PDA

View Full Version : Any good tire turer for mini-z?

ilove599xx
2015.02.14, 12:19 PM
Where can I find a good tire truer for mini-z online?

Is that really necessary? Do you guys all got one? What manufacture?

I ve searched online a bit and they all seems a bit expensive.

cowboysir
2015.02.14, 12:51 PM
i use the one from Hudy. It is initially meant for slotcar but Hudy and Kenon have built a conversion for 2wd tire sets. You can find them at RCKenon (and likely at other Z sites)

Expensive is a matter of opinion....for the amount I use mine I'd agree its not the most practical tool in your Z box.

They aren't really needed if you aren't at a premier level. Follow the practice of preparing your tires/rims with a solid tire tape (or even glue them as i do) and get as many practice laps as possible to break them in. Most times getting enough running to work the surface flat after mounting is enough for club level racing.

arch2b
2015.02.14, 01:34 PM
are they necessary, not entrirely so. practice after all will do the same thing at no additional cost. are they handy in prepping tires for drop and go, sure. most of the top club and travel guys have their own truer. we have a club truer that all can use for free as well. :p i've only seen people use Hudy.

briankstan
2015.02.14, 02:03 PM
I also have one that our entire club uses 1 per club is really all that is needed. There are some people that need to have their own though.

ilove599xx
2015.02.17, 02:09 AM
are they necessary, not entrirely so. practice after all will do the same thing at no additional cost. are they handy in prepping tires for drop and go, sure. most of the top club and travel guys have their own truer. we have a club truer that all can use for free as well. :p i've only seen people use Hudy.

really? I wanted to know cos one of the threads in this forum said that tire truer is necessary????????

as a newbie, my club members told me my tires are not round,

so isn't that important to have a tire truer?

ilove599xx
2015.02.17, 02:53 AM
i use the one from Hudy. It is initially meant for slotcar but Hudy and Kenon have built a conversion for 2wd tire sets. You can find them at RCKenon (and likely at other Z sites)

Expensive is a matter of opinion....for the amount I use mine I'd agree its not the most practical tool in your Z box.

They aren't really needed if you aren't at a premier level. Follow the practice of preparing your tires/rims with a solid tire tape (or even glue them as i do) and get as many practice laps as possible to break them in. Most times getting enough running to work the surface flat after mounting is enough for club level racing.

alright, club members make fun of my tires a lot, they do ask me use glue, I will try that first

ilove599xx
2015.02.17, 02:57 AM

one more stupid question, when you use glue on tires , when the tires are done, can you still keep the wheel? or you can clean them?

mleemor60
2015.02.17, 06:39 AM
In reverse order, yes. You can re use your wheels if they are of good quality to begin with such as delrin. Immerse the tire/wheel assembly in Lacquer thinner over nite and the glue will release. Once the tire has been removed you should promptly clean the wheel of residue and you will be good to go. Or, you can invest in some of the Kyosho Route 246 tire tape and avoid the other process completely.

As mentioned. Turning practice laps will in fact(true) scrub off the outer surface of the tire further readying it for competition so you can use that method if you wish. It is NOT necessary to true the tires by machine, just quicker and it does or should insure that your circumferences are the same front and rear.

Racing surface and tire selection(read manufacturer) dictate relative merits of truing as well as suspension set up. The advent of more exotic components have created set ups that can induce traction rolling and too soft compounds so truing the tires to nearly throw away size has become somewhat of a necessary evil like it did in some of the larger scales.

Set your car up so that it is comfortable for "YOU" to drive. As you gain experience and knowledge you can look to the more exotic and bling oriented kibble and bits that we all love but don't go down a road just because someone says you have to.

If you are going to purchase a truer then the Hudy is the way to go. Though pricey, it is a very high quality component as all things from Hudy are.

DMALMAD
2015.02.17, 07:16 PM
A tire truer is absolutely neccesary if you are looking to compete. If you are not looking to improve or excel at being a competitive racer than maybe you can get away with borrowing someone elses but from personal experience from going from last place in the b-main to winning or contending fot the amian win in a very competitve environment the it was most valuable tool I ever bought. It is neccesary because to get repeatibility in your tires you need to true to a specific height. What this means is if you find a good setup and ridehieght setting you know that you can go back to that exact feeling that the car gives you while if you don't have a truer you will never be able to expect how your car will handle as you go through the race night or over multiple races. I go into more detail here: https://docs.google.com/a/students.spprep.org/document/d/1LdbAWTyLvu8tFdMRGxkgJxILyqZ_doV9YmBGP0Q61qc/edit

And the first thing I recomend to new racers is to invest in good batteries a good charger and discharger and a tire truer with the tire truer being the first thing they should get. A tire truer is a must for competitve racing but like I said if you aren't worried about being competitve than maybe it isn't for you as it is kinda expensive however if you wait pn is coming out with their own truer and it is supposed to be pretty affordable.