PDA

View Full Version : Body Compatibility Question

matthen
2015.01.20, 05:55 PM
I have never run anything other than a Mini-Z monster and Mini-Z buggy. How do I know whether an auto scale body is compatible with the MA-020 chassis? I know it has a new front end, etc.

Thanks in advance.

byebye
2015.01.20, 06:52 PM
I have never run anything other than a Mini-Z monster and Mini-Z buggy. How do I know whether an auto scale body is compatible with the MA-020 chassis? I know it has a new front end, etc.

Thanks in advance.

The quick down and dirty is the MA-020 chassis sets and MR-03 chassis sets usually come with all the parts needed to run a narrow or wide body. They also come with the mid-mount and rear-mount to run the various wheelbases.

All the auto scale bodies (new in package) come with the associated wheels. On the packaging some are labeled as compatible with awd or mr-03. Keep this in mind when choosing a body for the awd chassis as the mr-03 wheels have a different hub than the awd.

Kris

matthen
2015.01.21, 08:27 PM
Thank you for the concise summary. I think you got me on the right track.

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like the MA-020 Chassis can be tuned (with available parts) to fit the width and wheel base of various MR-030 bodies. I am not certain if this means that all/most MR-030 bodies will work, but some certainly will. The implication is that, if I am interested in an MR-030 body (and if "all MR-030" are not compatible), I should poke around to see if others have had success using that body with the MA-020. However, if I do purchase an MR-030 body, I would definitely need to add my own AWD wheels, as the wheels that come with the MR-030 bodies are not compatible with the MA-020 axles. Did I understand your post correctly?

This has also helped clarify Kyosho's description of the MA-020 chassis. It states: "most MINI-Z 01/015 body styles can be installed" using the narrowest chassis design. I assume that this is a bit like fitting a MR-030 body, just with different chassis settings. Kyosho caveats their statement with "most". It seems that I may have to do some tweaking to get a MR-010/015 body to work (or it may not work at all for some reason).

Finally, I hope I know the answer to my next question, but just to make sure: Is the MA-020 chassis going to be compatible with previous AWD bodies (e.g., those designated compatible with the MA-010 and/or MA-015)? I have never actually held one, but the parts list and general profile seem like they might be similar enough for these to just drop on.

Thanks again for all your help.

byebye
2015.01.21, 10:03 PM
Yeah that's the gist of it. I think you got it. If you know specifically which body just post it here and one of us will chime in.

Look here - http://shop.tinyrc.com/home.php?cat=552 for awd wheels on sale.

The caveat "most" is the limitations of the chassis length. The awd is 90mm-98mm if I'm not mistaken.

Kris

arch2b
2015.01.22, 06:00 AM
The caveat covers narrow bodies released during mr-01 and mr-015 period that are thinner than mr-02 and mr-03 chassis. There 'may' be a few that don't fit without looking off as the sides are pulled out.
And of course 86mm are to short for AWD.

KWT
2015.01.22, 04:21 PM
The MA020 chassis is also higher than a MR03.