PDA

View Full Version : New member

Blackwolf
2014.07.10, 08:24 PM
Hey everyone. New to the site, and relatively new to mini-zís. Iíve been messing around with xmods since the first generations were around. Got my first mini-z during Christmas and have been casually driving around the house so far. Looking to get into racing it eventually. Itís an MR-03 with a whiteout GT86 body on it. So far all Iíve done to it is add the Volk RE30 wheels from the multi-offset wheel kit and some tires. Looking forward to learning more about these.

I'm also looking at hopefully picking up an AWD mini-z and had a few questions. I know that there are three different models, the ma-010, ma-015, and ma020...what are the main differences between these three? Any of the 2.4GHz models should be able to pair to my KT-18, right? Anything I should look for when trying to find one?

Here are some pictures of my MR-03:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3902/14437455560_5d18e7b412_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3838/14437512909_d53dfc5ccb_b.jpg

DMALMAD
2014.07.10, 09:45 PM
yes any 2.4ghz will pair EXCEPT the mr-03s the 's' just stands for sport and uses a different frequency radio system and only works with the kt-19 which comes with it. For racing the awd is not recommended because it takes a lot more work to be able to use and is only realy workable on low grip carpet even the carpet we have at majs we use foam tires and the mr-03 is really the only way to go. If you are going to be racing your mr-03 some upgrades you should look into is a new radio (the ko propo are the ones that work with the 901sm module for mini z) and a ball diff and some bearings. After that probably a more race worthy body like the ferrari 360 - 430 -458 or the mosler or the audi r8. And after that some quality batteries and other chassis mods. Mini-z can be taken to the extreme or can just be casual it all depends on how much you want to spend. I would recommend checking out the local track (i think that there are multiple clubs around the va/Md area) and see what every one else is running that way they can help you set your car to the track as they have experience.
For example here are two of my MR-03 both of which are fully outfitted with all option parts available one has the x-power mrx conversion (carbon fibre and lipo) and they both have pn double a arm fronts and pn rear motor mounts. The cost of both of them is great (lets just say that alone without all the stuff in my pit box they are a combined over one thousand dollars) and is not recommended for a beginner but if you have the money and the patience to build out your car it will be much easier to drive and succeed at racing but you probably want to hold off on the mrx chassis as most clubs don't allow lipo batteries it is just here in NJ that we are real racers that can handle foam tires, carpet, modified motors and lipo batteries which have been outlawed by other clubs and large race events :eek:;)(just the lipo, foam tires which provide better grip and the carpet track which also gives better grip combined with the foam tires have been banned) but is really the most competitive racing available. link to youtube vids of races https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-THW4NHelo4. Like I said this is just the extreme first go to your local track and see how interested you are and the most important thing is practice nothing will make you faster than practice. If you are going to race hope this helps but if not I wouldn't get any upgrades because they are unnecessary for bashing. (p.s. I get second in that race so this is just my honest opinion from the competitive race side of mini-z... it is also very fun
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DMALMAD/IMG_0046_zps537b9508.jpg (http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/DMALMAD/media/IMG_0046_zps537b9508.jpg.html)

Blackwolf
2014.07.10, 10:32 PM
Awesome, thanks for all of the info. I do see myself probably getting into racing eventually, so I'll look into those upgrades once I start needing them, but I will definitely pick up another body to race with so indoor destroy this one. Right now I just try and work on car control when I'm driving around. I've seen that there's a Washington area group, but I'm only up in that area during breaks so that would be the only time for me to race until I graduate.

I am looking at an awd mainly to be a drifter to mess around with and plan on keeping the mr03 for racing.

I really like the look of your mr-03s...something about the 2wd models upgraded like that just looks too cool

DMALMAD
2014.07.10, 10:42 PM
In that case the awds are pretty cool i have one for the wood floor in my house i even put a light kit for the headlights :p. You don't need much for drifting just some hard shore tires. I have the ma 010 which has kingpin suspension all the way around (no moving a-arms) the ma015 has rear a-arm suspension and the ma020 has rear a-arm suspension and it has front single moving upper arm suspension (basically stock mr-03 front suspension) and also has the option of running it wide. Like on your mr-03 you can use wide and narrow front end to accommodate different bodies for example your toyota uses a narrow front end but for racing the wide front end is used unless it is a narrow specific class. All three of the awds will drift fine but I would recomend looking for a used ma010 as they can be had for cheap. Otherwise the ma015 and 020 have better esc-reciever boards so I would go for either of those if you are going for a new chassis as im not sure if you can still get the 010 new.

DMALMAD
2014.07.10, 10:49 PM
Also if I am not mistaken there is also the remnant group as well... not sure if that is closer or farther but they are another option. Look in the tracks section they have their own forum sub section.

Blackwolf
2014.07.11, 09:17 AM
Ahh ok that clears up the differences. I think a ma-010 will probably suit my needs fine for now, just need to find one. Remnant is actually a little further away...when I'm at home, the DC group is actually pretty close to me.

So the hunt is on for a ma-010 haha

imxlr8ed
2014.07.11, 10:38 AM
I'm surprised an individual with over 30 thousand posts* hasn't contacted you yet. :D

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Their main track is in Fairfax VA. at an LHS. I tell everyone starting out that if you are fortunate enough to be close to a local crew, one visit early on will fill your head with a ton of excellent information! You save bucks too by learning exactly what to buy for and exactly what to do to the cars to get them in tip-top form.

Coolest thing about the Zs... almost everyone into this scale is more than happy to help anyone!

*Sorry Ray (arch2b)... I meant over 31 thousand posts. I didn't mean to short ya!*

arch2b
2014.07.11, 12:48 PM
no worries, never paid much attention to post count :p

we race at Hobby Works in Fairfax, VA twice a month, 2nd and 4th saturdays. there are all skill levels represented and offer a variety of classes to choose from or participate in all. we will be there tomorrow in fact if you care to swing by to take a look.:cool: feel free to bring whatever cars you have as well. there is always time to get your car on the track.

Blackwolf
2014.07.11, 07:30 PM
I'm surprised an individual with over 30 thousand posts* hasn't contacted you yet. :D

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Their main track is in Fairfax VA. at an LHS. I tell everyone starting out that if you are fortunate enough to be close to a local crew, one visit early on will fill your head with a ton of excellent information! You save bucks too by learning exactly what to buy for and exactly what to do to the cars to get them in tip-top form.

Coolest thing about the Zs... almost everyone into this scale is more than happy to help anyone!

*Sorry Ray (arch2b)... I meant over 31 thousand posts. I didn't mean to short ya!*

Yeah I've already noticed how welcoming and helpful the community is here on this forum. Looking forward to meeting some in person!

no worries, never paid much attention to post count :p

we race at Hobby Works in Fairfax, VA twice a month, 2nd and 4th saturdays. there are all skill levels represented and offer a variety of classes to choose from or participate in all. we will be there tomorrow in fact if you care to swing by to take a look.:cool: feel free to bring whatever cars you have as well. there is always time to get your car on the track.

I would love to come out and drive/hang out, but unfortunately I'm down at school. When I'm at home during breaks I'm in Loudoun, so I will definitely try and make it out to a race/open practice if I can.

I've seen a few of the videos you guys have up on your youtube channel and it looks like a lot of fun. Looking forward to meeting you all one day.