PDA

View Full Version : A welcome, and questions

finalcut747
2014.05.28, 07:15 PM
Hello!

After months of fawning after a Mini-Z, I came across an MR-02 McLaren F1 LM at a local hobby shop for a good price. I bought it, and want to know more about Mini-Z bodies and whatnot. I know there are different chassis with different wheelbases. How do I pick bodies out? Can I use any body? I want to protect the beautifully made McLaren body the best I can. I am trying to find local races, and have seen what they do to bodies.

byebye
2014.05.28, 08:40 PM
Where are you located?

finalcut747
2014.05.29, 12:10 AM
I am in Ventura County, about 45 minutes NW of Downtown LA.

herman
2014.05.29, 12:14 AM
welcome to the forums... :D

lemmie try to answer some of your questions...

I bought it, and want to know more about Mini-Z bodies and whatnot. I know there are different chassis with different wheelbases. How do I pick bodies out?

- well there's a lot of information on these forums, so all you have to do is search... or ask what specifically you need to know... bodies (there are a lot of them) i believe are basically a personal thing, you can drive what you want... but generally the longer the chassis s-86mm; m-90mm; l-94mm; ll-98mm; lll-102... i believe the more stable... popular race bodies are 98mm and 94mm bodies...

Can I use any body?
- since you got a mr02, you can pretty much use any mr02 specific body provided you have the correct motor mount.

I want to protect the beautifully made McLaren body the best I can. I am trying to find local races, and have seen what they do to bodies.
- like byebye mentioned... where are you located? hopefully there will be a track nearby... or you can go back to the hobby shop where you bought your z and ask them...

good luck and hope this helps. :D

herman
2014.05.29, 12:16 AM
if your're in la... there's no place any better than ---> click here - kennon - (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38452)... great bunch of people.... :D

herman
2014.05.29, 12:54 AM
here's a link to some of kyosho's autoscale bodies...
---> click here (http://www.mini-z-guide.com/bodies.htm)

finalcut747
2014.05.29, 01:24 AM
here's a link to some of kyosho's autoscale bodies...
---> click here (http://www.mini-z-guide.com/bodies.htm)

What is the offset and how do I compensate for it?

mleemor60
2014.05.29, 06:22 AM
The offset is the placement of the wheels on the chassis. Your little Mac body is set up with zero offset both front and rear. An Audi R-8 is equipped with +2 front and +3 rear offset wheels. Different width bodies come with different offsets. This normally isn't an issue if you always purchase "Autuscale" bodies they come with the correct wheels. Your knowledge of what goes where becomes more important when you start to delve into the white(paintable)bodies as they usually don't come with the wheels. There are exceptions though. The after market bodies from "TRP" such as the very popular "Mosler" and their newest model "Magane" do come with the appropriate wheels. Once you get familiar with what goes where you will find hundreds of options material, offset, color, weight and style right in your own back yard at the place Herman mentioned. You can also find most if not all of what you need from our host. Tiny RC. Just click on "shop" at the top of the forum's page. There are others as well. Just don't let yourself get caught up in the "must have" club. Most of it is useless bling unless you are one of the top 25 mini drivers in the world.

Welcome to the forums.

herman
2014.05.29, 07:28 PM
+1 mleemor60... :D

basically the bodies require a specific offset which is stated in the table.

if you purchase an autoscale body it comes complete with the body, the body mount, rims and tires, a display case, and a dummy chassis... since you have a mr02, choose any body on the mr02 side (left side of table on the link i sent you)...

you will be able to use any of those bodies provided you have the correct motor mount.

herman
2014.05.29, 07:33 PM
kyosho does sell some rims just in case you loose them or if they are ruined after a race... there are also other third party rims that come in different offsets...

http://www.amain.com/images/medium/kyo/kyomzh130g_1.jpg
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/assets/images/mzh130g.jpg

hope this helps :D

herman
2014.05.29, 07:50 PM
here's a thread that might interest you
post images of your mr02 (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23269&highlight=post+images+mr-02&page=77)
there are some 78 pages that you can go through of different cars and mr02 setups :D

arch2b
2014.07.07, 09:35 PM
mike, is the official offset conversion from awd to rwd +2f and +3r? awd offset is 4.5f and 2.2r according to the spec sheet.
The offset is the placement of the wheels on the chassis. Your little Mac body is set up with zero offset both front and rear. An Audi R-8 is equipped with +2 front and +3 rear offset wheels. Different width bodies come with different offsets. This normally isn't an issue if you always purchase "Autuscale" bodies they come with the correct wheels. Your knowledge of what goes where becomes more important when you start to delve into the white(paintable)bodies as they usually don't come with the wheels. There are exceptions though. The after market bodies from "TRP" such as the very popular "Mosler" and their newest model "Magane" do come with the appropriate wheels. Once you get familiar with what goes where you will find hundreds of options material, offset, color, weight and style right in your own back yard at the place Herman mentioned. You can also find most if not all of what you need from our host. Tiny RC. Just click on "shop" at the top of the forum's page. There are others as well. Just don't let yourself get caught up in the "must have" club. Most of it is useless bling unless you are one of the top 25 mini drivers in the world.

Welcome to the forums.

mleemor60
2014.07.08, 05:20 AM
My knowledge of conversions from AWD to conventional platforms is "nil" as I never really got interested in the platform beyond buying everything in site(just in case). I was fortunate to sell everything in a package deal to a guy in Texas. I always used the conversion chart that the old "Atomic Mods" had on their site.