PDA

View Full Version : Asf for futaba

Midlifekyoshorc
2014.12.24, 04:25 PM
I see the 246 asf adapter for airtronics and futaba but don't understand what or how it works.

I want a different radio other than my EX-1 KIY as it doesn't feel good so really want a new futaba or m11. How do these adapters work? I can't find a single YouTube vid or pictorial of how these things convert futaba/airtronics into asf capable transmitters.

I would like to be able to still use the transmitter for its own branded 2.4 rx as well if that is a direct adapter function.

Could someone lay out the options for a total noob please. I have dnanos mainly but have enough track to run mini z as well but only have one z so far. I just got my kyosho ic tag counter paired up with flipside so now looking to expand my radio collection for more racers and would like a better radio for my 1/5 scales while I'm at it.

mleemor60
2014.12.24, 05:25 PM
These adapters create a junction between the radio(s) and the module to get the proper pin alignment. The adapters are not the ideal way to go. Neither is the M-11. The Futaba 3PK or 3PKS is superior to the Airtronics unit. If you happen to be a lefty it is the prime choice. However. The module receptacle on the Futaba will not directly accept the 901SM module. The module is too wide. Length is the same. There is a tutorial on the Reflex Racing site that describes in depth what has to be done to use the 901SM module directly into the Futaba 3PK radio. I have been using this set up since 2.4ASF was first released to us with no issues what so ever. If you are right handed then the EX10 Helios or Euros is probably the easiest way to go. Good radio lots of features, user friendly and decently balanced. Another however though is the increasing scarcity of EX-10 Helios/Euros and 3PK radios not to mention the fact that the 901SM module is out of production. The 902SM module for the EX10 Euros though is reported to be backwards compatible with the Helios. I can't speak for compatibility with the 3PK.

If you happened to buy into the 03"S" series cars then you are severely limited right now. Rumor has it that a "Sky Fly" radio will bind but the 2.4ASF controlled radios will not. There is a radio in the pipeline from Kyosho that will fit the bill and do all of the things needed to get everything out of the chassis. No word yet as to exactly when it will be readily available though.

If you need more source information contact me through private message.

Midlifekyoshorc
2014.12.25, 12:25 AM
Ok. I see that tutorial but what about keeping the futaba 2.4 system as well for use with my 1/5 scales? Is that possible with just settings or a button or what?

What about the newer futaba radios or pkrs?

And does anyone provide this service? Like any online hobby shops or forum members? I can solder but it's dicy.

TheSteve
2014.12.25, 04:28 AM
You can see my detailed info on how to install the Mini-Z module right inside the Futaba 4PK, you lose no functionality at all and can still use it with your Futaba receivers. You're not converting any signals, just adding three wires which power the module and provide it with the analog PPM radio signal(which the 4PK series happens to still generate for DSC). Internally the FASST module uses a purely digital connection. The mod is confirmed working for the entire 4PK series, if I had a 4PX I'd give it a go but nobody is handing them out...

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37681

cowboysir
2014.12.25, 11:08 AM
I'm not the best at soldering and I was able to add The Steve's tutorial to my Futaba 4PKS. I use it for all scales now and have enough range with theFASST signal for my Baja

Midlifekyoshorc
2014.12.25, 11:18 AM
You can see my detailed info on how to install the Mini-Z module right inside the Futaba 4PK, you lose no functionality at all and can still use it with your Futaba receivers. You're not converting any signals, just adding three wires which power the module and provide it with the analog PPM radio signal(which the 4PK series happens to still generate for DSC). Internally the FASST module uses a purely digital connection. The mod is confirmed working for the entire 4PK series, if I had a 4PX I'd give it a go but nobody is handing them out...

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37681

Yea I was going to get the px since its speed claims even over the R Guess someone will pop one open at some point I'd guess?

TheSteve
2014.12.26, 04:53 AM
Yea I was going to get the px since its speed claims even over the R Guess someone will pop one open at some point I'd guess?

I am sure they will. I wonder what the speed difference is. I know with the 4PK series the speed gains advertised were actually in the improved receiver, not the transmitter.

My 4PK is an original with the 4PK super trigger added to it. I have also removed the FASST module altogether and have my own home brew 2.4GHz system installed along with the ASF module. The entire series are fantastic, a very high grade radio overall - the steering wheel is supported by a large ball bearing which is quite rare in ground radios.

ChiMiniRc
2014.12.31, 01:51 PM
I just posted a 3pk with a modded module for sale. Module is modded for pinout and to fit inside the top cover. You can still slide the module out to use the Futaba modules.