PDA

View Full Version : Two Piece Top Plate for MR-03

byebye
2015.01.20, 06:22 AM
I just spent a few hours yesterday working with my machinist to develop a two-piece top cover for the MR-03 series of chassis(Tiki, Sports, VE).

The design will replace the VE one-piece cover with a two piece cover that will give you the option to run my adjustable suspension(still in design stage) or any of the aftermarket suspensions you are currently using. The design will use aluminum and delrin and will most likely come in black anodized only. It can be used with Wide and Narrow setups. However, the narrow setup may not be adjustable.

Right now I sell a single aluminum top cover on E bay. Around half of those units will go back to the machinist to be modified for this new design.

I will start with 25-30 kits. Each kit will include the top cover, front cover, adjustable front suspension and keys for adjusting on the fly. As mentioned the top cover will be aluminum as well as the adjustable bits on the suspension. The front cover will be delrin.

Also in the design stage is an adjustable tie rod. It will be either a two-piece or three-piece. It will also be adjustable on the fly.

The goal with both designs is to "correct" camber and toe settings for smoother more efficient control.

I'll continue to update this first post with pics and progress.

lfisminiz
2015.01.20, 12:57 PM
Sounds good. I have 2 of your top covers.

mugler
2015.01.20, 03:23 PM
I had bought 2 of the reflex versions when they came out...the little weight difference between those and stock plastic TC is surprisingly noticeable and IMO a little questionable in close competitive racing where every little thing makes a difference, in this case higher CG...though they are fantastically convenient in the maintenance department and somehow make my 86mm RM cars handle better...

Is it possible to make a derlin top main cover instead of aluminum? guess the question would become the durability of screw hole threads?

arch2b
2015.01.20, 04:48 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the reason rr went with aluminum was for the stiffness as a platform for the rear suspension.

Most cars are under weight so they little added isn't as much an issue as tinkering with CG position.

byebye
2015.01.20, 06:24 PM
I had bought 2 of the reflex versions when they came out...the little weight difference between those and stock plastic TC is surprisingly noticeable and IMO a little questionable in close competitive racing where every little thing makes a difference, in this case higher CG...though they are fantastically convenient in the maintenance department and somehow make my 86mm RM cars handle better...

Is it possible to make a derlin top main cover instead of aluminum? guess the question would become the durability of screw hole threads?

I can see it changing the CoG a little but it's 2-3 grams heavier and we're talk 2 grams vs 4-5 grams iirc. If you are running the alloy one with an 86mm setup I can see it having an impact but with larger wider setups I don't think it's as noticeable.

A few of the benefits of an aluminum top cover are rigidity, machine threads and it acts as a heat sink. But nothing is off the table here though so I can have the machinist make the entire unit out of delrin. I will say this though the new top cover will weigh less than my original unit.

If a delrin serves to be a better option I can do it. If the delrin doesn't hold up well we can insert a helicoil.

byebye
2015.01.20, 06:24 PM
Sounds good. I have 2 of your top covers.

You do, thanks for your support Larry ;):cool:

mleemor60
2015.01.20, 06:36 PM
The bye-bye version is .4g less than the Reflex unit. if you shorten the DPS mounting horns to the same height as stock you can get a full gram off which makes it only 1.2g more than stock. At that weight it is worth the add for the additional structural stiffness.

byebye
2015.01.20, 06:42 PM
The bye-bye version is .4g less than the Reflex unit. if you shorten the DPS mounting horns to the same height as stock you can get a full gram off which makes it only 1.2g more than stock. At that weight it is worth the add for the additional structural stiffness.

The original units will be used for this new kit. The horns can be shortened. Some of the material on the inside needs to be removed to fit the VE boards. I am also going to remove material off the top creating fins to help dissipate heat. There will also be new holes for the leds for each of the different boards.

Thanks for weighing them Mike. Unfortunately I had to leave most of my stuff with the machinist to use for measuring.

lfisminiz
2015.01.20, 07:26 PM

Good thinking, Mike.:)

DMALMAD
2015.01.20, 07:29 PM
What are the advantages of your front end going to be compared to a for example the pn double a-arm? Will the front end be compatible without the chassis plate? Sounds very interesting I can't wait to see pictures:)

byebye
2015.01.20, 07:39 PM
What are the advantages of your front end going to be compared to a for example the pn double a-arm? Will the front end be compatible without the chassis plate? Sounds very interesting I can't wait to see pictures:)

That's a good question. Foremost is price. Second is ease of use. Third it's made in AMERICA!

The design of the front end will have adjustable camber built into it but can be used with the stock upper arms. You can also use aftermarket tower bars since the adjustable camber brackets are removable.

I can't wait to see pictures myself really. My machinist' CNC machine is down for maintenance and repairs for the next few days so he has time to put it all into the machine software and run some simulations.

mugler
2015.01.21, 07:29 PM
I can see it changing the CoG a little but it's 2-3 grams heavier and we're talk 2 grams vs 4-5 grams iirc. If you are running the alloy one with an 86mm setup I can see it having an impact but with larger wider setups I don't think it's as noticeable.

A few of the benefits of an aluminum top cover are rigidity, machine threads and it acts as a heat sink. But nothing is off the table here though so I can have the machinist make the entire unit out of delrin. I will say this though the new top cover will weigh less than my original unit.

If a delrin serves to be a better option I can do it. If the delrin doesn't hold up well we can insert a helicoil.

Like the helicoil insert idea if it comes to that...also would be nice if there were helicoil insert offerings available to be installed inside screw holes for front body clips, the most strip prone part of the chassis.

As a practical matter would be nice to have the front clip be a 2 piece job so the entire front suspension doesn't need disassembling when working on the board in the back side of the car...a slit on top cover right after side clips ...I guess it can still be DIY like I've seen on some PN team cars but nice if it already came that way.

byebye
2015.01.21, 09:53 PM
Like the helicoil insert idea if it comes to that...also would be nice if there were helicoil insert offerings available to be installed inside screw holes for front body clips, the most strip prone part of the chassis.

As a practical matter would be nice to have the front clip be a 2 piece job so the entire front suspension doesn't need disassembling when working on the board in the back side of the car...a slit on top cover right after side clips ...I guess it can still be DIY like I've seen on some PN team cars but nice if it already came that way.

My machinist has helicoils threaded for our 2mm machines screws commonly used in our scale. He showed them to me and said we could integrate them into the delrin but the cost goes up. I can get the specs from him and see how to integrate them into the front body clip screw holes. Doesn't seem terribly difficult.

Regarding the 2 piece job we haven't finalized the design but I did mention somthing similar to that to him.