PDA

View Full Version : My first mr03s

stefano225
2015.01.27, 12:43 PM
Hi all , this is my first post on this forum my background love pretty much any remote control , got many rc cars from 1/24 scale (xmods , 1 I waver 02 redcat truck etc ) few 1/18 scale cars /trucks , 1/10 scale cars/trucks nitro and electric.Also I fly planes from micro all away to 60 inch wingspan and helis up to 400.This is my first mini z and love it so far I installed bearings and X speed motor on the way, but enjoying the stock version so far , no racing just basement fun on a homemade foam track (24◊24 rubber mats 6' by 12' track ).My question is which aluminum motor mount can accommodate the stock or X speed motor and wich differential should I upgrade to or any other thoughts as far as upgrade .Thank you in advance .

stefano225
2015.01.27, 12:50 PM
Forgot to mention I got this little guy
Kyosho 1/27 MR-03S Ferrari 458 Italia GT2 Mini-Z RTR.

ChiMiniRc
2015.01.27, 02:43 PM
You mentioned you had the x-speed motor on the way but I would hold off. Few tracks have enough space to realistically get more speed. If you want to test it to see go ahead but Iíd recommend sticking with the stock speed motor.
Also the sport series seems to not like faster motors as much and problems have been reported. If it an x-speed motor it will at least have the polycap installed (orange square capacitor looking thing) on the motor. That acts as a bit of a circuit break if the loads get too high.

Others should chime in but I donít think an aluminum motor mount should come into play this soon. A ball diff and disk damper can make some pretty quick improvements to handling. You hadnít mentioned it but hopefully you are not using the tires the car came with.
Kyosho 20 degree rear radials and 30 degree slick fronts are a great start.

stefano225
2015.01.27, 03:40 PM
Actually I used the stock tires the car came with,didn't notice any sliding on the track I am using compared to my iwaver 02 that was sliding all over the place .I will get and try 20 radials rear and 30 slick front.I'm enjoying the stock set up so far and the way the car handles the turns and straight line,and holding up on the x speed upgrade guess no need for such small track plenty power stock.You mention problems with motor upgrades? like what exactly, don't really feel like Fet upgrade yet.I did call Kyosho tech and asked about x speed motor was told that was fine,I am puzzled now.Any good online place to get tires and parts not to expensive besides deals on ebay ?Thank You for any inputs .

ChiMiniRc
2015.01.27, 04:19 PM
Actually I used the stock tires the car came with,didn't notice any sliding on the track I am using compared to my iwaver 02 that was sliding all over the place .I will get and try 20 radials rear and 30 slick front.I'm enjoying the stock set up so far and the way the car handles the turns and straight line,and holding up on the x speed upgrade guess no need for such small track plenty power stock.You mention problems with motor upgrades? like what exactly, don't really feel like Fet upgrade yet.I did call Kyosho tech and asked about x speed motor was told that was fine,I am puzzled now.Any good online place to get tires and parts not to expensive besides deals on ebay ?Thank You for any inputs .

The results on faster motors seems to be mixed. I've read here and club members have experienced damanged electronics from using anything but stock. Even PN says their 70t is NOT for the sport series. Don't know what it is or a certain batch. I can say the Kyosho X-Speed is likey safest as it does have the polycap and I hear the sport series lists it as an option part.

mleemor60
2015.01.27, 05:42 PM
Tiny RC for all your mini-Z needs. Click the "shop" tab at the top of the page.

stefano225
2015.01.28, 07:27 AM
Is this a good damper? http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/f04AAOSwiCRUf0To/$_35.JPG
Kyosho Mini-Z MR-03 Rolling Damper For Mini-Z MR03 3Racing

mleemor60
2015.01.28, 08:56 AM
As opposed to which other? Have you shopped our Forum benefactor, "Tiny RC", yet?

stefano225
2015.01.28, 01:23 PM
As opposed to which other? Have you shopped our Forum benefactor, "Tiny RC", yet?

Didn't see much in stock selection on Tiny RC.

mleemor60
2015.01.28, 05:05 PM
Always try there first. Right now they are working on a very large inventory purchase.

stefano225
2015.01.28, 05:22 PM
Always try there first. Right now they are working on a very large inventory purchase.

Will do ;)

Solo1
2015.01.29, 09:31 AM
Hi I have a couple o3s's too and am now running a pn 70 turn in a pnv4lcg motorpod with a pn gear diff and am enjoying it very much (except i droped a screw in by the motor wires when installling the shock and burned reverse on the fet) very quiet compared to stock and very good handling!:D

stefano225
2015.01.29, 01:55 PM
Hi I have a couple o3s's too and am now running a pn 70 turn in a pnv4lcg motorpod with a pn gear diff and am enjoying it very much (except i droped a screw in by the motor wires when installling the shock and burned reverse on the fet) very quiet compared to stock and very good handling!:D

Thanks for the info are you still running stock fets or upgraded ?Where did you get parts from?

Solo1
2015.01.31, 11:04 AM
Stock fets work fine so long as you don't drop anything in by the motor wires while car is powered! Lol and make sure the wire ends don't touch anything else when you hook them up. Most of my parts have come from kenon hobby just google it and it will take you there. I will be upgrading fets to correct the reverse problem but that was my fault and am still running the car with no reverse

stefano225
2015.02.08, 08:28 PM

I took your advise and order some parts I needed after breaking one steering knuckle,great service got it in 3 days to PA :).

Mike Keely
2015.10.25, 09:10 AM
Has anyone had a issue with the sport version shutting down after about 4-5 minutes of running the car? We never had this issue before but we did just put 2 new boxes of track together yesterday.

We think that it may be a static issue that is causing this problem. This was on a LM car.

We switched the tires off on my LM car and we stopped having the problem. We put the box stock tires back on the car and it would do the same thing after 4-5 minutes of running. Any thoughts?????

mugler
2015.10.26, 02:56 PM
Has anyone had a issue with the sport version shutting down after about 4-5 minutes of running the car? We never had this issue before but we did just put 2 new boxes of track together yesterday.

We think that it may be a static issue that is causing this problem. This was on a LM car.

We switched the tires off on my LM car and we stopped having the problem. We put the box stock tires back on the car and it would do the same thing after 4-5 minutes of running. Any thoughts?????

No experience with with sport chassis but had shutting down issues with mr-02 ex, the culprit was the large square yellow cap on motor, took it off no more shut downs. LM tire diameter being larger than normal tires will heat up motor to higher temps (larger rollout #)...cap is designed to protect against overheating but not needed with non sport boards.

Mike Keely
2015.10.26, 09:29 PM
If it was the yellow square circuit breaker we would still have steering. We have nothing. I was also thinking about that we had another S kit that was not a LM car doing the same thing.