PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock seems kind of pointless....

mleroi
2002.08.18, 10:26 PM
Hey all-

Very cool site, very informative.
Anyway, I just got my mini-z a few days ago, and I also ordered a Powerline rear oil shock at the same time. First off, the shock is very big (I can see where it would be a REAL tight squeeze with a lower body) and it just barely fits under my Subaru WRX body. The shock really doesn't seem to do anything to improve the handling of the car. I was just wondering if anybody else has had that problem or if I just installed it wrong. Oh, I have a low motor mount set up so I screwed one end of the shock to the back of the motor holder piece, that's the only way I could see to mount the shock. Anyway, any help/feedback would be appreciated.

mini-z
2002.08.20, 12:50 PM
Well, does it compress when you push down on the car? If so, then it's working - you may not notice it now, but you will when you put more power in your car, and on higher traction surfaces.

mleroi
2002.08.20, 11:23 PM
Yes, it does compress when you push down on it, but you really have to push to get it to compress. The thing that gets me is that a new/harder H plate would probably accomplish the same thing as the shock, and take up less space too. I don't know....
Anyway, what about the Kyosho style shock, it looks ugly as sin (at least that's what I think :p )would it do the same job and be able to fit with a body that sits lower than my WRX? Its gotten pretty banged up by now and I'm looking to replace it. Thanks again!

323iT
2002.08.21, 04:01 PM
i agree. if you get a new H plate, you don't need the shock. thats why i have the shock but stock H plate:)

jeffrey
2002.08.22, 04:32 AM
I have a CF H-plate, a roll shock, and a rear damper, all hard!

I need all the suspension tweaks I can get at the rear with the turbo I running and the high grip surface I run on! try and drift at high speed and you do a barrel roll!

still fun:D

mini-z
2002.08.22, 08:52 PM
I agree with jeffrey, rear suspension is a must for racing.

racerdx6
2002.08.26, 10:17 PM
if you havent tried your rig without the shock system, how could you say it was pointless. i think you should try your z w/o the shock and give us your imput

mleroi
2002.08.27, 12:42 AM
Okay, I tried my mini-z without the shock and I really can't see a noticeable differance in performance in handling than with the shock installed. My point is this- I really can't say that I'm all that happy with my $12.99 powerline shock purchase (Although it does look pretty neat :D ) BTW, I drive my mini-z on the slick hardwood floors in my house and the smooth concrete floor in the garage if that makes any differance. I just think that a set of H plates with variable degrees of flex would be a better option for rear suspension, especially considering the fact that the rear mono-shocks don't fit under all the bodies that sit really low on the mini-z. The only case in which I think that a rear shock would really help is if you had a lot of weight on the back end, i.e. an alloy motor mount, alloy wheels, etc. (All of which I don't have :( , but will hopefully soon upgrade to once I get the cash) Anyway, I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Cleaner-Z
2002.08.27, 10:34 AM
I finally got a couple of hop-ups for my Mini-Z. Sorry but I've been running stock for a very long time and think I should upgrade so I eventually did, but not all the way yet, maybe this coming month I will have everything. :p Anywho, I see that my car is a little heavier with all the upgrades (so far) and it seems to handle pretty well. I went with NML to do that thingie thingie with MC4U and MC4U didn't show up (like NML stated a couple of days back) so I decided to push my baby to the limit. I ran her hard and fast (sounded almost kind of naughty, I appologize), I do a straight away, run it up the curve and blast right off the side walk, flipped it like there's no tomorrow, etc. I don't know what I was thinking while I was doing all that but I gotta say that my baby was ready for whatever I was going to give her, love her so much... ;) Until I did my last jump and my stock H-plate finally give up. I felt so bad but then again I switched out with NML CF plate and it runs beautifully again. Now NML is H-plateless and he will eventually kill me for taking his CF plate (he's cheap for having only one but I guess I'm even cheaper to be using his :p ha ha ha) Anyways, the whole point of this story is that I can tell by my personal experience that with all the upgrades that will make your Mini-Z heavier, the handeling will improve a whole lot. So get that upgrade and be as happy as me! ;) Or at least I think I'm happy...? Oh well, that's my life, confused everyday especially at work... Ha ha ha, just kidding.

Enjoy it (Life that is...),