PDA

View Full Version : First mini rc car - need recommendation

drabina
2014.12.12, 08:40 PM
For a noob that wants to get into mini rc cars to run around an apartment, would this be a good buy?

Kyosho Mini-Z MR-03N-RM MR-03S Subaru Ready Set (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=22948&cat=0&page=9)

I am not planning on racing so this would be strictly to run on a hardwood floor in the living room and to see if I like the hobby. Just need something of a better quality than Radio Shack or Toys R Us cars that my kids have and are either constantly broken or battery packs are discharged. That's why I like the Kyosho Mini-Z's which runs on AAA batteries.

imxlr8ed
2014.12.13, 12:07 AM
Hardwood floors?... I'd usually recommend an AWD but a 2WD MR03 Sport with a gyro would probably work for you.

Not too hard to rise above RadioShack quality. A Z is light years beyond that. And if you enjoy tuning and tweaking... there isn't much left that is un-tunable on a Mini-Z.

jdmgoodies
2014.12.13, 01:59 AM
i think i heard about roofing tar paper being good for traction and id assume it would be fairly cheap for a roll. roll it out on ur floor and make some cereal box barriers and ull have a mini track u can also use certain kinds of carpet too hardwood may be too slick for traction unless ur trying to drift with the miniz

drabina
2014.12.13, 10:03 AM
Thanks for replying. I think AWD models are twice the price so that's above what I would like to spend on a starter kit. Few years back I had a 27Mhz rc car from one of the major companies in the market and it was working just fine on the floor. Though that was a long time ago and the new floor is a lot more slippery.

I may think later to build a DIY track so that's not totally out of the question. I just need something to start with first to see if I like it.

Also, are there any american muscle car bodies that I could swap for the Subaru? Somehow I am not too crazy about all the Porsche, Ferrari, etc bodies. :-)

imxlr8ed
2014.12.13, 11:00 AM
Not sure what part of Jersey you're from but it you're northern part, you may want to stop by Maj's Hobby Shop (check the thread on here). If you're closer to Philly, you could always swing a bit out west to Railyard Hobbies in Elverson PA. We are racing tomorrow, 11am-6pm. Visiting an actual Mini-Z group is a quick way to get up to speed on what your options are.

drabina
2014.12.13, 11:08 AM
I am actually going to stop by Maj's store little later today. I also want to visit another hobby store in Paterson as I want to get Redcat Sumo truggy for my kids and they are authorize dealer.

cowboysir
2014.12.13, 11:30 AM
Also, are there any american muscle car bodies that I could swap for the Subaru? Somehow I am not too crazy about all the Porsche, Ferrari, etc bodies. :-)

You could look around at the Autoscale list...I recall a couple Ford bodies like the new Mustang and the GT. Be sure to get the wheelset included because many bodies have different widths and the wheels are meant to match widths and create a better scale look

imxlr8ed
2014.12.13, 11:33 AM
The Redcats are fun but I had issues with my gear diffs stripping out... not the gears but the "D" slots for the axles. I bought mine used with all kinds of hop-ups so in retrospect, the alloy axles into the plastic gear diffs probably helped out with stripping them so easily. All in all though, a pretty good deal.

Maj will guide you in the right direction, he's not only a shop owner, he's one of the best racers out there! (Pretty rare combo)

As far as american muscle, there are a few...

Cobra, Daytona, Corvette, Mustang, GT40, Knight Rider Firebirds... I may be forgetting some.

A Caprice taxi and NYPD cop car, not really muscle but fun to drive.

drabina
2014.12.13, 11:40 AM
Thanks again for all the replies. I am going to check mini-z at Maj's and Redcat Sumo at the other store. As far as I know Maj does not carry Sumos. To be honest the reason why I am looking at Kyosho and Redcat Sumo is that they run on AA or AAAs. I have tons of eneloops and they are always charged. All my kids toys that run on battery packs are always depleted. AAs are so convenient.

cam
2014.12.13, 03:36 PM
For a noob that wants to get into mini rc cars to run around an apartment, would this be a good buy?.... Kyosho Mini-Z MR-03N-RM MR-03S Subaru Ready Set....I am not planning on racing so this would be strictly to run on a hardwood floor.....

I run that car on hardwood and it performs well. Adding 20* tires in back [MZW2-20] will improve cornering.

drabina
2014.12.13, 07:55 PM
I am back from my trips to local hobby stores. Unfortunately, neither one had anything that I was interested in stock. So much for trying to support LHS. On the other hand, I do not blame them. In this day and age people rather shop online than go to the store so keeping large inventory just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, from all the replies I see that the MR-03 Sports should be fine for what I need. Is there maybe some other brand that I should also consider? I am interested in AA or AAA powered vehicles only.

Thanks.

jdmgoodies
2014.12.14, 09:32 PM
the atomic amz i have heard decent things about and the mini-z awd has been a fav of mine although some would disagree the fact about 4wd or awd whatever u call it has a advantage over 2wd if u can get ur hands on a demo 2wd miniz and awd miniz to see which u like better i know im mostly familer in 10th 8th and 5th scale cars but awd or 4wd has always had a advantage in that catagory

drabina
2014.12.22, 10:22 AM
Just wanted to post an update that I have pulled a trigger on a new MR-03S Subaru.