PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Infrared Detecting Drag Strip

Jshwaa
2015.02.02, 07:35 AM
Just had an idea for an automated drag strip racing system, and I'd like to bounce the idea off of the group....

I'd like to design a drag strip which has infrared detectors at the start/finish, which can give accurate drag times, and catch faulty starts. The track would be a scaled quarter mile.

Does this sound interesting to anyone, or are we all track racers here? Has this already been done? Thanks in advance.

ChiMiniRc
2015.02.02, 09:34 AM
Just had an idea for an automated drag strip racing system, and I'd like to bounce the idea off of the group....

I'd like to design a drag strip which has infrared detectors at the start/finish, which can give accurate drag times, and catch faulty starts. The track would be a scaled quarter mile.

Does this sound interesting to anyone, or are we all track racers here? Has this already been done? Thanks in advance.

I tried it once at a race with the Traxxas drag timing system. It was fun for a little while but that group clearly wanted to get back to racing. Those that seemed more interested clearly wanted a faster, more "open" rule class.

Outside of interest, the Traxxas system worked pretty well. Given it is ready to go out of the box and has a nice iphone interface, I think if you were interested you could just purchase one of those. Otherwise it could be a fun electronics project.

Jshwaa
2015.02.02, 12:22 PM
I tried it once at a race with the Traxxas drag timing system. It was fun for a little while but that group clearly wanted to get back to racing. Those that seemed more interested clearly wanted a faster, more "open" rule class.

Outside of interest, the Traxxas system worked pretty well. Given it is ready to go out of the box and has a nice iphone interface, I think if you were interested you could just purchase one of those. Otherwise it could be a fun electronics project.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, obviously some of us have the luxury of living near a community of mini-z racers, but a number of us are loners with no nearby venues to race at. I thought it may be neat to come up with a standard for people to compare performance without having to physically meet. This is one of the motivating factors behind the development of my dynamometer, but I realize that once I have designed the dynamometer, I still have no way to physically compare to anyone else's setup, only my own. This is OK, but I'm sure that there are mini-z enthusiasts out there that want to know where they stand.