PDA

View Full Version : 2.4ghz antenna alternative?

herman
2015.04.05, 10:44 AM
Greetings, was wondering if I can use any type of wire to replace the stock wire that came with the chassis. Mine just came off the other day. Would any stranded wire do? What gauge? Would the softer silicone covered wire be any better? How long should it be? Would a longer or shorter length be better or should it be a specific length? What would be a more sturdier alternative? Welcoming any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any reply.

Jshwaa
2015.04.05, 11:19 AM
Greetings, was wondering if I can use any type of wire to replace the stock wire that came with the chassis. Mine just came off the other day. Would any stranded wire do? What gauge? Would the softer silicone covered wire be any better? How long should it be? Would a longer or shorter length be better or should it be a specific length? What would be a more sturdier alternative? Welcoming any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any reply.

I would aim for the same length and composition. There is a lot of theory behind the geometry of the antenna and how it picks up the signal. You may get away with altering, however I trust that the designers did their homework and the length/composition of the antenna wire is specific to the frequency of the transmitted signal. Lengthening the antenna will definitely not help. The higher the frequency, the shorter the antenna is required to be, as the length of the antenna is directly related to the wavelength of the signal. Higher frequency=shorter wavelength=shorter antenna.

Be real careful with soldering a new wire on, as there are components critical to reception close to the antenna connection. The white goo is to help give the antenna some strain relief and protect those components. Beware of static!

arch2b
2015.04.05, 02:35 PM
reflex racing sold the only 2.4 antenna replacement (http://www.reflexracing.net/Reflex-Racing-24GHz-ASF-Replacement-Board-Antenna_p_34.html) that i recall. i do recall it being longer as well. i actually have one installed as the stock stranded wire tends to break over time and or the sheath creep up exposing the wire at the base.

LED
2015.04.05, 02:45 PM
I simply replaced it with an electric wire the same length (important!!), and a little bit thicker. It was flexible copper stranded wire. No problem what so ever with range or reception. It's basicly what the reflex antenna is also, but over prized :p

herman
2015.04.06, 11:34 PM
many thanks for all replies, very much appreciated. anybody else have their antennas coming off? what did you do?

byebye
2015.04.07, 05:33 AM
Everything I've read points at 3cm. 2.4ghz frequencies at 1/4 wavelength uses only 3cm of the antenna.

I've also read the antenna should be straight up and down and have a clear sheathing if possible.

I've replaced mine hear and there but I typically just remount the original.

Kris

poochy
2015.04.08, 01:23 PM
how does the mr03 run when the antennae falls off? do i need to worry about it?
mine is starting the shred

Jshwaa
2015.04.08, 05:19 PM
how does the mr03 run when the antennae falls off? do i need to worry about it?
mine is starting the shred

Reduced range. Hot glue works well to replenish your strain relief at the base of the antenna wire.

TheSteve
2015.04.08, 07:11 PM
Any stranded and insulated wire about 1.1 inches long will work just fine.

arch2b
2015.04.08, 08:04 PM
Does the strand count and or wire metal make a difference? Back in the AM days I bought a bunch of different types of wire to find the best performing wire. I had solid magnet wire, high strand wire, silver wire and a few other but 2.4 was announced and dropped the experiment.

TheSteve
2015.04.08, 08:49 PM
Does the strand count and or wire metal make a difference? Back in the AM days I bought a bunch of different types of wire to find the best performing wire. I had solid magnet wire, high strand wire, silver wire and a few other but 2.4 was announced and dropped the experiment.

You'll never see a difference, just pick anything that fits nicely.

poochy
2015.04.09, 09:17 AM
Reduced range. Hot glue works well to replenish your strain relief at the base of the antenna wire.

what kind of hot glue?

Jshwaa
2015.04.09, 02:30 PM
what kind of hot glue?

HOT GLUE GUN (http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-2609/Glue-Guns-and-Glue-Sticks/3M-Scotch-Weld-AE-II-Glue-Gun?pricode=WY624&gadtype=pla&id=H-2609&gclid=CJqsg9r66cQCFVKAaQodDB4AGQ&gclsrc=aw.ds)

There are cheaper versions of course, but 3M hot glue works fine. I believe most craft stores carry them. What's nice about the hot glue is that it is fairly firm but never permanent. In the event that it wears out, like the original white goo does, just put on another dab.

herman
2015.05.21, 05:29 AM
finally got around to installing the antenna a couple of weeks back... not too much of a biggie after all... had to remember using a clean soldering iron tip... my other soldering iron tip was all black and it was a bit frustrating at first, until i used another soldering iron that was much cleaner (and newer)... used a similar wire... and it worked fine... hope to post pics when i get the chance... didn't get around to use the hot glue gun though... can you post a pic of how it'll look like with the hot glue on the board?