PDA

View Full Version : mr03 sports differential question

stefano225
2015.02.09, 02:40 PM
I wanted to try a ball differential so I ordered one on ebay, to my surprise it dosn't line up with the pinion my question is do I need to get a motor mount in order to use the ball differential or did I get the wrong part ?

mleemor60
2015.02.09, 03:31 PM
When you say it won't line up with the pinion what specifically do you mean? No gear contact? contacts mostly to the inside? Outside? What brand? What gear pitch? How many teeth on the spur? There is likely a very small number on it to give you the count. If you are using the stock motor pod you will have to match the tooth count with the stock gear. If you go to an aftermarket motor pod you will need one that accepts non screw mount motors or replace the motor as well.

Visit our benefactor at Tiny RC for the widest selection from most all of the manufacturers. Make sure if you choose this path to match the motor pod to your specific wheelbase.

arch2b
2015.02.09, 03:52 PM
LM vs. standard length diff shaft?

KWT
2015.02.09, 04:06 PM
LM vs. standard length diff shaft?

Or different pitch gears?

TheSteve
2015.02.09, 04:40 PM
Which model number did you buy?

stefano225
2015.02.09, 04:58 PM
I am still using stock motor pod and stock pinion there is very little contact with gear only the pinion tip.This is the differential I got http://www.*******om/itm/181631971825?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

KWT
2015.02.09, 05:06 PM
That link won't help since this site won't allow it to be posted. Just tell us which diff you bought. Manufacturer and part number.

stefano225
2015.02.09, 05:39 PM
The item description reads:KYOSHO MINI Z DELRIN BALL DIFF ASSY AND AXLE SET MEGATECH MTC22436 excuse my ignorance I thought that would have been a drop in part.Here is a picture http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b617/stefano2251/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/20150209_174642_zpsbrdproxv.jpg

mleemor60
2015.02.09, 06:59 PM
On some of the differentials you can unscrew the tensioner and dismantle to flip the spur gear over which on some will move the spur teeth closer to being in line with the pinion. You may also be able to slide the pinion gear ever so slightly toward the spur to get a better tooth contact. Before doing anything you should dismantle the dif, sand the plates flat with at least 600 paper and then assemble using Associated black dif grease on the dif balls only. Once this is done go ahead and install, set tension and go. Re adjust as needed to obtain the driving feel you want.

In the future though this is an area you don't want to skimp on price. So much about how the car drives and handles comes from a high quality well built and broken in differential. You would be wise to stick to the offerings from Atomic, Kyosho or PN. I have had no dealings with the offering from X-Power but it is quite likely on par with the ones mentioned. The same goes for motor pods and all other aluminum accessories.

The bitter taste of low quality lasts much, much longer than the brief sweetness of low price. We have all been there.

xmodcanuck
2015.02.09, 07:25 PM
Unfortunately Megatech isn't a current manufacturer of mini-z parts so that is likely a ball diff for an MR01. Nothing you do will make it fit a current motor pod. Cut your losses and get a diff from a current manufacturer - Kyosho, PN, Atomic, XPower.

DMALMAD
2015.02.10, 02:02 AM
of the three x-power diff has the highest quality diff plates. They are the hardest and at the same time smoothest. They require no sanding and don't require the frequent maintance to keep the pn or atomic diffs smooth. Therefore I would recomend the xpower diff as I have to rebuild my pn diff every 2 weeks and I have only relubed my xpower diff once in over the 3 months I have been using it.:)

stefano225
2015.02.10, 08:05 AM
of the three x-power diff has the highest quality diff plates. They are the hardest and at the same time smoothest. They require no sanding and don't require the frequent maintance to keep the pn or atomic diffs smooth. Therefore I would recomend the xpower diff as I have to rebuild my pn diff every 2 weeks and I have only relubed my xpower diff once in over the 3 months I have been using it.:)

where do you get the xpower diff and will it fit stock motor pod?

DMALMAD
2015.02.10, 08:10 AM
In the US MAJS hobby shop is the distributor, You can give them a call and order over the phone or you you can go to X-power's website. Just search X-powerrc in google.

mleemor60
2015.02.10, 10:28 AM

Could you provide some data or perhaps a source for the information that contends or at least supposes that their plates are the hardest and flattest? Are they circular or D-ring? At least a specific part number for the plates? I'm always interested in an upgrade.

mleemor60
2015.02.10, 10:31 AM
where do you get the xpower diff and will it fit stock motor pod?

It will fit the stock pod. Just be sure to order it with 48P gears to insure compatibility with what you have.

mleemor60
2015.02.10, 10:36 AM
In the US MAJS hobby shop is the distributor, You can give them a call and order over the phone or you you can go to X-power's website. Just search X-powerrc in google.

There are others in the US as well. Check the dealer locator on the X-Power site. It would depend on where you are located geographically as to which one you might use. I have visited and shopped in both and they are top notch facilities.

DMALMAD
2015.02.10, 01:10 PM
x-power uses 7075 t6 aluminum while pn are definetly not 7075. The pn get the ring ridge almost imediatly and upon inspection the x-power is just now starting to form a ring in the couple of months I have been using them.

Jshwaa
2015.02.10, 01:40 PM
I have the same questions floating in my head...

Where is a comprehensive source of information regarding parts compatibility for these cars?

Can someone, ANYONE, just tell me the lightest and strongest ball diff kit to buy? I don't care about teeth pitch. Just narrow it down to whatever choices are best for a MR-03S. Thanks.

mleemor60
2015.02.10, 03:03 PM
x-power uses 7075 t6 aluminum while pn are definetly not 7075. The pn get the ring ridge almost imediatly and upon inspection the x-power is just now starting to form a ring in the couple of months I have been using them.

7075-T6 is a grade for hardness and machinability for aluminum. I have to assume the discs are made of some ferrous metal like every other manufacturer. So. Back to the original question. Is there a basis for the statement? Actual information from the seller that supports the theory and conjecture stated. Although I have never had an issue with the existing products I am open for a better part.

DMALMAD
2015.02.10, 03:28 PM
any diff from kyosho, pn, atomic, and xpower are all very simmilar. The lightest ones will always be the custom built ones using reflex and qteq part however when you really try to build the ultimate stock diff (built for light weight) you are looking at over 60-70 dollars to do it right. I have had good experience with both the pn and xpower diff. While there is no quantafiable evidence to suggest that the xpower diffs are harder or smoother, from my own experience and the experience of multiple other racers who actually know what we are doing and race at a high level, xpower diff plates are the strongest and require the least mantainance and sanding.

Rune
2015.03.05, 01:56 PM

The diff rings are not made of aluminum. Ceramic or steel balls would eat aluminium at a fast rate.
The shaft from PN are made of 7075 alu, and as another posted has said that is a number that describes the hardness and machinability etc.