcome to the forum. The Fairfax group is top notch and will be very helpful to you as you progress.

As far as a site for knowledge, you have landed square in the middle of it. Anything that you want or need to know can be found right here so don't hesitate for a second to throw out a question.

From a chassis preference standpoint you will find that the AWD chassis is no longer the platform of choice for competing. The advent of RCP(track) has relegated it to the duty of what I call shoveling snow(drifting). If you land in an area that competes on carpet then the AWD is still quite competitive but a bit tedious to sort out as you have already noted. In today's market the MR-03 is the competitive mainstay for any racing surface followed by the older but still race worthy MR-02.

Just go through the index here and search for general information so you can get a feel for the terminology. Some information is dated but still pretty useful.

Unlike most of the other scales you won't find it necessary to pay your dues so to speak. People here are quick to give the most accurate information available to keep you from spending needlessly on old technology or the shiny bits that attract the eyes of all beginners. Avoid getting into the "need for speed" club. The cars are already faster than most can drive them. As skills improve so will speed. Just be patient and try not to drink the "Kool Aid" that will be offered by the faithful followers of the various manufactures as must have items. Study and ask questions and you will become proficient before you know it.

Again. Welcome!!

byebye
2014.05.28, 06:55 PM
Hey Brock. Glad you made your way to this site. We've been around a long time and the usual dirty dozen will answer your questions. This forum is really easy going.

We have subforums for the chassis. Sometimes info gets scattered between chassis, drivers, and setups.
Autoscales, bodies, cars and drivers (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
1/28th Chassis (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
Setups (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)

herman
2014.05.29, 01:40 AM
greetings brock :D

i'm with mleemor60 +100% if you are in a bind, mr02's are still solid if set up properly... only downside i can think of is that you are limited to mr02 bodies...

mr03's are kind of the standard these days... it's like a one chassis fits all... kyosho has come out with different variants... mr03 / mr03 tiki/ mr03ve / and the mr03s... with mr03s being the most affordable (it comes with a funky kt-19... i think this variant is least liked by more serious hobbyists/racers) and the mr03ve being the most expensive (it's brushless!!!)

as for the ma010 awd chassis... well... its either you love them or hate them... unfortunately i belong to the latter... i've been trying to have mine run straight almost forever... and i've got a couple of other chassis that don't run straight either... if you love tinkering around, you might want to consider this... there might be some other members who can give you a better review on the ma010 awd chassis... i just pretty much use mine for fun drifting around the house...

good luck, hope this helps... :D

Brock
2014.05.30, 10:17 AM
Thank you for the info. I have been skimming through the site all week. I think you guys may have convinced me to stick to the MR-03 for now. I may still get the MA-10, but I may hold off on that until I become a bit more versed in the lingo. Many thanks for your replies. Hope to see you guys on the track soon!

briankstan
2014.05.30, 10:24 AM
welcome aboard, you'll be racing with a great bunch of guys there. you can learn a lot from them.

imxlr8ed
2014.05.30, 10:37 AM
Welcome to the forum. The Fairfax group is top notch and will be very helpful to you as you progress.

As far as a site for knowledge, you have landed square in the middle of it. Anything that you want or need to know can be found right here so don't hesitate for a second to throw out a question.

From a chassis preference standpoint you will find that the AWD chassis is no longer the platform of choice for competing. The advent of RCP(track) has relegated it to the duty of what I call shoveling snow(drifting). If you land in an area that competes on carpet then the AWD is still quite competitive but a bit tedious to sort out as you have already noted. In today's market the MR-03 is the competitive mainstay for any racing surface followed by the older but still race worthy MR-02.

Just go through the index here and search for general information so you can get a feel for the terminology. Some information is dated but still pretty useful.

Unlike most of the other scales you won't find it necessary to pay your dues so to speak. People here are quick to give the most accurate information available to keep you from spending needlessly on old technology or the shiny bits that attract the eyes of all beginners. Avoid getting into the "need for speed" club. The cars are already faster than most can drive them. As skills improve so will speed. Just be patient and try not to drink the "Kool Aid" that will be offered by the faithful followers of the various manufactures as must have items. Study and ask questions and you will become proficient before you know it.

Again. Welcome!!

One of the best welcome posts yet! Should almost be stickied.

I agree, stick with the simple gear first to get your skills up then move into the nuttier versions. Nothing wrong with the MR02s either in my book, as long as they are 2.4ghz.

Brock.... Samson?

http://www.toledofreepress.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Brock.png

"Good god! They’re making ‘em big now a days. Don’t they know there’s a gas crunch on?. Look at the size of you. Samson, Brock. Born Omaha, Nebraska to a single mother. Half Swedish, quarter Polish, quarter Winnebago. You lost your virginity at fourteen, have one brother and you enjoy Motocross. The Brock Samson you knew and were is dead. Happy birthday, Frankenstein! You’re O.S.I.’s baby now!!!"

Colonel Hunter Gathers

baddest cartoon badas$$ever...

Sorry... big VB fan here.

briankstan
2014.05.30, 10:56 AM
for someone starting out, the only real need is tires, talk to the guys in the club and run what they run. Other than that keep the car stock, make sure the suspension movement is free (ie. not binding or hanging) and drive, drive, drive.

when you feel the need there are great performance hop-ups from: Kyosho, Reflex Racing, PN Racing and Atomic. talk to the guys here or at your club, really no matter who you talk to there might be some (or alot) of bias towards one brand. at some point or another all brands have had some issues with this or that parts, but for the most part they are all pretty good quality. I'm loyal to a brand but don't specifically push them on people and have had good luck with all brands at one point or another.

If you are looking at parts especially for an MR-02 the parts by GPM and 3Racing are older but can still be good. I'd ask for advice on them before you spend the money however.

Brock
2014.05.30, 11:18 AM
One of the best welcome posts yet! Should almost be stickied.

I agree, stick with the simple gear first to get your skills up then move into the nuttier versions. Nothing wrong with the MR02s either in my book, as long as they are 2.4ghz.

Brock.... Samson?

http://www.toledofreepress.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Brock.png

"Good god! They’re making ‘em big now a days. Don’t they know there’s a gas crunch on?. Look at the size of you. Samson, Brock. Born Omaha, Nebraska to a single mother. Half Swedish, quarter Polish, quarter Winnebago. You lost your virginity at fourteen, have one brother and you enjoy Motocross. The Brock Samson you knew and were is dead. Happy birthday, Frankenstein! You’re O.S.I.’s baby now!!!"

Colonel Hunter Gathers

baddest cartoon badas$$ever...

Sorry... big VB fan here.

NP. I am, a big VB fan as well. In fact, when most people say, "wait, you're name is Brock. Like the wrestler?" I usually respond with, "Yes, or like Samson."