PDA

View Full Version : EX-1 KIY vs Euros

Tjay
2015.08.06, 02:30 AM
Getting rid of my glitch (Futaba 3PK)....

1. Can I use the EX1 (with the mini z module that it comes with) with MRO3 (for brush motor) board? Will it pair without a problem (especially glitch)?

2. Anyone want to share their experience with ex1 vs euros?

Thank you,
Tj

Rune
2015.08.06, 06:00 PM
Getting rid of my glitch (Futaba 3PK)....

1. Can I use the EX1 (with the mini z module that it comes with) with MRO3 (for brush motor) board? Will it pair without a problem (especially glitch)?

2. Anyone want to share their experience with ex1 vs euros?

Thank you,
Tj

1. If it is the 902 ASF module. The 901 module also works but have a tendency to glitch on larger events. It looses bind. 902 is trouble free.
2. KIY. I loved it until the steering broke, and the throttle pot broke, and the throttle ot broke again, and the steering broke again........ It is a good radio but not very reliable. From 7 of the KIY's at our track, only one has been operating without something going bad.

The Eurus is almost undistructable.

DMALMAD
2015.08.06, 07:14 PM
Don't have the KIY but at my local track I think every KIY has had to either been sent back for repair or repaired locally. Like Rune mentioned the reliability is not there. I have seen, the trigger, the steering wheel adapter, the pots, even the antena broken. Maybe there has been some driver error but I have dropped my helios a million times, the thing is held together by ca, and it is still kicking. I think most of the issues have been resolved by the V.3 KIY but when the time comes for me to get a new radio I will be staying away from the KIY like the it is the plague. Just my honest opinion but stick with the eurus or Helios as there is little to know advantage with the KIY but a lot more headache and $$$.

Tjay
2015.08.06, 07:30 PM
Thanks guys! Good info!

I found this: http://www.mini-z-guide.com/MR03.htm and I'm going to check on my board hopefully it's just the on/off switch... If not, I'll get that EURUS + 902's. Thanks again!

lfisminiz
2015.08.06, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys! Good info!

I found this: http://www.mini-z-guide.com/MR03.htm and I'm going to check on my board hopefully it's just the on/off switch... If not, I'll get that EURUS + 902's. Thanks again!

Hi Tjay. Getting back into it! :)

lfisminiz
2015.08.06, 09:30 PM
By the way... i like both radios. Ive been using the KIY since it came out. at the beginning i had to get pot/trigger repaired but trouble free since then. In a drop test the Eurus would be stronger but i like the feel of the KIY better. Then again, im pretty carefull with my R.C. equipment.

Tjay
2015.08.06, 11:23 PM
Larry? Just scratching the itch. �� Thanks!

lfisminiz
2015.08.07, 12:05 AM
Keep scrathing that itch....your always a welcome to the mini-z community. ;)

Tjay
2015.08.07, 01:30 AM
Thank you. :)

Rune
2015.08.07, 10:46 AM
The KIY is a good radio. Dont misunderstand me. It is the relability problems that bugs me.
It has fantastic menus and is good in use. I have never had a radio that feels so good in my hands (even with the funky top heavy design).

We have all versions at the track, and all of them has had issues.
No dropping or hard use. Only sudden problems without ouside cause.

Example. My steering suddenly broke in the middle of a qualifyer. The plastic that attaches to the steering pot was cracked down the middle. This has happened to 4 radios I have seen.
Atomic even made an aluminium version of it so I think this is a quite common problem.
My radio had never been dropped, and I never drive like "clack-clack" max input all the time.

lfisminiz
2015.08.07, 08:46 PM
The KIY is a good radio. Dont misunderstand me. It is the relability problems that bugs me.
It has fantastic menus and is good in use. I have never had a radio that feels so good in my hands (even with the funky top heavy design).

We have all versions at the track, and all of them has had issues.
No dropping or hard use. Only sudden problems without ouside cause.

Example. My steering suddenly broke in the middle of a qualifyer. The plastic that attaches to the steering pot was cracked down the middle. This has happened to 4 radios I have seen.
Atomic even made an aluminium version of it so I think this is a quite common problem.
My radio had never been dropped, and I never drive like "clack-clack" max input all the time.

Rune, its a shame for such a good radio. Any of your guys have a fairly new one? Any possible difference?

Rune
2015.08.08, 03:48 PM
Rune, its a shame for such a good radio. Any of your guys have a fairly new one? Any possible difference?

A guy with a new V3 showed up today. Hopefully it will be trouble free. :)
Will keep you posted if problems arise :)

lfisminiz
2015.08.08, 04:08 PM
A guy with a new V3 showed up today. Hopefully it will be trouble free. :)
Will keep you posted if problems arise :)

Thanks...let us know. I guess I'm lucky although, I know I don't run nearly as much as you guys.

Rune
2015.08.08, 05:45 PM
Thanks...let us know. I guess I'm lucky although, I know I don't run nearly as much as you guys.

Not sure. Could be just bad luck for us also.
This is maybe the solution for the most usual problem:

http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/images/medium/atomic/AW-008_m.jpg

Or search for: Option Steering Crank for KO EX-1 K.I.Y

Tjay
2015.08.13, 06:42 AM
So, I went to the track again today and was able to test drive both spektrum and brushless setup. I also catched on the KIY's version 3 that Rune had mentioned from his previous post. Is there v4 coming out soon or v3 is good enough?

Rune, any update on the guy with the v3?

lfisminiz
2015.08.13, 01:01 PM
V3 is the latest. Haven't heard of a v4 yet. I just got the Kyosho EX6.....just coming out. Very nice radio. KO makes it. I'm liking it. :)

Tjay
2015.08.13, 04:19 PM
I looked that up (EX6) and the Mini-Z MR-03 VE Pro Chassis Kit. I think this would be a good combo. I wonder if these are already available in US market.

DMALMAD
2015.08.19, 12:17 AM
Watch the end of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHdWy95Qzu0

Almost want to get the VE Pro for the collectors tin lol :p

In all seriousness at 255$ (search RC_Mart com for kyosho syncro ex6) the radio has a lot of functionality at a great price with backwards compatibility. Can't say about the merit of its "4x response" but the features, look, and price lead me to believe it would be a worthwhile investment (I think the auto set steering balance alone is worth it). Not going to make the plunge as I have no need but if I go through both my Helios I would probably consider this over the ex-1 but I would also purchase the ex-1 steering wheel for looks and ergonomics.

If the v3 ex-1 really did solve the issues it would also be a price performer at 275$ (same place). I don't know the new pricing (due to what I would assume lack of sales resulting from durability issues :confused:) may have me reconsider a radio upgrade, this thread has really got me thinking :D

With futaba and airtronics recent offerings, ko propo seems much more cost effective, with the look and feel of the best of the best. I just wish the initial release price of the ex-1 wasn't upwards of 5 bills as I probably would have bought one then :p

Anyway just some food for thought...

*edit*
Just saw the same HK website mentioned earlier has the ve pro listed for 180$, not bad when you consider they have the regular ve with mclaren body for 170$. If you are hesitant about ordering from HK, don't be. You are not going to get anywhere near the prices they offer anywhere in the US and the shipping costs and time is very reasonable. I ordered some 10th TC parts from them and I think I paid like 10$ shipping on a 80$ order and got my package 7 days later. Practically the same as ordering from A-Main except I saved like 25$ lol

DMALMAD
2015.08.19, 12:44 AM
So, I went to the track again today and was able to test drive both spektrum and brushless setup.

I would stay away from the spektrum. Unless you are running a spektrum module in your helios with a decased spektrum micro reciever (like me :p) I would not go with that option and stick with the higher end radios. Don't know if you plan on running lipo anytime in the near future but in the event that people wake up and more people run lipo you will basically have to buy new boards and a new radio unless you want to just buy recievers and seperate esc. The PN spektrum board cannot handle lipo power (Just blows the board pretty much instantaenously) and even has some trouble with the mod motors (could be wrong though). Anyways if you plan on long term stick with the Ko Propo and Kyosho stuff as the Kyosho boards (at least in terms of compared to the PN) are superior. That said the throttle resolution and the drag brake leaves a lot to be desired on the kyosho, but I digress :p:rolleyes:

Anyways sorry for the off topic infomercial lol, back to your regular programed ex-1 v.s. Euros discussion :p